Thursday, February 07, 2013

Rachel Brimble: Me & the US Romance Market…


Rachel Brimble

It’s great to be here today and I’m grateful for Romance Reviews Today for hosting me! Although I’m a Brit, living in South West England, I write for the US market. Unusual I know, but I am SO happy with the way my career is going and will be forever grateful for my US readers J

I started writing short stories about eight years ago and after some small successes in British women’s magazines, I embarked on my life-long ambition of becoming a romance novelist. In 2006, The Wild Rose Press contracted my first attempt at writing full-length and ‘Searching For Sophie’ was published in 2007.
Copyright © 2013
by Harlequin Enterprises Limited

Since then, I have had at least one book a year published by small presses, but it wasn’t until 2011 when I secured a US agent, that things really began to take off! I am happy to say in 2013, I will have two romantic suspense novels released with Harlequin Superromance, a Victorian romance with E-Kensington and a romantic comedy with Omnific Publishing. Busy, busy, busy!

So why the US?

Simple – after receiving over thirty rejections from UK agents, I either couldn’t write or I was targeting the wrong people, LOL! Whilst attending a romance writing conference, I pitched my latest novel (Finding Justice available now from Harlequin) to a UK editor. She requested the full manuscript, but said she thinks I have a distinctively global choice and had I considered seeking representation from a US agent?

The rest is history!

All my books feature UK characters in UK settings, but clearly the ‘tone’ of my books is global. I LOVE that I can write what I know (UK culture and settings) but people across the Atlantic enjoy my writing style and voice. I’d love to hear what you think – do you enjoy UK settings and characters? Or maybe you’re an American writing for the UK market?

I write contemporary and Victorian historicals – ideally, releasing them alternately to keep my writing fresh for my readers and me. Do you have a favorite sub-genre of romance?

I’m looking forward to chatting with you today!

Rachel’s latest release is “Finding Justice”, the first in an ongoing series set in the fictional UK seaside town of Templeton Cove. Here’s the blurb and buy links:

Old friends, new secrets 

Sergeant Cat Forrester lives by her own set of rules. When her childhood friend is murdered, Cat's world is thrown into chaos. Especially because Jay Garrett-a man from her past-is a suspect, and he needs her help to prove he's innocent. After all they once shared, how can she say no? 

The attraction flares between them, and getting involved with a suspect is a huge risk. But the more time Cat spends with Jay,  the stronger the tug on her heart. He is the same caring, irresistible man she remembers. Yet she can't let her emotions interfere  with the case-solving it is top priority. And as she digs deeper,  she discovers Jay has secrets that may jeopardize any possible future together.

Buy:





Bio:

Rachel lives with her husband and two young daughters in a small town near Bath in the UK.  After having several novels published by small US presses, she secured agent representation in 2011. In 2012, she sold two books to Harlequin Superromance. She also writes Victorian romance for Kensington--her debut was released in April 2013.

Rachel is a member of the Romantic Novelists Association and Romance Writers of America. When she isn’t writing, you’ll find Rachel with her head in a book or walking the beautiful English countryside with her family and beloved black Lab, Max. Her dream place to live is Bourton-on-the-Water in South West England…although she hopes a dream visit to Canada might just change her mind!

Links:

No comments: