Tuesday, June 06, 2017

Promo: TURN ME LOOSE by Anne Calhoun


1.  Tell us about TURN ME LOOSE.
  
TURN ME LOOSE has a dynamic I've wanted to write for a really long time: a truly forbidden relationship. Ian Hawthorn is a young cop with a chip on his shoulder when he arrests college student Riva Hanneman for dealing drugs. He can't want her. It's immoral, just plain wrong, and career suicide - and Ian needs his career to feel whole. That doesn't stop him from wanting her. Riva's terrified of Ian, what he could do to her, what he can demand of her, and worst, that he might learn about the dark past that led her down this path. When they reconnect seven years later, they've got all kinds of baggage to work through. That kind of sexual tension and chemistry was so much fun to write! 

2.  What makes it special to you? 

This is the final book in my Alpha Ops series, so pulling all the characters together for one last hurrah was really special.

 3.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've thought about it for a long time, but I was in my early 30s before I actually committed to "butt in chair, words on page". 

 4. What is a typical writing day like?
  
I work in the mornings, so get up, get my kiddo to school, do my preplanning, then write until I meet my word goal. Without breaks I'm usually done by lunch. If I've got calls or appointments, it can take all day. I keep nights and weekends free for family. 

5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit? 

No. Sometimes I write to music, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I have pictures of hero/heroine models, or settings, close at hand, sometimes I don't. Sometimes I write at the kitchen table, sometimes in bed, sometimes in my office, sometimes at Starbucks. Probably my most consistent habit is that I do character worksheets, and plot/storyboard work before I start a book, and I plan the day's writing (a la Rachel Aaron) before I write.  

6. What has been one of the most surprising things you’ve learned as a published author?

 How little control I have over what my characters think, say, or do. ;) 

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
  
Early author influences include Kathleen Woodiwiss and old school Linda Howard. Early on in my writing career I read Megan Hart's Dirty and Broken. That's when I knew the kind of story I wanted to write had a home in the world.
  
8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They're very proud of me. 

 9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have? 

Reading, yoga, meditation, and I recently got back into horses, which takes up most of my free time and all of my disposable income. 
  
10. How can readers connect with you online?


Twitter: @annecalhoun or email anne@annecalhoun is best. I love hearing from readers!


No comments: