Thursday, July 19, 2012

Q&A with Ava Delany!






1.       Tell us about your newest release.



Dark Daze is a paranormal romantic suspense.

 
On Dec 21, 2012, at 2:12pm, the sky went dark all over the world, and people's lives changed in ways they feared to admit. Thousands died in accidents while others claimed to have seen demons and found themselves locked up in their local psychiatric ward. Scientists explained away the phenomenon, and things seemed to return to normal.

After a decade of trying to conceal a power she never expected or wanted, Brie Duval was used to being alone. When life—or more appropriately, a meddling friend, sends her on a blind date with Ian Connors, she discovers she wasn't the only person to gain powers on Dark Day.

They find themselves falling in love while on the run from a creature with eyes that suck in light and a force that controls their wills. Brie can't help but fear their love is a side effect of the menace. In order to survive, they must put aside their fears and embrace the gifts they've fought so hard to deny.


2.       Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?


There are so many. I really enjoyed writing this book. I have a soft spot for the last love scene, but I'd have to say I love being with her when she receives her gift. The experience is disturbing and tells a lot about her.



3.       Does your cover represent what is between the pages?


Yes, most definitely. I'm very happy with the way the cover came out.



4.       How much research does there go into your stories?

It depends on the story. For most stories, I find the research is minimal. This story did take some researching about powers, psychology, and technology. I really enjoy research though, so I can't complain about having an excuse to spend hours reading about fun and interesting events and objects. I suppose that's why I love the discovery channel. (They have a great special on sexual attraction, too.)



5.      When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


I've always loved writing. From my childhood to now I've written and read constantly. In fact, I get cranky if I can't write regularly. My husband often says "You're grumpy. Do you need writing time?" haha



6.      What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I can polish inspiration, but if I miss it, I can't ever duplicate it. In other words, if a scene starts playing in my head, I have to write it. If I don't have the chance, the scene will never be as good from memory.



7.       What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?


I was surprised to discover recurring themes and images that ran through all my stories and tied them all together. I never realized I had repetitive themes in my life, or ideas I revisited, until I started looking at a number of my stories. It helped me understand the concerns I had in my subconscious. I think that's why we feel close to a writer after we read a number of their books. We get a glimpse of what is important to them, even when they don't intend to share.



8.       What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?


So many authors influenced me. I think you'll see some of their influence in Dark Daze. Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Douglas Adams, Nora Roberts, and many others.  As far as people, I had a few friends who have been instrumental in my stories. I owe a lot to my critters,



9.       What does your family think about your career as a published author?


They are happy for me, and very supportive, for the most part. There are a few though, who don't know--or don't acknowledge--that I write.



10.   Besides writing, what other interests do you have?


I love to hang out with my family, read, and travel. In that order is good, but all at once is better. A cruise where I could sit on the deck of a ship heading to some exotic location while I read and my kids play nearby would be heaven. Just a minute, I'm daydreaming... Almost done... Okay, I'm back.



11.   Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?


I'm working on the next in the Dark Day series, Branded. I'm hoping to have it finished soon.



12.   How can readers connect with you online?

You can visit my website for general updates, www.avadelany.webs.com. For personal interaction, you can join me on twitter - https://twitter.com/avadelany. And you can find me on facebook - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3346936.Ava_Delany and Goodreads - http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3346936.Ava_Delany.


1 comment:

flchen1 said...

Ava, this sounds like an intriguing read--I've been enjoying those darker stories! Will have to check out your Dark Day series!