Sunday, September 22, 2013

Q & A with Katie O’Boyle!!!



1.  Tell us about your newest release.

Stepping Up To Love is a contemporary romance set in a small city in the Finger Lakes of upstate New York. It has a college-town flavor, a soupcon of 12-step spirituality, and a hint of Irish magic. Here’s a quick summary:

When her boss Joel Cushman catches her using the spa shower at The Manse, junior accountant and graduating college senior Manda Doughty comes clean about the alcoholic drinking that has led her into a disastrous relationship with a predatory professor. Joel, who is also a trustee of the college, is faced with more problems than a beautiful, naked woman in his shower. While he’d rather make love all night with funny, brainy Manda, Joel knows his desire for her has no future if Manda cannot stay sober, grow up, and face her problems. While Manda immerses herself in AA, Joel uncovers harassment and embezzlement that threaten the existence of the college his ancestors founded. Can he fix the problems at the college without exposing Manda to public humiliation? Can Manda clean up her mess and trust the love she feels for Joel? 

The odds may not be in their favor, but miracles happen for those who are willing to change their lives and open their hearts.

Stepping Up To Love is available on Amazon at:

2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

Something I had heard about but not experienced for myself before is the tremendous support offered by established Romance authors toward new Romance authors. I don’t know how I could have brought my book to publication so quickly without their encouragement, advice, and feedback throughout the process. I’m proud and excited to be part of this community of authors.

3.  How long have you been writing?

It took me forever to read and write; I think I was twelve when something finally clicked. Then I quickly became passionate about writing. My writing took a backseat to career (a combination of teaching and high tech) for many years. I started writing the Lakeside Porches romances in January 2012, and I’m deep into book three right now. Stepping Up To Love is book one; book two Coming Home to Love is with a publisher for consideration.

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My eighth grade teacher was an author, and she made the first big push toward making me an author. I’m a member of the Lilac City Rochester Writers group, which includes published authors like Kathryn Shay, Lisa Scott, Kat Henry Doran and Veronica Lynch, all of whom have influenced me. Authors I’ve met at writer’s conferences (like the Maine Romance Writers Retreat) have provided guidance and encouragement. Judges of contests like the Golden Pen and Golden Claddagh have contributed to my growth as a writer, and I am active in two monthly critique groups in Rochester, NY.

5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?

I think they’re having as much fun as I am! I visited my sister last spring and took a draft of book two for her to read, no obligation. The next morning, I noticed the manuscript open on the dining room table, and she’d already read several chapters. We’ve had multiple celebrations around the release of book one, and they’re planning a book signing when it’s available in paperback (around Valentine’s Day).

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Reading, of course, both romance and mystery. I love to walk in nature with my camera. Most of my friends are into birding, and we are fortunate to live near Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge. Finally, I am a classical music fan from way back, and I never miss an opportunity to see Peter Serkin perform.

7. Can you tell us what is coming up next for you?

Since my day job will become part time in a few months, I look forward to more writing time and time with friends and family. I’m focused on book three of Lakeside Porches right now, and there are more romances to come in that series. I also have early drafts of half a dozen romantic suspense novels set at a fictitious high-tech university north of Boston, where I lived for 20 years.

8. How can readers connect with you online?

You’ll find Joel Cushman and me tweeting @Tompkins Falls.
On facebook, look for /katie.oboyle.author
My blog and web page are at http://drkatecollier.wordpress.com/

Many thanks to Romance Reviews Today for hosting me. I enjoyed my time with you!



6 comments:

Kathryn Shay said...

Great interview, Katie. The book sounds great. Big congratulations.
Kathy Shay

Kim said...

Definitely sounds like a great read! And it was interesting to hear your beginnings as a writer. :)

Lisa Scott said...

Congratulations! Never too late to make your dreams come true! Here's to many more books with your name on them. :)

Joan Foley Baier said...

Another neat interview, Kate. And I can vouch for your book, having read it already and loved it.

Kate C. said...

I love hearing all this support! You all are the best! :-)

Veronica Lynch said...

that is by far one of the better blurbs I've read in a long time. Intriguing enough to be holding my breath till Valentine's Day in SF!!
Well done, cuz
Veronica