Monday, February 25, 2013

Q & A with Regina Morris!!!

1. Tell us about your newest release.
 
"Eternal Service" is the first novel in the Colony Series. It is a humorous paranormal romance that involves a group of vampires, codename "The Colony", who protect the President of the United States. In my series, vampires can change their ages based on the blood they consume. Vampires drink a lot of blood and appear in their twenties. They live their life slowly growing older overtime by gradually limiting their consumption of blood. 
 
After 70 years or so they fake their death, move and start over. "Eternal Service" is the story of the leader of the Colony, Raymond. Raymond's boss, the human liaison between the vamps and the President, has decided to retire. His replacement is a human woman named Alex. She's a career-minded woman who has a past that haunts her. She wants true love and a family, but doesn't trust men. Raymond is widowed and still mourning over the death of his wife. He isn't looking for love, but it finds him. The book has a plot against the Supreme Court and the President, as well as a human Secret Service agent who picks up on clues that vampires exist. Can Raymond and Alex find happiness? Together, can they save the President? 
 
2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?
 
My favorite scene is after Alex attends a cocktail party at the mansion where all the vampires live. Raymond and his son, Sterling, are talking privately. Raymond has noble beliefs and doesn't like his son's philandering ways (especially since his dates are always human women). Raymond is looking for help from his son in terms of how to proceed with a relationship with Alex. Sterling tries to help, but basically just tears into Raymond. Insults are flying, accusations are made, ... but even through all of that you can tell these two characters have a strong family bond. It's a funny scene.
 
3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
 
It was just a few years ago. I had just discovered the genre paranormal romance and was reading a book a week. I just couldn't get enough of it. I had a stack of books that I had read several times, a stack of books that were good (but not re-readable), and a few books I didn't enjoy at all and never finished. I thought, "what is in these re-readable books that I enjoyed that isn't in the others?" Fifteen minutes later the entire world of The Colony was in my head. I had to take pen to paper.
 
4. How long have you been writing?
 
Just a few years. The first three books of The Colony are written, although just the first one is published. Book #2 will be out in September and book #3 in the summer of 2014.
 
5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?
 
I write whatever scene I'm passionate about for that day. This means sometimes I write the ending before the beginning. Since I outline my stories, it's never a concern to keep with the story line. 
 
6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?
 
How much time is spent promoting your book.
 
7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
 
Kerrelyn Sparks is my hero. I love her "Love At Stake" series. Thriller author Jeff Abbott has also inspired me. I first met him before he became an international best-selling author. He's proof to me that it can happen.
 
8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?
 
They're very supportive and excited. I presented my mother-in-law with a printed copy of my book and she was so excited she had to sit down! It was a priceless moment that I'll always remember.
 
9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?
 
Photography. I am an amateur portrait and sports photographer.
 
10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?
 
"United Service" is book #2 in The Colony series. It will be released in September 2013. Sterling is a half-breed vampire. He's the weakest link in the Colony team and he knows it. He jumps at the chance to do some fieldwork involving kidnapped vampire children. A nanny of one of the kids, Kate, teams up with him. She's a purebred vampire. Will Kate be able to accept a half-breed in her bed? Will Sterling set aside his bad-boy ways and win the love of his life? Can they save the vampire children from being murdered by a religious cult?
 
11. How can readers connect with you online?

No comments: