Monday, February 10, 2014

Q & A with K.E. Shade!


 
1.  Tell us about your newest release.
 
My newest release is titled Muir Bhreatan, Irish Gaelic for St. Georges Channel. It's about two brothers who learn what's valuable in life--keeping the one person they love safe from harm above all else. Aedan, in particular, will do anything to get back to his love Kaitlin.  His brother learns the power of true love along the way. I used the history of piracy in the latter seventeen century as my backdrop. It's a good time, with the political climate, to have a pair of pirating brothers trying to make the lives of their countrymen better. That one spark that drives a person to do whatever is necessary to get back to the person that ignites the flame within. That's what I was going for with this story. Well, that and pirates. I love the legend of pirates.
 
2.  What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?
 
The construction of ships in the seventeenth century. The ship's wheel, for example, didn't really come about until the early eighteen century. They used something called a whipstaff that turned the rudder instead. I find history as a whole fascinating so diving into the detail came naturally,
 
3.  Do you have any interesting or quirks or rituals?  
 
When it comes to the desktop of my laptop, I have to have the shortcuts I used the most--in order of what kind of program they are--to the right. All others are to the left. Floating icons in the middle freak me out. At my nine to five job, the IT department made it so all the icons were to the left. I literally whined to them about it it bugged me so bad.
 
 
4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer? 
 
Friends, mainly. I don't know what I'd do without my original three amigos pushing me to be better. Joe, Al, and Theresa. They were the first. After that, I settled in with a wild bunch of women called The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pens. They corrupted me. Tee-hee.
 
 
5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?
 
 My parents support me to the fullest, my sisters as well. They know what I write and my mother has even read a few of my naughtier tales. My father, erm, feels uncomfortable reading anything of that nature from me--not that he hasn't read that genre before--but I did make a few pirate tales sans the sex scenes just for him. One of the downfalls to being daddy's little girl. :)
 
 
6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have? 
 
I'm an artist and I also play the flute in my church. I've been fortunate to have my artwork on a friend of mine's book. She requested it after seeing my DeviantArt page. I had fun making it.
 
7.  Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?
 
 I have several projects going right now, as I have the attention span of a gnat sometimes. A few naughty spins on fairytales, a fantasy series in the works, and I know I'll dabble in historicals again. I'm a sucker for research.
 
8.  How can readers connect with you online?
 
 
####


Blurb:

Aedan ó Loinsigh's only love beyond the sea is his Kaitlin. Captured, he uses his knowledge of the seas to get back to his love.
 Liberators of gold from the British on the high seas, Aedan ó Loinsigh and his brother have never shied away from a challenge on the open waters. Aedan’s only tie to solid ground is the lovely Kaitlin who possesses him like no other. When the brothers are captured and awaiting execution, a mysterious man offers to free them if they pay off their debt aboard his ship. The brothers waste no time in agreeing to the proposal only to find their new lives are not much better than those of slaves. Desperate to reach Kaitlin again, Aedan must figure out a way to save not only the other indentured servants aboard the ship but get back to his true love. Salvation could come at a price. One that Aedan will have to live with for the rest of his life.
 Excerpt:
Aedan chanced getting closer to her and she closed the rest of the distance. The clear waters spared him no mercy at the sight of her swimming without one scrap of clothing. "Oh, lass. You tempt me."
"Always." She draped her arms around his neck. "Promise me ye will come back to me."
"I will."
"Promise."
"With all my heart, Kaitlin, I promise I will be in ye arms again."
She smiled and kissed him boldly, her tongue breaking the barrier. Aedan kicked his legs to breach shallow water, his trousers growing tighter. The sand curled around his toes and he pressed her closer. Her hands wormed their way up his chest and she pushed him away.
"I have to go." She toyed with her bottom lip. Aedan smirked and reached for her, but she batted his hands away.
"Nay." He crooked a finger at her.
"But the men are waiting for me." As she backed away, inch by inch of her bare skin emerged from the lapping water. "I've volunteered to lead them back home."
Aedan waded toward her, but she stayed a hairsbreadth from his reach. His heart pounded in his chest as she halted with the water kissing her waist.
"The men can wait." Aedan brushed his fingers along her damp tresses.
"Can they?" She kissed his neck slow. Her fingers traced the outline of the scar a bullet had left behind over a year ago. "Must everyone wait but Aedan Ó Loinsigh?"
Salty air and the gentle touch of his love almost made her words drown in the warm feel of her kisses on his skin. Too many days at sea burned his lust, and his body yearned to join with Kaitlin. He raised her chin, eager for taste of her lips. She pressed her hand over his mouth.
"I will wait for ye. I will, always and forever. I love ye." Her hand moved away.
 
Author Bio:

K. E. Shade is multi-published author Kastil Eavenshade in disguise pandering her romantic shenanigans. When not catering to the whims of three rescued kitties, she's dreaming up her next heart-beating tale. No period in history—past, present, or future—is safe from the clutches of her muse. Her passions beyond writing are drawing, cooking, and watching Pittsburgh Penguins hockey. She credits her parents for her free spirit as they've always supported her in every aspect of her life. Without them, she wouldn't be here.




 

No comments: