Friday, October 13, 2017

Promo & Q&A with KATHERINE MCINTYRE on CAPTURED MEMORIES


1.  Tell us about your newest release.

Captured Memories is book three in the Cupid's Cafe series, which is a multi-author series I couldn't be more proud to be a part of. The whole concept behind Cupid's Cafe involved featuring heroes and heroines who are struggling with genuine and marginalized issues, characters who believe themselves too damaged to ever find love. The other authors of Cupid's Cafe and I are committed to making those voices heard, which is why I'm so thrilled to offer this latest contribution. Liv and Zane's story features a heroine who's struggling with the repercussions of getting assaulted in college, and a hero who fights the day to day battle of sobriety. Zane is Liv's brother's former best friend as well as the guy who got away, and when they reunite at Cupid's Cafe, sparks fly despite the demons they're both fighting.  


2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

That Louisville doesn't have a plethora of diners! I tend to set my contemporary stories in East Coast locales, because I like driving to the locations or featuring spots I've been to before, but as this was a multi-author series, Cupid's Cafe takes place in Louisville, Kentucky. So of course, I had some research to do. And I was more surprised than ever when I was talking to the other authors in the series and realized that diners aren't prevalent in the area (along the major cities of the East Coast, you can throw a stone and find a 24 hour diner where the coffee is free flowing), so what was once a diner in the manuscript turned into a Denny's. 

3.  How long have you been writing?

Since I was a kid. I mean, even in between taking notes at my college classes, I used to write lines of my manuscripts. I've been trying to tell stories for as long as I could, and the ideas just continue to flow. Honestly, the thing that would make me happiest is having a lifetime of stories to share, and I plan to keep writing as long as I'm able to. 

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

Too many authors to name. I've devoured books from a young age, and every story that I ripped through, the ones that have captivated and lingered, those influenced me each step of the way. I fall in love each time I start reading a book I can't put down. When I was younger, stories like The Chronicles of Narnia, The Chronicles of Prydain, and the Lioness Quartet helped me escape and dream. More recently, I've found myself smitten with Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series, and Sarah J Maas's A Court of Thorns and Roses series left a mark on my soul. As far as friends, I've got a tribe of talented authors who I respect wholeheartedly. We all support each other and vent together, making the often solitary job of writing a lot less lonesome! 

5.  What is a typical day like for you?

Well, I work a day job as a massage therapist, so I tend to work my daily writing goals in wherever I can snag them on those days. However, on my days off, I've got a pretty solid schedule worked out on the writing front. I usually get up early, do chores, brew coffee, go for a run, and then try to knock out a thousand to two thousand words before lunch. I break for a little bit to eat, and then rock into either more writing, or editing whatever other project I'm working on. Then, I keep jamming out until dinner time! Of course, things shift here and there, but I love, love, love what I do, so any chance I get, I'll make time for it.

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Apart from writing, I enjoy adventuring. By that, I mean planned or impromptu trips to new places, for the sole chance of exploring somewhere new. Just recently, my husband and I discovered that there was a park not even ten minutes from us with paths that traveled around the burned wreckage of a mill. I also love to wind down with a video game once in awhile--most of the time Bioware games, and predominantly Dragon Age. My friends and I enjoy playing board games too (I love the strategy ones), and I also have a history with tabletop RPG like Pathfinder D&D as well as White Wolf games! I also sometimes go down hobby wormholes too, like the times when I learned beer brewing, soapmaking, tea blending, and coffee roasting. 

7. Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

I've got quite a few things coming up! First off, Of Tinkers and Technomancers, a steampunk novella, will be coming out with After Glows Publishing, and A Reflection of Ice, a YA winter fairytale, will be coming out with Opal Moon Press! I also finished writing the second book in the Tribal Spirits series, so the folks who enjoyed book one, Forged Alliances, will love reading about Navi and Finn in Forged Decisions!

Finn had been avoiding Beaver Tavern all week.
            He sat in his Challenger, tapping ash out the window as he stared down Raven’s car in the parking lot. Sneaking around, hiding from her at every chance—he was being pure chickenshit right now. The Tavern had opened for the day, and ever since the night of Dax’s victory when he’d spent the night with Navi, he hadn’t wanted to face Raven. Hadn’t wanted to untangle the complicated whatever that they had been dancing around all these years. His wolf lunged inside him, demanding straightforwardness he couldn’t quite muster right now.
            He let out a stream of smoke, glancing to the time on his car’s interface. With the class he had in a half hour, he didn’t have enough time to dive into any sort of serious conversation with her. His throat tightened as his tires crunched over gravel and he began to wheel the car out of the lot. Even as he made the justifications in his mind, he knew he was hiding behind more excuses.
            A better man would’ve never strung Raven along this long, knowing at the end of the day they would never have a future together.
            Finn wasn’t a better man—hell, he wasn’t even a good man most days.

8. How can readers connect with you online?

I'm most active on Facebook, whether it be my page (http://www.facebook.com/kmcin tyreauthor) or my group (https://www.facebook.com/grou ps/1816179461992109/). I let my readers know about new releases, sales, and freebies with my newsletter (http://eepurl.com/cbxS9r), and my Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Kather ine-McIntyre/e/B00J8U4VNU) and Goodreads (https://www.goodreads.com/aut hor/show/6473654.Katherine_McI ntyre) pages have the current list of my works!
You can also find me at:
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/pixiera nts
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/autho rkmcintyre

No comments: