Thursday, March 21, 2013

Q & A with Christine DePetrillo!




1.      Tell us about your newest release.

My newest full-length release is FireflyMountain, a contemporary romance with a paranormal element. It combines a cozy Vermont town, a sexy, but shy firefighter, a photographer with a dangerous secret, an arsonist, and an awesome arson detection dog. When the firefighter and the photographer have to team up to catch the arsonist, they’ll either put the fires out in the town or…start a whole new one.  

2.      Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

One of my favorite scenes is when Gini, the photographer, and Patrick, the firefighter, have a water gun fight at Patrick’s house. They both let their guard down enough to be playful with each other and to notice each other. Wet T-shirts always lead to something more…

3.      When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I realized I wanted to be a writer the first time I wrote on my white bedroom wall with a bright red crayon as a child. My parents kindly redirected my inspiration to a piece of paper, and I’ve been at it ever since. 


4.      How long have you been writing?

I’ve been seriously writing for publication for the past ten years at least. I don’t see me stopping either. I’ve actually tried to stop, but characters keep popping into my head. They demand I write their stories so I have to, and honestly, I want to. 



5.      Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?

I write better barefoot. Something about wearing shoes stifles my Muse. 

6.      What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?

It was surprising to me that it was easier to write the book than actually get it published. You query agents and publishers. You get rejections. You query some more. You get more rejections. Someone once told me that when you have enough rejections to wallpaper a room, you’ll be published. That worked out to be true for me. 

7.      What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

Reading the romance greats such as Nora Roberts and Sandra Brown as I grew up certainly influenced me. I loved their stories and still do. I wanted to be able to write happily ever afters that made me feel the way I felt at the end of a Roberts or Brown book. Fellow author, Joseph Mazzenga, helped me become a writer in a big way. We started out writing together and if it wasn’t for him, I would probably never have gotten beyond the first pages of all the stories I’d started. 

8.      What does your family think about your career as a published author?

Hey, my parents didn’t yell at me for writing on my bedroom wall with red crayon so I’m fairly certain they’ve supported me from the beginning. Do some people ask, “What are you writing books for?” with that arched eyebrow of disbelief? Yep. Do I pay attention to them? Nope. 

9.      Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love to renovate, read, watch chick flicks with my friends, spend time in the mountains of Vermont (where Firefly Mountain takes place), craft, and play with my ginormous German Shepherd, Anubis. 

10.  Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I’ve just finished writing a teacher’s guide for helping students create fictional characters. It was a fun change of pace to write some nonfiction, but as I was doing so, all these characters kept volleying for attention in my head. I’ve got a writer’s notebook full of ideas just waiting to become books.
I think my next romance will be a contemporary centered around a hero who is a chainsaw artist. I’m not sure about the heroine yet. She hasn’t “spoken” to me, but she will.
I plan to publish a contemporary romance during the summer of this year titled More Than Pancakes. The hero is the owner of a maple syrup company in Vermont and the heroine is a hotel designer from California. She wants his land for a resort. He has no intentions of selling.
I’m also always adding poems to Night Eternal, a website I share with author Joseph Mazzenga, which features Drake, the vampire, and Arielle, the werewolf. The two exchange poems weekly. I write Drake and Joseph writes Arielle. If you like vamps and weres and dark, steamy poetry, stop on by. We’ve always got fresh blood or meat chilling in the virtual fridge for you.   

11.  How can readers connect with you online?

I’m on Facebook at www.facebook.com/christinedepetrilloauthor and on Twitter at @cdepetrillo. My author website is at www.christinedepetrillo.weebly.com. Night Eternal is at www.nighteternal.weebly.com and I’m at the Roses of Prose blog at www.roseofprose.blogspot.com on the 4th and 14th of every month.

Christine DePetrillo
Stories of Laughter, Love, and Hope

No comments: