Thursday, June 12, 2014

Q & A with Faberge Nostromo!!!

1.  Tell us about your newest release.
 
Really, really excited about this. Is it ok to admit that, big hairy bloke though I am, I actually felt a little tearful as I typed the last paragraphs?
The Song In the Silver is William's story. It started life as a short story for an anthology where all the stories were to centre on a farm in Scotland. However it kind of ran away from the farm and became a paranormal romance all on its own.
It has influences from Highlander, Buffy and even nods a little to Dr Who but I like to think it stands on its own two feet as a genuine love story. It was William's situation that kicked it off, the image of him I had. The first paragraph wrote itself, I realised who and what William was and just took it from there.
It's quite a short story, but I think there's an awful lot of space for more about William to emerge in later books.

2.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

 
That I could actually write something that surprised and moved me. I felt for William, I was genuinely upset at Mary's loss and I was sad for Meaghan; but also happy for her, in the end; and I hope you will be too.

3.  Do you have any interesting or quirks or rituals?

 
No.
Oh, alright I do. I'm your multi-purpose OCD nightmare. I line up the tins in the cupboard, labels forward, I straighten pictures and hang all my shirts facing the same way. I reload the dishwasher to how it should have been loaded; my CDs are in alphabetical order of artist name except classical which is in composer order. My guitars all face the same way, on stands, with straps on and a plectrum in the top three strings at the second fret. Honestly, in a sane world I'd be locked up.

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

 
A certain lady sat by the swimming pool with a glass of wine and a MacBook started me off. I asked her what she was doing and she said "I write erotic romance". A few (ok, more than a few) glasses of wine later and we're talking fonts and formatting and submission guidelines…  and a year later, almost to the day, my first book cover was sitting on the Breathless Press Facebook page next to one of Raven McAllan's. It's all her fault…

5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?

 
Most of them don't actually know about it. There's this thing about men writing erotic romance and a straight, married man isn't meant to, it seems. So it's just you and me who know about it.

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

 
I sing (sort of) and play guitar, bass and ukulele and, at the drop of a hat, will get up and do a song. Or two. Maybe three. in fact, there's a song I've just written which I can do for you right now... no? Oh, ok.

7.  Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

 
I'm deep into my next full length novel, a sci-fi romance where the captain and first mate of a starship on a dangerous peace mission have their emotions and sexuality challenged by the mysterious alien empaths tasked with bringing about peace on a planet ravaged by a gender war.

8.  How can readers connect with you online?

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/ApogeeSymphonia
Google Plus - http://plus.google.com/+FabergeNostromo
Twitter - http://twitter.com/FabergeNostromo
Blog - http://fabergenostromo.blogspot.co.uk
Pinterest - http://www.pinterest.com/fabergenostromo/

The Song In The Silver is available here - http://www.breathlesspress.com/index.php?main_page=product_free_shipping_info&cPath=9&products_id=580



Blurb:

A vampire's bite.
A werewolf's love.
Burned by silver and called by its song, he walks the night forever, protecting those he loves.

His mortal life stolen by a vampire, his undead life saved by a werewolf, William walks now in darkness. Scarred by her silver on the night he was turned, he secretly protected Mary until the day she died.
And now the fading song of their daughter's life has called him back to the glen.
Will tonight be the night he can reveal to her the eternal love that has kept her safe, and that will now protect her son?

Excerpt:

He sat on the side of the hill, beneath the wind-stunted oak, and looked down on the thin stream of smoke drifting from the croft into the star-littered sky. A faint wisp of the Northern Lights swept like a wraith across the inky black. The wind flicked his raven-black hair from his face and stung his eyes.
She was in there. The time was coming. The conflict in his heart hoped that it might not be tonight, but that if it was, it would be before the dawn broke over the hills opposite.
The howl of a wolf echoed across the valley. He recognized Aatu's cry. She had been here always, before him. She'd been here all the time he'd been far away, far from the pain. She would still be here after he left.
A bird splashed in the dark reeds along the side of the beck at the cry, protecting her young from the night, just as he'd protected the woman in the croft when he could. And when his presence had threatened her, he'd left to take the threat far away.
He wrapped his cloak tight around him, though he didn't need it against the cold. He felt neither cold nor warmth—only loss.
He touched the deerskin pouch that hung from the leather thong around his neck. The soft vibrations of the uisge, the life force, from the silver cross inside were fainter now. One pattern of vibrations, one of the harmonies within the song, was fading. The pattern had lived with him for nearly a century. It was what had brought him back, the realization that one part of the song was coming to an end.
The journey had been long and hard. The dark highways of his existence had made it so, but he had come. And he would leave again. After he had had one last moment with her, to tell her. So that she would, at the end, know. Just as he had with her mother.


Bio:


Faberge Nostromo's career has been one in the true sense of the phrase "move swiftly and in an uncontrolled way."After being expelled from school, he finally arrived, through blind luck and belligerence, at a stage in life where he can genuinely claim to be a writer and musician. Whatever you do, do not encourage him.


1 comment:

Raven McAllan said...

This is one occassion where I'm glad it is (allegedly) all my fault.
However all I did, was say go for it. Faberge did the rest.
And I'm glad he did.