Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Q&A with Miranda Neville!!!




1.  Tell us about your newest release.

My novella THE SECOND SEDUCTION OF A LADY is a second-chance-at love story. Max and Eleanor fell in love years earlier, but broke up when she discovered Max had participated in a bet about her. When they meet again by chance, Max is determined to win her back, despite her doubts about him and the institution of marriage in general.  Here’s a little snippet:

“He wanted her body, heart, and soul, forever. Her body he’d won before and he sensed from her response that he could do so again. But her heart was hidden behind defenses he’d never suspected existed, because he’d never taken the trouble to find out. As for her soul, he’d bruised it badly when he’d betrayed her trust with that foolish bet. He still had work to do to.
He kissed her gently, their lips moving together soft and sweet. It wasn’t a deep kiss but a slow investigation of taste and texture, a scouting trip with the promise of a full exploration. Max let lust fall away as he devoted his mind to the joy of a simple kiss with the woman he loved.”
  

2. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

Don’t write a prequel! Seriously, the novella is a prequel to my forthcoming novel THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING WICKED. It contains some of the history of Caro, the heroine of that book. Because I wrote the prequel after the novel, I kept running into facts I’d already put into the novel and I couldn’t change them. Nothing major because Caro’s story is only a subplot, but I did have to be really careful not to contradict myself.

3.  How long have you been writing?

In a way, most of my life. I had various jobs that involved writing non-fiction. I started to write romance about seven or eight years ago and I would have told you I’d never written fiction before. But when I was helping my dad move out of my childhood home, I discovered a box of unfinished (OK, barely started) historical romances I’d written as a teen and completely forgotten about. I am happy to say my writing has improved since then!

4.  What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I grew up reading the older type of romance – Georgette Heyer and Mills & Boon (the English equivalent of Harlequin). After a long break from romance I discovered the newer, sexier historical books by writers such as Jo Beverly, Mary Jo Putney, Amanda Quick, and Julia Quinn. I started to think it would be fun to try my hand at writing one. I learned by reading other writers but one can’t duplicate the work of others. In the end I had to find my own voice and style.

5.  What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They are somewhat surprised and very proud. My daughter brags about me but won’t read my books because they contain “sex written by Mom. Ew.”

6.  Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I live in the country and when I’m not writing you’ll find me gardening, taking long walks, cross-country skiing in the winter, and watching far too much reality TV. My favorites are Top Chef and Project Runway. I like to escape to the city, too, to visit art museums and see lots and lots of people in the streets.

7.  How can readers connect with you online?

I love to hear from readers! I can be found on Facebook and Twitter and on my own website. I blog regularly at The Ballroom Blog


No comments: