Friday, March 04, 2016

Bucket Lists with Roni Hall

Someone asked me recently what is the best thing about being a writer?

I thought I would have to think long and hard but I didn’t.  My debut novel, Montana Wild, was released just a little over a month ago and the launch has been fun. I didn’t keep my writing a secret yet I didn’t broadcast to a lot of friends that I had taken writing up ‘for fun’ a few years ago. But when my book was accepted for publication, I started to tell friends and family. From friends and strangers alike, there was a frequent common sentiment expressed. . . “Writing a book is on my bucket list.”

I never considered it to be on my bucket list. I never even had a bucket list, but the fact that I had accomplished something so many others longed to do made me feel good.
Naturally this got me to thinking…what is on my bucket list? And should a bucket list consist of things that realistically you could possibly achieve physically and within your budget. . .
or should a bucket list have no limitations at all?

“Every man dies – Not every man really lives.” ~ William Ross


Why even do a bucket list?

Some say it helps us focus on what we want to accomplish in our lives . . . and maybe even narrow it down to what we want to accomplish in the next year.

Goals remind us to focus.

Goals remind us to direct our energy to what matters, rather than letting each day pass by uneventfully. Look back at your last year. Can you recount highlights of things you did or experienced or does it seem like the past 365 days just blur together?

One thing I have learned, I try and you see I have underlined the word try, not to do things or spend time doing things that I don’t want to do…unless absolutely necessary and then hopefully the reason is to help someone out or to show them I care. Time is too precious to waste. Learn to be a bit selfish and say ‘no’ to things that are not important to you. I don’t want anyone to spend time with me if they don’t want to, right?

Putting a bucket list together is not an easy task…have you tried it? I encourage you to do so.

I didn’t want my list to be too long and it took me a few hours just to come up with this. I imagine one’s bucket list should be fluid . . . changing as you change, adding and deleting as you grow. 

So for today, this is my list:  travel, live abroad for 6-12 months, go/work on a mission trip, learn a new language, learn sign language, play piano, snorkel amazing reefs before they disappear, go to Alaska and see the glaciers, be active in a worthy cause, ride the distance on a horse in full gallop, a month long bike trip, a week long hiking trip, see the northern lights, learn wine appreciation, stay at a villa in Italy with friends, take an active part in a movie production, witness the migration of hummingbirds and monarch butterflies, have a drink with the president and tea with the pope.

But in trying to pick out all the wonderful experiences I would love to accomplish, my focus comes back to loved ones. I want to make sure that I not only tell them, but show them I love them. What good is it if I have accomplished 99 out of 100 tasks on my list but my heart is full of regrets and hurts?

If I die tomorrow, I hope my family and friends know what they mean to me. They are at the top of my bucket list.

Which brings me back to my mantra . . .
Roni

p.s. I forgot one task on my list . . being a best-selling author . . . now that’s something I would LOVE to achieve!


About MONTANA WILD by RONI HALL
Born and bred in NYC, fate leads Jamie to the wilds of Montana where the reluctant city girl comes alive in MONTANA WILD by Roni Hall…

Title: Montana Wild
Author: Roni Hall
Author Location: Royal Oak, MI
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Release Date: January 20, 2016
Publisher: Soul Mate Publishing
Format: Digitial
ISBN: 978-1-68291-020-7

Synopsis:

Spiraling downward after losing two loved ones within one week, Jamie’s world was closing in…until she grabs an unexpected lifeline and escapes. Knowing only New York City, Montana is another world and she is unprepared by how the land, the people and even the animals touch her.
After risking her life to save a child, Jamie shares an undeniable bond and the beginning ripples of deep emotions with her co-rescuer, Kevin. However, her past follows her to Montana and threatens all that she loves there.
Jamie has no choice but to hurt Kevin in order to save his life and returns to New York with her ex, Derrick. Broken, Kevin refuses to believe she doesn’t love him and searches for Jamie, only to find her in Derrick’s lair. Once again Jamie tries to protect Kevin but this time gets caught in the cross fire…

Available at:  Amazon  |  iBooks  | Kobo  | Goodreads

“Montana Wild was a very beautifully written love story! It was funny, touching, emotionally charged and even a little steamy. A great romance for readers that enjoy the emotions rather than erotic…”—Jennifer S., NetGalley Reviewer


“What an enthralling, action packed novel this is - it has everything from dreadful grief, to an adventure holiday, city to countryside, rescue to kidnapping and danger all interwoven with a beautiful…”—Splashes Into Books

An Excerpt from Montana Wild:

Once Kevin changed into dry clothes, he’d warmed up quickly. He looked at Jamie covered in blankets, still unconscious from hypothermia. Body heat. That’s what she needsFirst-aid 101. Kevin pulled off his sweatshirt and climbed underneath the mound of blankets that covered Jamie. Lifting up the back of her shirt, he slid one arm under her as he pulled her close to his bare chest and spooned her. Mindful of her bruised back, he held her still body against his and rubbed the bare skin of her shoulder and arm. Gently he slid one leg over her, trying to cover as much of her body as possible. Her skin, soft as silk, still felt cool to his touch and he kept rubbing it, trying to make friction.

     Holding her so close, he inhaled her scent into his lungs, savoring her essence. Pulling her into him, his lips grazed her ear, then her cheek, making him lose all track of time. Holding her within his arms he wanted to heal her, infuse his strength into her, and shield her from any more harm. Never before had he felt so protective of another being.

     “Come on, baby, wake up. Wake up, please,” he whispered into her ear. “Please.” Closing his eyes, he pulled her closer to him, holding her, never wanting to let go.

     How had it happened that this person on the other end of a phone line two thousand miles away had slowly crept into the important list of people in his mind and in his heart? 

Author Bio: 



The summer after high school graduation, Roni worked two jobs to pay for nursing school. During the midnight shift as a waitress, a charismatic young man at the counter flirted with her for hours as he consumed seven cups of coffee.  Their first date was eventful enough to be a book itself! Thirty-seven years and two kids later, the love story continues. Just like her novels, life can’t be too simple and you must make it an adventurous ride!
Her favorite place to write is in her hammock at their small Michigan cottage where she literally dodges the feeding hummingbirds while being serenaded by the lake’s loons.  Besides writing, she loves Slow Rollin’ in Detroit and the combination of good food, better wine, and dear friends.
You can also visit her online at the following places: Facebook | Website | Twitter


No comments: