Monday, August 20, 2012

Q & A with Beth Yarnall!


1.      Tell us about your newest release.

Here’s the back cover copy for my romantic suspense novel, Rush-

Someone is stalking Miyuki Price-Jones.

As the host of a very successful home shopping TV show that sells adult toys, Mi has become the object of an ex-con’s obsession, requiring the services of ex-Navy SEAL turned bodyguard, Lucas Vega. As the attraction between Lucas and Mi grows, Lucas has a difficult time keeping his feelings for Mi separate from his mission to keep her safe. A mission that is more challenging than anyone could have predicted.

    Damaged by their pasts, Lucas and Mi find more in common then they could have imagined and secrets they thought would tear them apart could be the ties that bind them together forever. But with the stalker growing bolder, Lucas and Mi must learn to trust each other or risk losing more than their hearts.

One of them could lose their life.

2.      Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

My favorite scene was also one of the most difficult to write. It’s between Lucas and Mi. Without giving away any spoilers, it’s the one that reveals something big in Lucas’s past. From the start of the book he behaved in a certain way and I couldn’t figure out why. I thought about trying to make him change. Instead I decided to wait for him to tell me what his deal was. I’m glad I did. I think that scene is one of the most powerful in the book. One of my critique partners gasped when she read it and I knew I had a winner.

Beth Yarnall

3.      What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Aren’t all writers a little bit quirky? After all, we talk to and about imaginary people as if they’re real. But if I had to pick just one quirk it would be how I choose the names for my characters. For Rush, I knew my heroine would be part Japanese and that she would have a Japanese first name. For some reason it had to start with an M. I put the call out on Facebook for people to suggest female, Japanese names that began with M and asked them to tell me what the names meant. Someone suggested Miyuki (Mee-yuw-kee). I loved the way it sounded when I said it as well as the shortened Mi (My). Miyuki means silence of deep snow. It’s derived from the Japanese yuki (snow), the name can be indicative of a quiet, peaceful, and serene personality. Although Mi appears composed on the exterior, she is anything but serene on the inside and her life hasn’t known much peace. I was intrigued by the contrast.

 4.      What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book?

Hmm, well, that would have to be the chemistry between Lucas and Mi. I got physically warm every time I sat down to write, Rush. No joke. Lucas and Mi are hotter for each other than two cats in a sock. It was chore to keep them apart until the right time. I still get a little sweaty thinking about them.

 5.      What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

One of the bravest writers I’ve ever read is Charlaine Harris. I especially love her Lily Bard series. She isn’t afraid to take her characters down dark allies, kill them off or force them to deal with horrible events. She’d kill off a character and I’d think- I can’t believe she did that! How could she kill so-in-so?! And it would be exactly perfect. I want to be as brave a writer as Charlaine.

 6.      Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Reading, watching my sons play ball, putting together 1000+ piece puzzles, and sometimes knitting although I can’t make anything more complicated than squares and rectangles (scarves, afghans, dishcloths).

Wow. I sound kind of boring. I should have mentioned that I also do underwater welding and spelunking (not really).

 7.      Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Currently I’m working on a paranormal romantic suspense. Here’s the log line- a woman concealing her ability to see the past and future must confide in a sheriff with undiscovered talents of his own in order to find a murderer with the power to attack other’s abilities and kill people with his mind.

I’ve also written a cozy mystery about a hairstylist who turns detective when a famous hairstylist is killed and her best friend is arrested for the murder. Think Stephanie Plum in a hair salon.

 8.      How can readers connect with you online?

I absolutely love social media and can be found on…

Twitter- @BethYarnall

Facebook- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Beth-Yarnall/187061544661981

Hope to see you there!

 Check out RUSH by clicking here

Beth Yarnall writes romantic suspense, mysteries and the occasional hilarious blog post. Beth lives deep in the heart of `The O.C.' California with her husband, two sons, and their dog where she is hard at work on her next novel. For more information about Beth and her stories please visit her website- www.bethyarnall.com.

No comments: