Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Guest: HelenKay Dimon discusses Hero Personalities





Thank you for having me here today to talk about my recent release, LEAN ON ME. 


I'm going to be honest, my favorite part of writing a romance novel is the hero. Yes, I like the plots and heroines and all that, but I tend to build a book by thinking about the hero first. I have no idea why…okay, I probably have some idea why. There's just something about their flawed, sometimes damaged, always eventually loveable personalities, I adore.

Every now and then when I find a few extra hours, I look through some of my favorite books and think about the televisions shows I'm watching and try to figure out what I find so compelling about the male characters I can’t forget. It's sort of a constant striving to see if I can create one of those endearing hero types. The hero in this book, Mitch, is one of my favorites. He's a mix of hot and stubborn. He is really attracted to the heroine, Cassidy, yet not a wimp. And then there's that Tall, Dark and Handsome thing. Love that.

When I conducted my most recent male-characters-I love assessment I included some old favorites and a new one. Here's an edited list:

1. Johnny from Karen Robards' ONE SUMMER. Honestly, if you haven't read this, go buy it. He's the bad boy who comes back to town and has a thing for his former teacher. That last part makes my brain hurt, but Robards somehow makes it work. Because of their respective ages and later-in-life relationship there's no ick factor. But he is damaged and hot…really, go buy it.

2. The Navy SEAL on the new show LAST RESORT. Really, I can’t even remember the character's name but he is oddly compelling. Aside from being ridiculously handsome, he's kind of a mess. Drinks too much, has a darkness inside him but a baby face on the outside. I don’t think much on the show works, but he does. I keep watching for him.

3. Zane from the show EUREKA. This show just ended but there was this character Zane. He was wicked smart with a bad boy past, thanks to some hacking issues. He isn't as dark as either of the guys named in #1 and #2 but there's something about him. Probably has something to do with his relentless pursuit of a woman, Jo, who is a toughie and tries very hard not to fall for him. I'm thinking part of the attraction with him, in addition to the impressive abs, is Smart Guy Hottie thing.

Next time I assess the list will change, though Johnny ends up on it a lot. If there's anyone I should add to the rotation, let me know.


Post a comment to win a digital copy of LEAN ON ME from HelenKay!
 
 

Learn more about LEAN ON ME (and HelenKay) by visiting her website:


4 comments:

Kathleen O'Donnell said...

Heroes are very important in any book.. One of my fav heroes, and I love the more mature hero, is "Gibbs" on NCIS.. Mark Harmon is a real turn on for me... Just to name a few of course. In a book, I would say one of my fav heroes is Jack Sheridan - in Robyn Carr's Virgin River series. He is the guy who eveyone turns to when they need help or just a some one to listen to their troubles.. Got to love a man like that. Some one who just steps up to the plate and does what he says he will do.. That take charge kind of guy..
I have yet to find one of those in my life.. But I will keep trying..
I can't wait to read your book..

LSUReader said...

HelenKay's latest sounds like a fun book. Thanks for the giveaway.

bn100 said...

Congrats on the book! Nice list of heroes.

Martha Lawson said...

One Summer remains one of my all time favorite books! It is great. Your book sounds awesome and I'd love to be entered to win it. thanks.