Monday, September 16, 2013

Q & A with Katy Lee!



1.            Tell us about your newest release.


Warning Signs, my October release flew from my fingers when I received word that I was invited to pitch a story to the Harlequin Love Inspired editors last spring, 2012.  I knew exactly the story I wanted to share.  I used to work with children with hearing impairments.  I learned to allow them to show me what they could do before I made the assumption of what they couldn’t.  Warning Signs is a way for me to pass this valuable lesson on.
In my romantic-suspense story, my heroine, Miriam Hunter, is deaf. Owen, my hero is not but the unique connection they have is that his son is.  Owen has some misconceptions of people with hearing impairments, but can Miriam change his way of thinking before she goes to jail? Or worse, killed?

2.            What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

I feared I wouldn’t be able to get the American Sign Language to feel real on the page.  It took work and a constant effort to read each word/sign carefully to make sure I did the language justice.


3.            How long have you been writing?

I’ve always been a reader. I tried my hand at writing a few times, starting in fifth grade, but never believed it was possible until my brother said to me one day, “Why not? Authors are everyday people just like you. Believe it and do it.” That was in 2009.


4.            What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

Catherine Anderson and her website Bulletin Board friends. After 18 years (Before Facebook) they are still great friends to me.  But we used to do story posts, where each one of us would put in part of the story until we had a complete tale.  We’d get to the end, and they would say, “Take it away, Katy.”  One friend said to me one day, “Katy, you need to sit yourself down and get yourself published.”  That meant so much to me.  Between them and my brother, little seeds were planted until I finally agreed and did it.

5.            What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My mom and dad and are so proud. They read my books, and that makes me so happy.  My husband does not read my books, but that’s okay. He helps me in other ways like marketing. He’s the analytical side of the marriage, and that is fine with me.


6.            Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I homeschool my children. I love to knit. Right now I am making knitted lobsters to go with my books that are located on a fishing island in Maine.


7.            Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

Yes! Grave Danger will release in May 2014.  It is the sequel to Warning Signs and my heroine is a Forensic Anthropologist.  A skeleton has been unearthed on Stepping Stones Island, and the sheriff may have some explaining to do. 

8.            How can readers connect with you online?

BIO:
As an Inspirational Romantic Suspense author, Katy Lee writes higher-purpose stories in high-speed worlds. Through her writing, ministries, and teaching, she dedicates her life to sharing tales of love, from the “greatest love story ever told” to those sweet romantic stories of falling in love. Katy and her husband are born New Englanders and love to travel with their three adventuresome children.  You can connect with Katy anytime at her website, www.KatyLeeBooks.com. There you will find links to Facebook and Twitter.  Please look me up!

Also on my site you will find details to take part in the Lighthouse Photo Contest.  I hope to receive lighthouses from around the world. So please, take part!




Warning Signs
GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT

When a drug-smuggling ring rocks a small coastal town, the DEA sends Agent Owen Matthews to shut it down. A single father with a deaf son, Owen senses that the town's number one suspect—the high school's new principal—doesn't fit the profile. Miriam Hunter hoped to shrug off the stigma of her hearing impairment when she returned to Stepping Stones, Maine. But her recurring nightmares dredge up old memories that could prove her innocence—and uncover the truth behind a decades-old murder. Yet Owen's help may not be enough when someone decides to keep Miriam silenced—permanently.








RT Magazine Review:

4 ½ Stars -   "Miriam is a strong character who is not held back by what others may perceive as a weakness. Acceptance is a key theme as Lee dispels some misconceptions regarding people with hearing impairments."

3 comments:

Katy Lee said...

Thank you for spotlighting WARNING SIGNS! And for having me on your site.

PaulaP said...

Hi Katy! Your book looks really good! I really enjoy reading the Love Inspired line of books. :)

Katy Lee said...

Thank you Paula! Glad to hear it! I hope you will. :)