Monday, November 19, 2012

Q & A with Elizabeth Lennox!!


1. Tell us about your newest release.

The Earl’s Outrageous Lover is about two people who initially think the other is completely wrong. Unfortunately, they can’t ignore the attraction they have for each other. Edward prefers schedules and rules. He is perfectly content with his life and has already selected a very beautiful woman for his wife, although he and Julianna have only had conversations about marrying and no formal agreement. Jessica wants to challenge life. She wants to push against every assumed rule and test it, see if it makes sense. She hates schedules and prefers to live each day with the assumption that a surprise will happen – and in her case, it normally does.

The Earl’s Outrageous Lover is about two people thinking they know what they want until Fate steps in and shows them that they were hoping for the wrong future – but they also realize that they are perfect for each other.

 2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

GUNS! I had to do more research on pistols than I’d anticipated. Apparently there are pistols that are better for women’s smaller hands, lighter, more and less trigger sensitive….it was fascinating. There’s a scene where Jessica is going to a shooting range in order to try to meet potential husbands. I’d initially had her shooting with a Beretta only because it sounded ‘right’. But it was explained to me by several strong and mighty (and very knowledgeable)men, the Beretta is a heavier hand gun and a Glock would be better for a woman’s smaller hand. The things I found out about handguns was fascinating and I also thought it was interesting how many men, strangers and acquaintances, were willing to give me their opinion on weapons. I appreciated all the feedback, even the amusing and not-so-romance-novelish suggestions.  

3. How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing ever since I finished college. I worked in property management right after school and it was interesting, but I knew it wasn’t my passion. I’ve wanted to write romance novels since I was in 8th grade – the first time I’d ever finished reading a book. It still took more than twenty years to get to the point where I could write full time and there were many, many points along the way when I wanted to just give up my dream because it wasn’t happening quickly enough. But with my husband’s support and technical savvy, I kept going even if no one ever read any of my books.

  4. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My friend Nancy was the first one to introduce me to romance novels in 8th grade and we would share books with each other, giving each other recommendations and talking about what we liked and didn’t like about each story. We loved historical romances then, and I still read those voraciously, but when I started writing my own romance, I fell into the contemporary genre.

 5. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They love it! They are all proud of me and continue to encourage me, even listening to my crazy plots over dinner. They roll their eyes every once in a while, but I don’t mind because I know that they all love the fact that I’m a writer.  

6. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love gardening! I love the weeding, the planting, moving plants around when they aren’t happy, finding new plants that work better (or worse) in a particular spot. I practice organic gardening which is actually much easier than using the chemicals. Composting all the fruits, vegetables and coffee grounds from my kitchen is actually better than the commercial brands – and has the added benefit of horrifying my children!

7. How can readers connect with you online?

I love hearing from people on Facebook at elizabethlenno1. I’m also on Twitter and Pintrest, but for direct contact, anyone can contact me at elizabeth@elizabethlennox.com.

No comments: