Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Q&A with Robyn Corum!

Hi Patti! Thanks for having me today. I’m excited to share some time with your readers!
1. Tell us about your newest release.
It’s called Melinda Heads West and the story follows the adventures – and misadventures -- of a young lady named Melinda McCorkle as she travels from her home in Mississippi across three states.

 
Here’s the blurb from the back of the book:
What happens when a feisty young woman travels west in 1880 to pick up a family deed? If it's small-town Melinda McCorkle, you can count on luck to take a hike. Mindy is traveling with six strange men in a hard-riding stagecoach. When the coach breaks down, they're forced to walk the thirty-five miles remaining to her destination. That would be enough to try anyone's patience, but then the company is set upon by thieves and murderers in the form of the evil Byler brothers, and the stakes are raised.
Fortunately, Mindy makes the close acquaintance of two “gentlemen,” Luke Wilhite and Gary Boone, who try to help her through these dangers. 
Luke is tall and fair, while Boone is taller and dark. Mindy feels an immediate attraction to Boone, but he's married! Or is he? Who will finally win Mindy's affection?
2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?
I have several! One occurs in the beginning of the book when the group is walking toward their destination and Boone tries to take Melinda’s traveling bag from her. I love the interaction between the two of them! From the very beginning there is great chemistry between these two characters.
3. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?
That I could write a full-length novel! I write a lot of poetry and flash fiction, but I’ve always wanted to try my hand at a novel. I have several plot ideas playing around in my mind that would love to see the light of day. In the winter of 2011, I was challenged to write a book in under ninety days and I thought ‘what do I have to lose’? Melinda Heads West is the result. 
4. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
I love, love, love Maggie Osborne. She always inspires me! Other favs are Jodi Thomas and Lavyrle Spencer. When I was really young, my aunt, Lisa, wrote a lot of stories that kept me enthralled. My earliest memories of wanting to write and duplicate that effect came from those stories.
5. What does your family think about your career as a published author?
Oh, they’re all proud as punch! My husband has been really supportive the whole way. He was the first person to read Melinda when I finished it, and he urged me to go for it. My kids finally recognize that when I’m at the computer ‘working’, I’m actually doing something worthwhile! *smile*
6. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?
I love anything crafty and I adore photography. Of course, I love to read!
7. How can readers connect with you online?
Lots of ways! And I love to hear from readers! Here are a few avenues:
Twitter: @robyncorum 
Thanks again for having me today! 

@@@@@

Want to win a digital copy of Robyn's book?
 
One of Robyn's favorite scenes is at the beginning of the book when Boone tries to take Melinda's traveling bag from her. That part of the book is actually available as the "Look Inside" portion at Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/Melinda-Heads-West-ebook/dp/B009979330
 
Readers, email Robyn at robyncorum@aol.com and tell her what happened to Melinda's bag. She'll then enter them into a drawing for a lovely silver-finish (Romance!) heart bracelet. They just need to send their answer to: robyncorum@aol.com
 
Do not post the response in the comments section of the blog. 

1 comment:

Robyn Corum said...

Patti,

Thanks again for having me on your blog. I enjoyed our time together and I really like what you're doing here! Have a super day !!