Monday, July 07, 2014

Q & A with April Marcom!!!!


1. Tell us about your newest release. 
Good vs. Evil High is a teen romance novel that's packed full of suspense and deadly risks that are taken in the name of love: Every winter, it’s North Haven High versus Southland Cinder High in a series of exciting competitions. A.K.A—Good vs. Evil High. And this year it’s serious, because an attacker’s on the loose. Since the assailant’s violence is directed at kids from both schools, no one has a clue who it is and everyone’s pointing a finger at someone else. For the first time, winning the competitions isn’t what everyone’s worrying and talking about. To complicate things further, a North Haven girl and Southland Cinder boy have fallen hopelessly in love, another first for the two schools. This is where the trouble really begins, because her North Haven boyfriend will do anything to keep her for himself. Soon she’s tangled in a mortally dangerous web of love, caught between a man willing to kill for her, and one who will die for the same cause.




2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?
In reflecting on the whole "Good vs. Evil" idea, I've gotten to think about those I've met over my life and which ones would qualify for each of the schools in my story. As a substitute teacher and someone who's lived all over the country, the list of initiates is pretty long for both. And there are probably a nearly equal number of Haven type people I really like as there are the Cinder sort.
I've also realized how much of myself I can see in my Cinder and Haven characters. Growing up, I was raised in a loving and very religious home. But as a teenagers, I struggled with depression and fell in with a ‘Cinderish’ sort of crowd I would eventually grow out of. In the end, I think these experiences proved invaluable in the shaping of this book.

3. Do you have any interesting writing quirks or rituals?
Sure! I try to wake up before my kids, so I have some peace and quiet to think straight when I write. But most of my writing is done in complete chaos. A minute stolen away to create a bit of a story here, another minute there. My son also has this camo kid-sized recliner I LOVE sitting in with my laptop to write. It's way too small for me, but it's my favorite place to be when I'm working on a book.
4. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
Actually, writing's just something I've always loved. I wrote stories for fun as a kid, gave it up as a teenager, and really began taking it seriously a couple of years after having my 2nd child. I did grow up knowing my uncle, Michael Ballard, was a civil war author and always thought that was really cool, though.
5. What does your family think about your career as a published author?
They think it's great! My kids are a little too young to be interested in my books, yet, but my sister Melody is crazy about them. My parents and grandparents read over them and give me feedback before I send any material to publishers. I always take it seriously, since they pick up on the same things readers would that I might not be able to see. It's kind of like my own little critique group. And my mom does some pretty serious editing for me. She's taught me a great deal of what I know and I don't know how I would survive as an author without her.
6. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?
I've always enjoyed everything about the outdoors: hiking, fishing, camping. I also love shopping, traveling, and watching a good movie with my husband and our 3 kids!
7. Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?
Absolutely! I just finished my first sci-fi romance: Sarafina’s just another ordinary, reserved teenager about to graduate high school, but all that changes when a man from another world enters her life and it’s love at first sight. For the first time, she’s taking risks to chase a fantastic adventure and incredible romance, traveling halfway around the world to live with a dangerous alien family, because that’s where the unworldly and forbidden man resides. In her journey to find an unimaginable love and transition from girl to woman, she discovers her own strength as she sheds the skin of youth to reveal a mighty inner beast she never even knew existed.

8. How can readers connect with you online?

No comments: