Thursday, June 26, 2014

Q & A with Kelly Ryan!!!



1. Tell us about your newest release.

My latest short, Taking Pleasure Where You Can, is a WW2 piece about how two people can take comfort in each other even in the worst of circumstances. I will admit this is loosely based on some things my grandfather told me about his WW2 experience, including having an island girlfriend. Though of course the sexy parts have nothing to do with my grandpa! That'd be weird!


2.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

I think that the more I thought about it and researched some WW2 facts, the perseverance that people can show during hard times is mind boggling. Human beings are remarkable in their ability to overcome tragedy and move on.

3.  Do you have any interesting or quirks or rituals?

Some people find it interesting that I never write at a desk. Kitchen table, picnic tables, in the back office at work, in bed – all fair game. But at an actual desk? No. I am also what is known as a pantser, meaning that I don't really plot my stories. I prefer to see where the characters want to take me. Keeps it interesting! Sometimes in a good and bad way at the same time!

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

J.R.R. Tolkien, Anne Rice and Stephen King were all big influences on me growing up. So were all of my grandmother's Harlequin romance novels. I have had some pretty supportive friends who encouraged me to submit my writing and try to get published. And once I found Breathless Press I have to say that they are some of the most supportive people around. Especially my editor, Leona Bushman who is a fine author as well.

5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?

I think that my family is pretty proud of me. I know that my fiancé is my biggest supporter. My brother thinks I will make it big someday. My late grandmother is the one who encouraged me to write romance. All in all I think I am pretty lucky in the support and encouragement that my family gives me.

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I am a great lover of art and music. I dabble in both, painting and sometimes pretending to play the bass. I also make jewelry as well. I love going out to see live show, especially metal as I am an old school metal head. Reading, hanging out with friends and my fiancé, playing board games and playing with my dogs are all ways that I love to spend my time.

7.  Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

I have a full length elf fantasy novel about to enter the editing phase. It should be out later this year. I am actively submitting new stories, ranging from vampires to goddess villain stories. I am always busy writing so I hope you will hear a lot more from me in the future.

8.  How can readers connect with you online?

You can keep up with all things Kelly Ryan/Sheri Velarde on my website: http://sherivelarde.weebly.com/ or on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sheri-VelardeKelly-Ryan/632892500084202?ref=bookmarks. I am also on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/Sher_V.


Blurb:


John never thought that he would be the same after Pearl Harbor, then he set eyes on Imee and everything changed.

Ever since Pearl Harbor, John had become a shell of a man, unable to move on from the trauma. When his captain forces him to take shore leave, a night out with the guys and one woman were about to change everything.



Excerpt:


Joe seemed to know everyone, and everyone seemed keen to be near him. It made it much easier for the quiet-by-nature and still healing John to slowly make some friends. Once the drinks started flowing, he even began to loosen up a bit. He missed hanging out with guys, telling stories, joking around, and laughing. His captain had been right; this was what he needed and what his friends who had passed on would want. He was beginning to feel alive again, and it felt good. Then he caught sight of her.



Bio:
 

Kelly Ryan, aka as Sheri Velarde, lives in New Mexico and grew up with a fascination for all things that "go bump in the night," so it is no wonder that she turned to writing paranormal romance. In her spare time, she fancies herself a cyrptozoologist and loves to go on paranormal related outings, searching for things that might not really exist. She is an avid exerciser and gets some of her best ideas while on runs. She also has a bit of a wild side, which only leads to inspiration for her writing.
Being an avid reader since an early age, she has wanted to be a writer for as long as she can remember. She has been writing all her life, but only recently started to actually try to pursue her dream of writing for a living. She has published with Breathless Press before, but Salvation is her first zombie story ever.
Kelly/Sheri is a multi-published author. You can keep up to date with all things Kelly Ryan/Sheri Velarde at: www.sherivelarde.weebly.com.


1 comment:

Sheri Velarde said...

Thank you so much for interviewing me today! Cheers!