Monday, January 14, 2013

Q & A with Donna Cummings!



1.  Tell us about your newest release.

I Do. . .or Die is a sexy romantic comedy/mystery, about Shelby, a commitment-phobe bridesmaid, who's had colds last longer than her relationships. She manages to find the love of her life after things go wrong at the latest wedding she's in.

2.  Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story? 


This question took me the longest to answer! I kept changing my mind. (Plus I didn't want the other scenes to get jealous.) One of my favorites is when the hero and heroine are in an elevator, giving into the feelings they just said they weren't going to give into. They tried to resist. Boy did they try. But it was just too much for them, and I was happy to help them give up their resolve.  
 
3.  When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've always been fascinated by books and stories, and when I was a kid we made up our own tales and put them on as plays for the neighborhood. We even sold tickets, and then bought candy to sell during the play. Clearly the entrepreneurial spirit started at a young age! So I've always thought of myself as a writer. I just had to start writing down all of those stories swirling through my brain.

 Click link:

4. How long have you been writing?

I started writing 20 years ago, but then took a 10-year hiatus, to pursue other creative endeavors. But I started back up about five years ago and haven't stopped since.

5. Do you have an interesting writing quirk or habit?

Interesting? Hmm. I have a cantankerous muse, named Endora. She's addicted to coffee like I am. Only I'm much nicer and easier to get along with. (She isn't standing behind me right now, is she?)

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned as a published author?

How fun it is to hear from readers. I mean, I'd always thought about how great it would be, but it's definitely one time where reality beats fantasy! I love when I can make people laugh out loud through my characters, and I'm thrilled that readers have taken a chance on a new-to-them author. It's really great to get emails from readers, and see their comments on Goodreads and other sites.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I think everyone has influenced me -- other writers I've read and admired, as well as writers who have shared their knowledge and expertise so generously. There is such an amazing online support system amongst writers, especially romance writers, and it's fun to be part of it.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My mother would have loved it. She was a big reader, and we were always going to the library, which was my definition of heaven. My other family members aren't big readers, but they're happy that I'm happy. Plus now they understand why I'm always staring out the window -- I'm plotting!

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I spend so much of my time writing or thinking about writing, there doesn't seem to be much room for anything else. It's easier to list what I'm not interested in (i.e., cooking, cleaning, being a responsible adult). I do enjoy rubber stamping, and I create a lot of handmade cards, although not very many of them get sent out lately. I'm hoping to be better about that this year.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

It's a fun project, a series from Samhain called Strangers on a Train, and it includes novellas from five authors: Ruthie Knox, Meg Maguire, Samantha Hunter, Serena Bell, and me. Each story is set on a different train, with a different couple falling in love. It started when someone posted a picture on Twitter of a hot guy on a train, and we started chatting about it, and next thing you know, we had a series. My story, Back on Track, is a romantic comedy set on the Napa Wine Train, with a baseball pitcher trying to stay incognito, and a determined heroine trying to get him to pose for her celebrity beefcake calendar.  The books will be out on April 2nd.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

Facebook: www.Facebook.com/Donna.Cummings.Author

2 comments:

quantum said...

Hi Donna,

You seem to be orbiting the globe with all these interviews. I've read 'I Do or Die' which did indeed have me laughing a lot.

You have described yourself as writing romance with humour. I reckon that's spot on! Does humour come naturally through Endora or do you have to work at it?

I just watched a video from Paul LaViolette describing (in his theory) how super massive stars generate spiral galaxies through a continuous creation process. I think I see a spiral of books starting to form.

So far 'Lord Midnight' is my favourite but I rate them all 5-star reads

So is Endora brewing up the next member of the spiral book galaxy or is she drinking coffee again?

PS
Didn't mean to imply that you are super-massive .... that might be a flaw in LaViolette's theory! LOL

Donna Cummings said...

Quantum, I think humor comes naturally -- there are just so many things in life that are funny to me! At times, though, it felt like Shelby was writing this book by herself, while Endora and I were arguing about something else. LOL

Thanks for all the kudos. This is one time I like being called "super massive". LOL I'm finishing up a Regency novella right now, titled Lord Rakehell's Love, and hope to have it out in the near future. :)