Sunday, April 13, 2014

Q&A with Dawn Brower!



1.  Tell us about your newest release.

My newest release is also my first release ever. It is a book about a pirate who falls in love with a woman he kidnapped to get revenge on her grandpere. I like to think their story is adventurous and sexy.

2.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

I learned a lot about writing period while writing this story. I thought I knew what I had going, but I didn't know much of anything at all. My first draft I wanted from first/third pov's all over the place. I had a lot of revising to do and also a decision to make. What kind of book would work for me and which type of POV did I want to write in. I ultimately chose third person because it made the most sense.

3.  Do you have any interesting or quirks or rituals?

No. The only thing I am consistent on is rereading something the next day after I wrote it. It's my way of reminding myself where I am at in the story and correcting any blatant errors as I go. I also sometimes add to the chapter or delete if necessary.

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My step sister is the reason I started writing. I always wanted to, but never believed I had the patience for it. I love reading and have a lot of favorite authors. If I can even be half as good as some of them I'll be happy. Some of my favorite authors are Karen Marie Moning and Kresley Cole.

5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My kids are amused by it. I think that anyone else is proud. I don't know I don't talk to them about it. It's always been me and my children.

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love to read. I am still in school. I hope to be able to teach college classes in literature and sociology once I'm finished. I stay home most of the time these days. I don't have time to do much else.
7.  Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?
I have a book in limbo while I make up my mind what I want to do with it. I finished writing a second book in the world of my book A Flawed Jewel and it is with betas. The working title is A Treasured Lily. I will submit it to my editor soon, I think. I started writing a third book in that world.

8.  How can readers connect with you online?


Blurb:


Pieretta boards a ship, unaware that Thor is waiting to kidnap her for revenge against her grandfather. Will love intervene, altering both their courses?

Pieretta Carlyle experienced the loss of her father, leaving her alone in the world except for her grandpere, Comte Renard Dubois. The comte insists that she travel to France to live with him. Pieretta doesn't want to leave Charleston and the only home she has ever known. Her grandpere is her guardian, and she must do what he says.
Thor has a score to settle, and Pieretta is the key to his revenge. He became a pirate unwillingly after his business partner tried to murder him. He must acquire Pieretta by any means necessary, and he doesn't mind plundering a ship to obtain her.
When Pieretta and Thor meet, they are instantly attracted to each other against their better judgments. Pieretta is disgusted by the pirate's actions. Thor knows what Pieretta believes, but proceeds with his plans anyway. She is only a tool to achieve vengeance. What happens will depend on Thor's need for revenge and Pieretta's ability to forgive him for his dastardly deeds.
 


About Dawn Brower:


Dawn Brower holds a Bachelor of Arts in psychology, a Master of Arts in Education, and is currently working on a Master of Arts in Liberal Arts with concentrations in Literature, History, and Sociology. She works as a substitute teacher and enjoys the flexibility it gives her to concentrate on her other endeavors.
Growing up, she was the only girl out of six children. She is a single mother of two teenage boys; there is never a dull moment in her life. Reading books is her favorite hobby. There is nothing like a nice glass of wine and a good book to relax with at the end of the day.
There are always stories inside her head; she just never thought she could make them come to life. That creativity has finally found an outlet. If you want to contact Dawn you can visit her webpage at www.authordawnbrower.com, her facebook page at www.facebook.com/DawnMarieBrower, on her blog http://dawnbrower.wordpress.com or her twitter page at www.twitter.com/dawnab33.



Excerpt from  A FLAWED JEWEL:


"I assure you, Captain Pirate, I have not been anxiously awaiting anything. What I have been is bored out of my mind. If you were trying to kill me with ennui, then by all means stay the course. If not, well I will surely expire before long. Maybe that is your intention? It's less messy, and it's a great means of torture. It is a miracle I haven't already gone insane from sheer boredom over the past several hours."
The man dared to laugh at her. It was like he couldn't help himself, and it just burst out of him every time she tried to speak to him. It was the kind of laugh that made you weary and excited at the same time. When she first heard it, it made her shiver from the inside out. She was starting to realize it might always have that affect on her. It tickled down her spine and made her tremble. His laugh was dangerous. Oh Lord. A devilish smirk curved his lips. She was a goner for sure. Damn man, why must you have such an appealing face. She was so lost in her own thoughts she almost didn't hear him when he finally spoke.
"Thor," he replied.
"Excuse me?"
"I am Captain Thor, not Captain Pirate."
It was Pia's turn to laugh. Only moments ago, she had pondered her favorite book on Norse mythology, and here the blasted pirate was named after her favorite hammer wielding god.
"I suppose you carry a hammer only you can lift right?"
"Oh, I don't have a hammer per se..."
She sucked in a breath as he delivered the innuendo. Pia choked, finding it difficult to express the words flowing through her mind. Surely he didn't mean what his words implied...


2 comments:

Torie James said...

This book is def on my TBR list! Thank you for sharing and thanks to RRT for hosting!

Dawn said...

Thanks for hosting me :)