Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Q & A with Cate Lord!!!

1. Tell us about your newest release.

My latest release is Lucky Girl, a fun, quirky contemporary romance. It’s a fast-paced story told entirely from the heroine’s point of view that will make readers laugh out loud, as well as tug on tender emotions (yes, I’ve been told the ending is a tear-jerker). J

The heroine, Jessica Devlin, is twenty-nine, single, and a beauty editor for the Orlando-based magazine O Tart. She’s also heartbroken after finding out that her fiancĂ© slept with another woman just months before he and Jess were to be married. Feeling like the universe is against her, Jess’s self-confidence is practically non-existent. So is her love life.

Overdue for a vacation, Jess flies to England to be maid-of-honor in her cousin’s wedding. Jess is nervous about the trip, and not just because her cousin’s getting the fairy tale happily-ever-after Jess wanted. There’s also the embarrassing incident that happened two years ago after Jess’s grandfather’s funeral; it involved an English pub, too many drinks, an overflowing of grief for her grandfather, and a handsome stranger who comforted her while she bawled. That man was Nick Mondinello.

Jess figures there’s no chance of running into Nick again. She sets herself a vacation mission: to have a great time for a gal who’s single and on the cusp of turning the big 3-0. Then, she steps into the English church on the wedding day and recognizes the best man: Nick.

Jess resolves to avoid him. However, she can’t ignore that he’s one gorgeous, intriguing Brit. Moreover, fate keeps throwing them together. Nick wouldn’t possibly be interested in her, would he?

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

There were a lot of favorite scenes for me. However, I think my all-time favorite is the last one in the book—where finally, all of the good things that Jess deserves arrive on her doorstep. Literally. J I won’t say any more because I don’t want to spoil the surprise for my readers.

3. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

I love all of the characters I’ve created in my books, but as I wrote further into Lucky Girl, I learned just how much I adored Jess. She was always very real to me, even when the idea of the book was just a few rough scenes in my mind. However, through writing her story, she became like a best friend. I laughed with her, got angry with her, cried with her… I guess you could call her an imaginary BFF.

4. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I have a fantastic critique group; they’ve been part of my writing life for many years. My cp’s read chapters for me and give suggestions; they are fabulous writers themselves, and always give excellent feedback. It’s incredibly helpful to have people who aren’t as close to the story read it and point out where I need to flesh things out. My writing is better because of them.

5. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My family is incredibly supportive. My parents are very proud and give copies of my books to friends and associates. My husband and daughter have accompanied me to talks I’ve given at libraries and conferences, and they are wonderful at celebrating my good news—such as my recent first place win for Lucky Girl in the contemporary single title category of 2012 Heart of Excellence Readers’ Choice Awards. Personally, I will never turn down a chance at a nice dinner out with my family.

6. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love to bake and cook; I have a huge stack of recipes I’ve torn out of magazines that I want to make, and I’m lucky in that my family is always willing to taste something new. I also enjoy morning walks on the local nature trail, gardening (I do love fresh, home grown tomatoes), shopping at my favorite mall with my daughter, reading, browsing antique stores, having lunch with my friends, and lazy evenings with my family watching episodes of Warehouse 13, Once Upon a Time, Cake Boss, and Monk.

How can readers connect with you online?

Website: www.catelord.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cate.lord.9.
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/5013186.Cate_Lord

Thanks so much to Romance Reviews Today for the fun interview!


Win a Grand Prize of  a signed copy of Lucky Girl and a $25 Ulta gift card:





About Lucky Girl by Cate Lord:

Jessica Devlin isn’t looking for love. Heartbroken after being dumped by her unfaithful ex-fiancĂ©, she’s determined to have a fabulous time during her vacation in England where she’ll be maid-of-honor at her cousin’s wedding. After working overtime as beauty editor of Orlando’s O Tart magazine, avoiding dating, and putting on ten pounds, Jess is ready to toss her past like an empty lipstick tube and party like a single gal.

But when she steps into the church on her cousin’s wedding day, she sees the one man who could sabotage her plan—James-Bond-gorgeous Nick Mondinello. She’s never forgotten the London marketing exec who held her in his arms after her beloved grandfather’s funeral two years ago. Ambitious, and lusted after by women everywhere, Nick is completely wrong for guarded, Plain Jane Jess.

Could Spy Man Nick ever fall for her? Nope. Not unless Jess is one lucky girl. 


Available for purchase from Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Lucky-Girl-ebook/dp/B005L9B0B8/ref=tmm_kin_title_0) and Barnes & Noble (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/lucky-girl-cate-lord/1104559531?ean=9781937044213&itm=9)

 

16 comments:

Kathleen O'Donnell said...

This sounds like a great book and fun one to read..

shellbelle said...

This sounds like a fun book to read. Can't wait. I love it when an author really connects with one of their characters.

LSUReader said...

This sounds like a really fun book. Cate is a new author for me. Thanks for the post.

Cate Lord said...

Hello, Kathleen! :) Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Jess's adventure in England is definitely fun, especially when she runs into dashing Nick again...

Cate Lord said...

Hi, shellbelle! :) It's lovely to "meet" you! ;) Writing about Jess was a lot of fun; I still think of her as one of my best friends. Thanks for leaving a comment. :)

Chelsea B. said...

Hi, Kate! Your book sounds too cute! I can't wait to read it. I've had my eye on it for awhile. I hope to see more books from you in the future. Best wishes!

Cate Lord said...

Hello, LSUReader! I'm so glad you discovered me as an author. Yay! It's great to "meet" you and I hope you get a chance to read Jess and Nick's adventure.

Chelsea B. said...

Cate, I'm so sorry I spelled your name wrong!

Cate Lord said...

Hello, Chelsea B! Thanks so much for admiring my book; it IS a cute story, and the cover is total cuteness, too. Didn't Entangled give me the most wonderful cover design? I'm one lucky author. Thanks so much for commenting today, and I hope to "see" you again soon.

Cate Lord said...

Hey, Miss Chelsea! No worries! :) Have a great rest of your week.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the book and prize
Kimh

Martha Lawson said...

This sounds like a great book and the kind I need to read to relieve some stress!! Thanks for the chance.

Pat L. said...

I have never read Cate before. Love th cover and it sounds like an enjoyable read.

Cate Lord said...

Hi, Anonymous! :) Thanks for your congrats. I appreciate you stopping by. :)

Cate Lord said...

Hello, Martha! Laughing does help to relieve stress--and you're sure to giggle and laugh out loud while reading about Jess and Nick. I hope your stress isn't too bad. :( It's no fun being stressed, especially at this time of year. Thanks for commenting, Sweetie, and I hope to "see" you again soon.

Cate Lord said...

Hi, Pat L! Yay! I love when readers discover me as an author. I'm glad to hear you like the cover--I think it's perfect for the book--and hope you enjoy reading about Jess and Nick. Take care, and thanks for commenting. :)