Friday, June 01, 2012

Research ... a real job but oh so important! by Kat Martin


     Sometimes what you think is going to be a great idea for a book turns into a great big UGH!  That’s what happens when the research takes on a life of its own and you have a whole lot more work to do than you had planned.  Not that it isn’t usually interesting. 

     AGAINST THE SUN, the sixth book in my AGAINST series, deals with a visit to Texas by a Saudi Arabian sheik and his family.  The sheik is there to negotiate a three hundred million dollar oil-well equipment sale with one of Marine Drilling International’s vice presidents, Sage Dumont.

     That’s hero, big Jake Cantrell, first appeared in AGAINST THE LAW.  At six-foot-five, two-hundred-forty pounds, tough and smart, I knew the minute he walked onto the page that Jake would make a great hero.  

     He also appeared in AGAINST THE NIGHT when Johnnie Riggs and Amy Brewer’s adventure took them to the jungles of Belize.  In AGAINST THE SUN, Jake is hired to act as Sage’s bodyguard during the Saudis’ visit.  Being a Special Forces Marine who’s done corporate protection work in the Middle East, Jake can also teach her the protocols she will need to know in order to make the deal.

     That’s where the research came in.  Fortunately, I have a close friend who’s an internationally famous bounty hunter.  He’s also done a great deal of work as a bodyguard and even teaches classes on the subject in Florida, now that he’s retired.  When Bob Burton was in Santa Barbara last year, I was able him to corner him for lunch.  That’s when he mentioned the protocols that a businessman had to learn in order to negotiate a deal with the Saudis.  

     Customs like sitting with your legs crossed and showing someone the bottom of your foot, which is considered a grave insult.  Or making a circle with your fingers for the okay sign.  To a Saudi Arabian, that is considered giving someone the evil eye.

     From that moment on, I knew I had my work cut out for me.  The research involved in getting the customs, clothing, and attitudes of the Saudi visitors correct made AGAINST THE SUN one of the most difficult books I’ve ever written.  And also one of the most interesting. 

     On top of the research, there was the problem of dealing with women’s rights in Saudi Arabia without offending anyone.  

     In the end, I think Sage and Jake are two of my strongest, most heroic characters.  I hope readers with think their love story is equally strong.   

     I hope you’ll look for AGAINST THE SUN and the rest of the books in my AGAINST series, and that you enjoy them all.  

     Very best wishes, Kat    

Comment to be entered in a chance to win a copy of AGAINST THE SUN!


BOOK SUMMARY
It's not in bodyguard Jake Cantrell's job description to share his suspicions with his assignments. Beautiful executive Sage Dumont may be in charge, but Jake's not on her payroll. As a former special forces marine, Jake trusts his gut, and it's telling him that there's something off about a shipment arriving at Marine Drilling International. His instinct is aroused...in more ways than one.
A savvy businesswoman, Sage knows better than to take some hired gun's "hunch" as gospel. And yet she is learning not to underestimate the man her grandfather hired to protect her. Determined to prove Jake wrong, Sage does some digging of her own and turns up deadly details she was never meant to see.
Drawn into a terrifying web of lies and deceit—and into feelings they can't afford to explore—what Jake and Sage uncover may be frighteningly worse than they ever imagined.

Learn more about AGAINST THE SUN by clicking here



13 comments:

Laurie G said...

As a reader I don't always realize the time involved in researching a book. Saudi Arabia sounds like an interesting country with it's unique culture and beliefs.

I've purchased the earlier books in this series. I would love to win AGAINST THE SUN!

Kathleen O said...

I always appriicate the time an author has put into researching details in their books.. Especially the settings. Makes me feel like I am there too or maybe a place I want to visit..
I have this book on my must buy list...
thanks for the give away..

Paranormal and Romantic Suspense Reviews said...

I'm always happy and appreciate the time and effort an author puts into their researching details (ex. settings, clothes, customs, etc.)

I love this series and have been waiting for this one to released!

Thanks for the great giveaway!

Jane said...

Congrats to Kat on the new release. It's great when you have friends that you can turn to during research for a book.

StacieD said...

Doing all of that research is such a huge commitment. I can understand how an author could be exhausted after writing a book.

geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

Kat Martin said...

Appreciate all the kind words on the Against series. I has certainly been one of my favorites to write. I hope you all enjoy SUN. I've had lots of comments on hunky Big Jake Cantrell. warmest,kat

bn100 said...

Congratulations on the book! Very interesting research.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Great inteviev congrats on the book and great reviews, whoo Ty for. Givaways
Kimh

catslady said...

I too am trying to get caught up on all your books in this series and have a couple more to go. I am one of those "read in order" people lol. Can't wait to get started!

catslady5(at)aol.com

MoB said...

I love hearing about what a writer researches to write a book. I learn a lot from the results of all those hours spent. I can't wait to read this one and learn more about an interesting culture.

Estella said...

I love this series--can't wait to read Against The Sun!

Kat Martin said...

This one was tough to research but very interesting and I did learn a lot. hope you all enjoy Against the Sun. have a great summer, kat

Maureen said...

It must be difficult to write about other cultures that are so different from our own.