Friday, August 02, 2013

Get to know Lily Everett, author of Sanctuary Island!

1. Tell us about your release. Give us a blurb to tease us!
The first book in my new series just released: Sanctuary Island! I'm so excited to introduce readers to the special place that #1 NYT bestselling author Susan Wiggs called "a place of dreams." 

 Here's the blurb:
When Ella’s sister decides to reunite with their estranged mother, Ella goes along for the ride—it’s always been the two Preston girls against the world. But Sanctuary Island, a tiny refuge for wild horses just off the Chesapeake Bay, is more inviting than she ever imagined. And it holds more than one last opportunity to repair their broken family—if Ella can open her carefully guarded heart, there is also the chance for new beginnings. 

Grady Wilkes is a handyman who can fix anything…except the scars of his own past. When he accepts the task of showing Ella the simple beauties of the island that healed him, he discovers a deep sense of comfort he thought he’d lost. But now he must convince the woman who never intended to stay that on Sanctuary Island, anything is possible—forgiving past mistakes, rediscovering the simple joys of life, and maybe even falling in love.

2. Name five things (not research notes) that are on your desk right now.

1.) My mousepad and external keyboard, for when I hook up my laptop to the big monitor.
 Exciting, right? ; )
2.) A plastic baggie full of supplies for book signings, like bookmarks and gold "signed by author" stickers. Still not very exciting!
3.) The May issue of Saveur magazine, featuring a big, mouth-watering picture of a pizza on the front cover. Because I'm a masochist?
4.) A bubble-wrapped china sugar bowl that was hand-painted by my grandmother but has a big chip in it, and I keep meaning to take it somewhere to see if it can be fixed. Please don't ask me how long that particular item has been on my desk!
5.) A framed photo of me around age seven, wearing my favorite rainbow-striped, let's-play-pretend dress and holding a long stemmed pink rose like a magic wand--to remind me never to discount the power of the imagination.

3. What’s the best advice (writing or personal) that anyone has ever given you?

Katharine Hepburn said "If you always do what interests you, at least one person is pleased." And I do think that's good advice, both personally and professionally! Writing is a business and there may be times when you question your decision to write what you want when it looks like every editor is looking for something else--but in the end, the first and most important reader who has to love your work is you. The hard truth is that no matter what you write--no matter what you do!--you will never be able to please everyone. So why not please yourself?


4. What is your writing day like?

I live in Austin and I don't belong to a gym, so if any exercising is going to happen for me, it has to happen before 10 am when it starts getting hot. Therefore my writing day starts around 10:30 or 11, and lasts...as long as it takes me to write my quota for the day. Depending on how close to my deadline I am, my daily word count is between 1200 and 3000 words. Some days it takes me two hours, some days it takes me five--and it often takes me longer to write fewer words, because I write less per day at the beginning of the book, when I'm still figuring everything out and feeling my way forward. By the end, I can zip through a thousand words in an hour, like rolling downhill, as long as I've set everything up properly. I like to write with a group of friends out at coffeeshops, and I like to revise in my office at home.


5. If you could have dinner anywhere with any five authors, dead or alive, which five would you choose?

Maybe this is lame since I could actually do it rather than fantasize about it, but honestly? If I could cook dinner for any five authors, I'd choose some of my best friends and the authors of some of my favorite books: Roxanne St. Claire, Kristen Painter, Kresley Cole, Gena Showalter, and Sarah MacLean. There is no combination of writers, living or dead, who would be more fun at a dinner party--and I speak from actual experience!

6. If you weren’t writing, what other career would you have?
Well, my first publishing career was as an editor, and I did love a lot of things about that job--namely, getting paid to read! I'd love to go back to it someday, but it's like writing--very difficult to do as a hobby on the side. If you want to succeed at editing, it's all consuming. For a fantasy career....I'd have to say travel writer or restaurant critic! Still writing, but then I'd be getting paid to explore exotic places and sample exciting cuisines. What a life!

7. Finally….tell us how we can connect with you online.


4 comments:

Louisa Edwards said...

Thanks for having me on your fabulous blog! I'd love to give away a signed copy of Sanctuary Island to one commenter.

PaulaP said...

This book sounds really good and I absolutely love the cover! :)

Kathleen O said...

I have been hearing great things about his book. I can't wait to read it..

CherylR said...

I loved your Louisa Edwards' books(have them all) and know I will feel the same about Lily Everett.