Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Q & A with Vanessa M. Knight!





1. Tell us about your newest release.

 
Second Time's the Charm is a romance novel with a sprinkling of suspense.  It follows Allison Southby as her life turns upside down after the unexplained death of her boss and mentor.  If losing him wasn't bad enough, her mentor's youngest, the prodigal son has usurped the promotion she was promised. His other son, Adam Byrnes habitually rips out her heart and bats at it like a cat with catnip. Her best bet is to avoid the two men.


Unfortunately, the will is very clear. Adam and his brother acquired control of their father's company. Barring any fundamental career change, (McDonald's is always hiring!), avoidance isn't an option.
She just needs to get through the next few days.  Hopefully, the men will get bored and go back to their lives, leaving her to run the company - leaving her alone.  Just a few days, she can handle a few days…
Unfortunately, nothing ever goes as planned.  Will Adam and Allison solve the mystery surrounding his father's death?  Will they go their separate ways, or is the second time the charm? 

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

 
There are so many scenes I like, but if I had to choose one, I love the hockey game scene.  It has it all - cute kid, hockey and alcohol.  And you can't forget the sexual tension.  It's just fun from puck drop to finish.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

 
This one is hard.  I've always written in some form or fashion.  When I was in high school, I started writing short stories.  They weren't great, but they were my beginning.  It wasn't until I was married with child, that I started to really get into writing.   I joined Romance Writers of America and took classes on writing.  And Bam here I am.

4. What is a typical writing day like?

 
A typical day?  I don't really have a typical day.  I work full-time and spend my nights and weekends writing.  It's my release.  It's how I relax.  I love living through my characters highs and lows.  I love seeing where the characters take me.


5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?

 
I don't know if this is a quirk, but I tend to over plan every aspect of the book.  I have graphs and timelines and pictures and maps of everything from their home to their wardrobe.  Some call it overkill, I call it fun.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?

 
I think the biggest surprise was how much work followed the "call".  I thought I would get the "you're being published call" and all would be right with the world.  I'd sit back and bask in the publishing glow.  But there were edits and more edits, blog tours to set up, blogs to write, author goodies to produce.  And did I mention edits?  So many rounds of edits.  It's been exciting and new.  It's been crazy.  And I love every single minute of it.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

 
My love of reading came from a young age.  I loved Judy Blume as a kid, and then I moved to teen romances, Sweet Dreams and Cheerleaders.  When I got older I loved Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Julie James and Kristan Higgins.  I found the more I read the more ideas passed through my head.  A few years ago I started writing them down and have been turning them into novels ever since.  

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

 
Wonderful.  Awesome.  My family has been fantastic.  They've supported me through insane deadlines and inconvenient bouts of writing inspiration.  They're so proud.  It's adorable since I couldn't have done anything without them.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

 
I love reading when I have a few minutes to spare.  I also love scrapbooking with friends.  There's nothing better than a weekend away with the girls, going over memories and drinking.  Well, maybe a night in watching movies and hanging with my husband and son.

10. Can you tell us about what's coming up next for you writing wise?

 
I'm working on the next book in this series, including Allison's sister Brook and the sexy Chicago detective, Joe Perretti. 

11. How can readers connect with you online?

 
I love hearing from readers.  I can be reached through either one of the options below.
Website: www.vanessamknight.com
Facebook:   www.facebook.com/vanessamknightauthor
Twitter: @VanessaMKnight


 Buy Links:

 Learn more by visiting her website:

6 comments:

Bonnie Gill said...

Hi Vanessa,
I enjoyed the interview. I think it's great you have so much support from your family and friends.
I look forward to reading your book.

Vanessa M. Knight said...

Thank you so much! I have been very blessed with supportive family and friends.

Marie Laval said...

Lovely interview Vanessa. It's always fascinating to read about other writers' 'habits'. I wish I was a little more like you and planned more! Good luck with the book.

Kristen Young said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vanessa M. Knight said...

Marie - Thank you! I'm a crazy planner. I love lists. They make me smile. : } Thank you for the support!

Deb Larson said...

Great interview Vanessa! Best of luck with your new book. I was great sitting next to you at the book signing at Spring Fling!
DL Larson