Friday, October 19, 2012

Q & A with CALLIE HUTTON!



1.      Tell us about your newest release.

A Prescription For Love is the third book in my Oklahoma Lovers series. It follows A Run For Love and A Wife By Christmas. Here is the blurb:

Guthrie, Oklahoma, 1903. Betrayed by his fiancée’s infidelity eight years ago, pharmacist Michael Henderson vowed he'd never risk his heart again. But he doesn't anticipate the tug of attraction he shares with his new employee.

Heidi Lester flees her home, determined to prove to her overprotective parents she can conquer her debilitating asthma, to make a life of her own. However, her unscrupulous fiancé has no intention of letting her go. He has his own plans for Heidi and her inheritance.

Will a scheme to ruin Michael's family force Heidi to marry her fiancé, or will assistance arrive from a surprising source to allow her to be with the man she truly loves?

2.      Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

Actually, my favorite scene is a spoiler, so I’ll give you another favorite scene. It’s where Michael brings Heidi to his family home for his cousin’s birthday celebration. Michael hasn’t brought a woman with him since he broke his engagement eight years before. Even though he’s still telling himself at this point that Heidi is only his employee, his family sees it differently. Much to his chagrin.

3.      What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your story?

I learned a lot about how asthma was treated in the early 1900s. It was an eye-opener to see ‘cigarettes’ for asthma. They were actually filled with medicine, but with the bad rap cigarettes has today, it seemed strange that doctors recommended cigarettes for asthma.

4.      What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I’ve always been a writer, doing newspaper and magazine articles and interviews for years. But a few years ago I attended a discussion panel with a group of Oklahoma Romance authors. Once I left that room, I knew what I wanted to do. So I sat down, went through one of my romance books, outlining the entire thing, then wrote my own book.


5.      What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My family are my biggest fans. J My sisters and nieces read all my books, and tell their friends about them—with a bit of bragging, I might add. My husband is a wonderful support, and is my self-appointed and non-paid publicist. My son and daughter are just as excited about my career. Although, I think my son is a bit embarrassed that his mother knows enough about sex to write love stories. J


6.      Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Reading. Even before I started writing, I read about 200 books a year. I still keep up about the same amount of books, a lot of them from author friends who I write reviews for. I also love to travel, and my husband and I hope to do some of it in the near future. I’m a history fan, also, and spend a lot of time researching, which is fun to me, because my husband and I take trips to museums, historical towns, etc.

7.      Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I have a Civil War novella coming out from Crimson Romance in November. I’m also self publishing a Christmas novella in November. I have a contemporary novella, and a full length regency on submission right now. I’ll be starting NaNo in conjuction with Entangled publishing next month. And I have a list of books I want to write next year.

8.      How can readers connect with you online?

Like all authors today, I’m involved in various social media. You can find me here: www.calliehutton.com, or Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Callie-Hutton/206166449404454, or follow on Twitter: @calliehutton

Buy links for A Prescription for Love:


Author Bio:


Callie has been making up stories since elementary school, and writing gave her a way to turn off the voices in her head.  She’s had a number of articles and interviews published over the years, and about two years ago, decided to put her writing skills to the test and write a book.
            Oklahoma is where she hangs her hat with her husband of thirty-six years, two young adult children, and three dogs.
You can catch her hanging out at Facebook, Twitter- @CallieHutton, and her home base, www.calliehutton.com. Stop by sometime and say hello.
Books by Callie Hutton:
Oklahoma Lovers series, #1, #2, #3
An Angel in the Mail
Tessa’s Treasures
Miss Merry’s Christmas, October 31st
Daniel’s Desire, November 19th
All of Callie Hutton’s books can be found at www.Amazon.com and www.BarnesandNoble.com.

13 comments:

Cheryl said...

Hey, Callie. Reading your book this week and loving it.

Congrats on your release.

-Cheryl

Cynthia Gail said...

Great interview, Callie. I read An Angel in the Mail and it was wonderful. Can't wait to start this series.

Calisa Rhose said...

My dad had emphezema and his dr actually ordered him to pick up smoking again to treat it. Go figure.

Love this book, Callie!

Jess * Jessie * Jessy said...

Enjoyed the interview. Your series sounds wonderful.

Callie said...

Thanks, everyone. I just got online after being in work all morning, and then a quick haircut. Glad y'all liked my interview. I appreciate you stopping by.

christine warner said...

Terrific interview Callie! Loved Michael in A Run For Love and I'm sure I'll enjoy this book too! Congrats on your release :)

B.J. Scott said...

Excellent interview and looking forward to reading the book ;)

Best of luck with this and all your books.

Ally Broadfield said...

These characters are so fun and just plain good people. Wonderful story!

Anna said...

You are such a gifted storyteller, Callie. I'm glad we share a common passion, and a special friendship :) 200 books a year? Wow! And that means reading the entire book, right? Not just the titles? LOL.

Callie said...

Thanks for coming by, ladies. I appreciate the support. Yes, Anna, reading the whole book, lol. BUT - I do nothing except read and write. Now hubby wants to drag me out of the house to do book signings. Ugh.

bn100 said...

Nice cover and interview.

RT Wolfe said...

Callie,
Don't you just love all we learn when research? Cigarettes for treating asthma? Wow. Great interview.
-R.T. Wolfe
www.rtwolfe.com

Caffey said...

I love historical romances! I confess its been a while since I read an American set one and don't see much set early 1900's. What I learn from the time periods too is fascinating but I do try not to go look up more because I get caught up in the history! Do you find that when you doing research for your books? Is there a site that you liked best for this series for the research?