Friday, September 05, 2014

Q & A with Amber Page!






1. Tell us about your newest release.

All’s Fair in Lust & War is my debut novel for Harlequin KISS. It’s set against the backdrop of an advertising agency, and tells the story of what happens when two people who have a fling in Vegas find themselves competing for the same promotion! There’s lots of innuendo, plot twists, and spicy scenes…and there may or may not be a surprise baby (I can’t tell you. It’s a surprise!).

 
2.  What makes your story special to you?

Becky lived in my head for four years before I finally got her story down on paper…err, computer screen, so she’s a very real person to me! I made my first attempt to write her story during NaNoWriMo four years ago, but halfway through, I realized I had it wrong.

Long story short, life got busy and I wasn’t able to try again until last fall, when I submitted the first chapter to So You Think You Can Write (a contest Harlequin puts on every year). By then, I knew what I wanted to say chapter and verse, so it got written very quickly.

I can’t tell you how excited I am to see it in print!

3.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I remember writing my first story in third grade. It was written on brown paper and featured a big drawing of “bubble people.” I don’t remember what the plot was, but I do know the teacher singled it out as being the best, and pinned it to the bulletin board.

Right then and there, a writer was born.

4. What is a typical writing day like?

My writing “day” doesn’t actually start until about 10 p.m., after I put my daughter to bed. I get myself a glass of wine, curl up on the couch or at my desk, and write until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore.

However, when I’m up against a deadline, I tend to binge write. That is, I use up all my vacation time at work and write thousands and thousands of words each day.

5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?

I’m not sure if it’s interesting or not, but I’ve found that I can’t start writing until I plot the whole thing out, scene by scene, on a yellow legal pad.

Also, when I really need to concentrate, I put George Winston music on. I remember my dad listening to it when I was a kid, and it’s always been my favorite writing music.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?

That “the call” is only the beginning! There are still final revisions to make, copy edits to go through, cover art forms to fill out…it’s a long road, even after you get the contract.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I have a writing group that I’d be lost without—the Writers with Moxie and Determination (WMDs). They read every chapter for me, sometimes three or four times, and give me solid advice every time!

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They’re thrilled. Absolutely thrilled. Although I have to admit, I’m a bit nervous about letting them read it (there is sex. Spicy sex. So, you know…)

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Working? Housework? Just kidding, although sometimes that seems like all I have time for. In all seriousness though, I spend most of my non-writing time hanging out with my husband and daughter. I read (of course), garden, and enjoy quitting one exercise program after another.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I just finished up the first round of revisions for the follow-up to All’s Fair in Lust & War. This one tells Jessie’s story—Becky’s best friend in the first book. She’s founded a successful digital advertising agency, but just as she gets her big break, she finds herself butting heads with one of New York’s biggest ad agencies, helmed by the city’s sexiest ad man. Deliciously sexy hijinks ensue…

11. How can readers connect with you online?

I love to talk to my readers! Please do look me up!

Amazon Author Page: amazon.com/author/amberpage

More about Amber:




Amber Page has been writing stories since she could write, and still counts the pinning of her "Bubble People" tale to the classroom bulletin board in the third grade as one of her happiest childhood memories.

She's also an avid reader, and has been addicted to romances since she first discovered them in the dusty shelves of her favorite library as a young teen. The nerdy little bookworm she was is still pinching herself to make sure that this whole "getting published by Harlequin" thing is real.

When not penning Happily Ever Afters, Amber works as an advertising writer in the heart of Indiana, where she lives with the love of her life, their daughter, and a menagerie of furry animals. She also blogs, gardens, and sometimes even manages to sneak in a few hours of sleep.

Don't ask her how she does it all. She's too tired to remember.

Find out more about Amber and her books at: http://amberpagebooks.com


2 comments:

Avril Tremayne said...

I'm so excited to read your new book. Love the title!

Amber Page Writes said...

Thanks, Avril!