Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Q & A with Missy Jayne!!!

1. Tell us about your newest release.
Lunchtime Sex is the story of a forty year old divorcee named Genie who falls into instant lust with twenty-four year old Nick. Unfortunately, she doesn't realize he is friends with her son, Mason. Genie and Nick meet when Nick walks into the leasing office where she works looking for an apartment. Mason doesn't spend time with Genie as he's away at college. Nick does realize who Genie is immediately, but she is so beautiful he can't resist the chance to learn more about her.

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?
There is a sex scene where her insecurities come to the fore and Nick uses humor to get past her inhibitions. I don't want to spoil it but I can admit I was laughing all through the typing of that scene, and then again for every read through. She realizes it's the first time she's ever had that type of fun while in the bedroom.
3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
I do remember writing as a child but those were just stories for myself. It wasn't until I was already an adult and had stories stuck in my head I NEEDED to get out that I realized I wanted to try writing for someone else to read too. Even then, it took me a few years to pursue being published and that only happened in 2008.
4. What is a typical writing day like?
After getting the kids off to school I waste time checking my many email accounts and my Twitter and Facebook. Then I look over my Works In Progress (WIPs) to see who is talking to me that day (my characters). Once I get a feel for one of them I set a goal of either word count, page number, or to get to a certain point in the story. Word count is the more typical one. Then I write until I hit that goal so long as no kid emergencies pop up.
5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?
Hmm, not really. I do try to always post my goal on Twitter so it goes out to the world and then I feel obligated to do it, lol. It keeps me accountable.
6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?
How supportive the community is. I didn't expect it to be full of sharks, but I was surprised by how completely awesome everyone has been to me. There has been no time over the past few years that I've felt alone. Any time I have questions or concerns I can turn to the romance writing community and vent or ask and someone will be there to help. It's been really great.
7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
I've had a LOT of encouraging friends both in and out of the writing community. When I first started writing again I joined an online community called writerscafe.org. It's changed a lot since then but when I first joined it was invaluable on feedback and encouragement. Also, my coworkers at the time were big fans of everything I gave them to read. They seriously boosted my confidence and made me realize people might actually like what I write.
8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?
They all share my excitement every time I'm offered a new contract. I have four daughters and three of them started writing stories after I first got published. The fourth one gets excited too but she's no writer, lol. My husband is super supportive, allowing me to stay home and write during the week while the kids are at school.
9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?
I love photography and of course reading. I've been a photographer for about twenty-four years. I've never done it professionally but love to shoot everything around me. I'm still stuck on film though. Maybe one day I'll go digital but not yet. As for reading, I read every genre but non-fiction. I love horror and fantasy just as much as romance.
10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?
I have another novel contracted with Ellora's Cave titled Too Much to Lose. It's the final book in my Love Beyond Barriers series. I also just signed a three book contract with Entangled Publishing for a series about sexy Archangel brothers. can't wait for that one!
11. How can readers connect with you online?
I'm on Twitter, Facebook, I have a blog and a website. Here are the links:

3 comments:

Missy Jane said...

Thanks again for letting me visit.
:-)

Kathleen O said...

This sounds like a great book. I love the older woman/younger man scenario. This is most definitely going on my must read list.

Great interview...

Missy Jane said...

Thanks Kathleen!