Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Q & A with Catherine Green!



1. Tell us about your newest release

My new novel is The Darkness of Love. It tells the story of a character from my Redcliffe novels, Marcus Scott, and his human origins before he became a vampire. Set on a lavish country estate in Victorian England, the story is a decadent, romantic treat for those who enjoy historic tales.

2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

Hmm, probably the depth of a character that was only ever going to be a minor supporting role in Redcliffe (my fictional Cornish town full of supernatural creatures). Marcus Scott was introduced in my debut novel Love Hurts (A Redcliffe Novel) and since then he has gone from strength to strength, to the point where he demanded that I write his own story, The Darkness of Love.

3. Do you have any interesting writing quirks or rituals?

Actually a friend recently gifted me a beautiful clear Quartz crystal pendant for my writing achievements, and it has now become my talisman for future work. I am wearing it throughout November while I tackle NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Other than that I always have a cup of coffee to hand, and a stash of chocolate to fuel my writing.

4. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

An early influence was the author L.J. Smith. I read her Nightworld series of books when I was a teenager, and at the time I was amazed to discover that people actually wanted to read about the kind of characters that were hiding in my mind. I then discovered Anne Rice and Laurell K Hamilton who further supported my ambitions, but it was my younger sister, Emily, who finally forced me to write my first novel.

5. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They are all very proud, especially my grandparents. I think my dad is a little unsure about my chosen genre, but he is happy for me to get on with it! And my mum dutifully reads each book as soon as she receives it, even though she is not so much in love with the supernaturals as I am.

6. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

At the moment I am learning the joys of motherhood, as I have two young daughters. The eldest is almost 3 and the youngest is just 3 months old. Aside from that I am a ghost hunter and a shaman in training. I also enjoy visiting museums and learning about social history.

7. Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

My next project is book 4 in the Redcliffe series. I have started writing the novel but it is currently untitled and will take a while to form a solid story. I changed the ending to book 3, Love Redeems (A Redcliffe Novel) and now I am a little bit lost as to where my heroine Jessica Stone is heading next… I also have a couple of other vampire novels in progress that I will work on during 2014, but those are not quite so urgent while I work round my children.

8. How can readers connect with you online?

Lots of places!

I am also on Google+ https://plus.google.com/+CatherineGreen

1 comment:

Catherine Green said...

Thank you for the guest spot, much appreciated!