Monday, April 07, 2014

Q&A with Faye Hall!



1. Tell us about your newest release.  
 
'She's a Lot Like You' will be release April 2014. Set in Ravenswood, Queensland 1860, the story spans 10 years, and illustrates the constant struggles two people have to endure to be together. They have to overcome scandal, lies, and a tie between their families neither are aware of until it is too late.
2. What makes your story special to you?  
 
I really never thought this story would ever be published to be honest. It's been sitting on my computer for nearly ten years, and had been unsuccessfully submitted a few times over the years to various publishers. It wasn't until a couple of years ago when my husband encouraged me to resubmit the script again that I sat myself down and rewrote it and re submitted it. When Monica Peters sent me a response in two days to say she definitely wanted it I literally jumped for joy and shed some tears.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer? 
 
 There was never really a single point where I decided writing was what I wanted to do. I've always loved writing stories right from when I was a child, and it's always been something I haven't had to struggle to do. I wrote my first romance whilst I was still in high school, during English classes actually. I love writing romances because I can create characters, give them unspeakable struggles to go through, manipulate there lives and I always know they will have a happy ending.

4. What is a typical writing day like? 
 
I have a big family, so rarely do I get the time to devote a whole day to writing. I usually get my children in bed and spend a few hours every night writing. I also keep my phone handy when I do the school runs because I've written many ideas down waiting in the afternoons.


5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit? 
 
 I have a think for cup-a-soups. I don't understand it personally but I usually make myself some then write a few pages with hardly any struggle. I also rub my thumb and forefinger on my right hand together when I'm trying to think of a turning pinnacle in a story.


6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?  
 
I guess the thing I was most surprised at is just how helpful people in the publishing industry can be. From the cover artist, Tara, to my editor Rosie Murphy to the publisher Alexandra Kendall and to Monica Peters who does all our promoting - they are all just so wonderful and great to communicate with.
 
7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?  
 
The support and love of my husband and my family has always been my greatest influence with pursuing my writing career. I really don't think I would be here today if it were not for all of them.
 
8. What does your family think about your career as a published author? 
 
My family is extremely supportive and proud of my achievements. I grew up in a small rural town in North Queensland, Australia where opportunities for romance writers are quite limited. So to now be an internationally published author...well, it's amazing!
 
9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have? 
 
I love history! Love watching period drama's and historically based documentaries, and enjoy watching as many as I can with my husband. Which is also why my novels are all set in the past.
 
10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?
 
Red Sage Publishing has just contracted a third script from me called "Mistress of Purity". So should be starting edits on that soon. In the meantime I'm working on another script which I hope to have to Red Sage in the next month for consideration.
 
11. How can readers connect with you online? 
 

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Nice to meet you Faye. I love reading historical romances and love a unique theme, setting as well as my favorites! So will check this one out. Congrats on your third book to come as well!

Faye Hall said...

Thank You Caffey! So lovely to meet you too. Thank you for the congrats too :-) Do hope you enjoy my books