Friday, June 27, 2014

Q &A with Molly Harper!



1.  Tell us about your newest release.

BETTER HOMES AND HAUNTINGS is my first standalone paranormal romance and my first haunted house story, so it’s a book I’ve wanted to do for a while. I wanted to write the biggest, scariest ghost story I could manage and I hope the reader enjoys it. The Crane’s Nest is a Gilded Era mansion that never quite made it as a family home as Gerald Whitney, the business tycoon who built it was accused of murdering his wife shortly after it was completed. The murder mystery and inevitable stories of hauntings and family curses followed the Whitneys throughout the generations. Deacon Whitney, a social media mogul who has managed to rebuild his fortune, wants to restore the house to its former glory and finally put the supernatural rumors about his family to an end.

Landscaper Nina Linden is hired to rehabilitate the gardens and she sees it as her chance to rebuild her failing business after being cheated by her unscrupulous ex-partner. She never expects that her new client would see more in her than just a green thumb. But Nina shows no signs of being scared away, even as she experiences some unnerving apparitions herself. And as the two of them work closely together to restore the mansion’s faded glory, Deacon realizes that he’s found someone who doesn’t seem to like his fortune more than himself—while Nina may have finally found the one man she can trust with her bruised and battered heart.
 
2.  What makes your story special to you?

I watched a LOT of Scooby Doo as a kid. And I was always disappointed that just this once, they couldn’t find a real ghost haunting an abandoned toy factory. So this is my love letter to Scooby and Shaggy. (and poor underappreciated Velma.)

3.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Storytelling was just always something I did.  When we were really little, I would keep my sister entertained before we went to sleep by telling her fairy tales with us as the main characters.  And I typed my first short story on my mom’s typewriter when I was eight. But I didn’t think writing could be a “real job” because there just weren’t a lot of published authors from my hometown. 

During my freshman year of high school, my English teacher, Mr. Werner, compared my voice to Erma Bombeck’s and really encouraged me to consider writing as a profession. I become more interested in feature writing and columns and got a degree in print journalism from Western Kentucky University. I worked as a newspaper reporter for six years and all the while, WANTED to write books. It took leaving the paper in 2006 and living without a writing outlet before I sat down and wrote a proper book. And I haven’t stopped since.

4. What is a typical writing day like?

Get up, get the kids ready for school and on the bus, go to the gym, hole up in my brand new office, and write from ten to noon. I stop for lunch and go back to the writing cave until the kids get off of the school bus.

5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?

I have to have lip balm nearby, preferably Eos. Because if I don’t, I get distracted by the thought of my lips possibly becoming chapped.  I really hate chapped lips.


6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?

That I’m allowed to talk to some of my favorite authors! It was so strange the first few times I met people whose work I’d read for years -Teresa Medeiros, Cherry Adair, JR Ward – and I thought, “Wait, shouldn’t there be some sort of velvet rope or glass wall dividing me from these people?” But they’re writers, just like me. And they’re super-nice people, much like most of the people you’ll meet in this profession.  I’ve found the romance community to be very inclusive and supportive.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

Actually, my brother in law, Ryan Clark, had a lot to do with it. I’ve known Ryan since we worked together at our college newspaper, which is how he met my sister, Manda. He writes popular non-fiction books about the University of Kentucky’s basketball program. He wrote his first book and I watched him going through the publication process. And I was already thinking about writing a book. I thought, “Well, it’s now or never, and if Ryan can do it, I should at least try.” So now we promote each others’ books whenever possible and attend some of the same Kentucky-based author events, which is a lot of fun.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

I really couldn’t have asked for more supportive parents.  If you sit still long enough, they will pitch you my books. My dad gets all of his old frat buddies to buy my books for their wives. My mom, Judy, goes to the conferences with me and acts as my assistant. She makes sure I get places on time (without my skirt tucked into my panty hose). And she just sort of adopts authors along the way, taking care of them and making sure they’re hydrated and their clothes are ironed. It’s very much like when she was a marching band mom when I was in high school. I’m pretty sure she’s going to have her own twitter hashtag at next year’s RT conference. #mamaharperRT15

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I started taking martial arts classes a year ago. I started with Brazilian jiu jitsu and I just got my yellow belt in karate. So I now have the fighting skills of a second grader, which is nice. I doubt sincerely I could go out and win a cagematch, but I am much more aware of my surroundings. I don’t freeze up when someone gets in my space bubble. And I’m less afraid of little things, like public speaking.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I will be writing several more spin-offs to the Half-Moon Hollow books. I could tell you what they’re about, but I would have to send Ophelia after you. Also, my Half-Moon Hollow Christmas short story, I’M DREAMING OF AN UNDEAD CHRISTMAS, will be available in ebook on November 3, 2014.

And third book in the Bluegrass contemporary series, SNOW FALLING ON BLUEGRASS, will be released on September 22.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

www.mollyharper.com

Buy from:



                                  About Molly:



Molly Harper is the author of How to Run with a Naked Werewolf, A Witch’s Handbook of Kisses and Curses, and The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires as well as many other paranormal romances. She also writes the Bluegrass series of contemporary ebook romances, most recently Rhythm and Bluegrass. A former humor columnist and newspaper reporter, she lives in Kentucky with her husband and children.
 




Molly Harper is the author of How to Run with a Naked Werewolf, A Witch’s Handbook of Kisses and Curses, and The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires as well as many other paranormal romances. She also writes the Bluegrass series of contemporary ebook romances, most recently Rhythm and Bluegrass. A former humor columnist and newspaper reporter, she lives in Kentucky with her husband and children. Visit her on the web at MollyHarper.com or at SingleUndeadFemale.blogspot.com. - See more at: http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Molly-Harper/47365388#sthash.GQjG30ND.dpuf
Molly Harper is the author of How to Run with a Naked Werewolf, A Witch’s Handbook of Kisses and Curses, and The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires as well as many other paranormal romances. She also writes the Bluegrass series of contemporary ebook romances, most recently Rhythm and Bluegrass. A former humor columnist and newspaper reporter, she lives in Kentucky with her husband and children. Visit her on the web at MollyHarper.com or at SingleUndeadFemale.blogspot.com. - See more at: http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Molly-Harper/47365388#sthash.GQjG30ND.dpuf
Molly Harper is the author of How to Run with a Naked Werewolf, A Witch’s Handbook of Kisses and Curses, and The Care and Feeding of Stray Vampires as well as many other paranormal romances. She also writes the Bluegrass series of contemporary ebook romances, most recently Rhythm and Bluegrass. A former humor columnist and newspaper reporter, she lives in Kentucky with her husband and children. Visit her on the web at MollyHarper.com or at SingleUndeadFemale.blogspot.com. - See more at: http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Molly-Harper/47365388#sthash.GQjG30ND.dpuf

No comments: