Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Q & A with Sophie Greyson!



First off, if you have any questions or comments for Sophie, be sure to post in the comments as she's giving away a download of HEAVEN SCENT to one lucky winner.  

1. Tell us about your newest release. 

Sure! Here is a quick blurb:

On her deathbed, Lady Jane Worthington makes her eight-year-old daughter, Tarin, promise her three things: live life as she pleases, do not allow her father to arrange her marriage and, most of all, marry for love.

After witnessing her mother's suffering and subsequent death, Tarin is determined to save others from the same fate. And nothing, not her noble status, nor society's belief that women cannot be doctors, will keep her from making Gregory's first female medical college a reality.

Rafe Sutherland, long-lost Brahmin rogue turned Texas Ranger, returns home after his father‘s mysterious death, bearing secrets. Rafe’s wildly virile and arrogant persona, as well as his animosity with a college-supporting suitor, threatens Tarin's plans. And her father's continual matchmaking with the national hero makes Rafe completely out of the question.

What Tarin doesn’t realize is that Rafe comes with a little help from above, and what mother wants, mother gets.

The opening scene of this book makes me cry every time I read it, yet there are lines in this book that make me laugh out loud. Makes me wonder if there is some psychological significance to that. J

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

OK, I love to laugh at good banter and this scene makes me laugh just thinking about it. J Rafe is fit to be tied after a week away from Tarin. He sees her at a ball surrounded by suitors and really gets steamed. He whisks her away from her next dance partner and whirls her onto the dance floor a little too hard. J Tarin is seething – how dare he! Their banter and insults mask the sexual tension that is thick after a week apart. Rafe continues to jerk Tarin around the floor until she is dizzy. When she goes into a coughing fit after a gasp at one of his comments, he takes her outside where their heated anger soon transcends into a major makeup (or would that be make out?) session. J Where the scene inside was light, jerky, the scene outside is dark, sensual and even touching. I like the contrasts.

3. Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?

If something is meant to be, nothing can stop it from happening. And for Tarin and Rafe, their love is destined.

4. How much research does there go into your stories?

For Heaven Scent – A LOT. Primarily, I used some of my college history books for Rafe’s background, the Harvard Open Library Collection was a great source for me on the Female Medical College. I also bought some books on opium trading in the 1800s, and found a great book of newspaper stories that ran in 1848 Boston, which is the setting of my book. I did hit several miscellaneous websites as well, including maps of the city.

5. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

You know, growing up, no one in our family had ever shown an interest in writing. Suddenly, several years ago, my brother had a magazine article published. At the time I thought, “Wow, really? Maybe I can do that.” But I just kind of put it by the wayside. Then I found out my sister wrote poetry, and I knew it was in the genes. J But I didn’t want to write articles or poetry. I wanted to write romances because I loved to read them. And I believe, in all things, if you love what you’re doing, you will always be good at it. J

6. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Well, I don’t know if it’s interesting but it’s definitely a quirk. J I try to fool myself into thinking I’m a plotter. But when I create a plot outline, I usually never stick to it. My characters tend to take over scenes and change things. So, when that happens, I go back to my plotting outline and change it to reflect my character’s changes. Even if I have already written the scene. Weird, I know. But, when I am done, it helps me to look at the overall character arc and W plot.

7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

I had more patience than I ever thought possible. I had always considered myself an impatient person, but writing and the publishing business are not to be rushed. I believe you cannot rush creativity and the imagination. It needs time to breathe and blossom.

8. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My first writing class was given by Author Linda Bradley. She was such an enthusiastic instructor that I couldn’t help but love the idea of writing. Authors Robyn DeHart, Emily McKay, Pam Morsi, Deborah Gafford, Hattie Ratliff, and Delores Fossen were members of the local RWA chapter and were great mentors to me. More recently, authors Linda Carroll-Bradd, Janice Edgerson, Patricia W. Fischer and Mary Brand were members of the critique group that helped me complete Heaven Scent. I could not have done it without their invaluable input.

9. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They have been nothing but supportive. Then again, they have always been supportive in everything I do. I would expect nothing less.

10. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

LOVE going to the movies. I am a huge Avengers fan, Twilight fan and anything historical. I love reading romances, and watching Once Upon A Time and The Voice on TV. I am a fan of the San Antonio Spurs and love watching them play.

11. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Yes! I am working on a contemporary romantic comedy that I hope to have out by the end of the year. It is set in a small Central Texas town and yes, cowboys will be present. Lots of them. J I had so much fun writing this one.

12. How can readers connect with you online?


Thank you for having me!

7 comments:

pawf1067 said...

Love this book and I was so excited to see it in print.

bn100 said...

Very nice interview. The book sounds intriguing.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Melody May said...

This sounds like a great book.

countessofmar@yahoo.com

Linda Carroll-Bradd said...

I responded to your comment about letting the work blossom and breathe. Sometimes that is the best way to develop a scene to its fullest. I remmeber your story so well from critique sessions and wish you all the best with its success.

Sophie Greyosn said...

Thanks so much for commenting on my interview! I think you may have learned a little more info about me than you wanted to know. :)

The winner by random drawing of a free copy of Heaven Scent is Melody May! Congratulations! Melody I will email you a link where you can download my book.

Thanks so much for taking time to drop me a line. For the latest stop on my virtual book tour, check the News page on my website at sophiegreyson.com.

Don't forget to connect with me online at Facebook and Twitter! See you there!

Caffey said...

I'm excited about this book!! I love cowboys (especially in historicals!) I too get emotional with reads and I'm sure I'll have tears too! I love the blurb! Is there more characters in this book Sophie, that you may plan to have more books related to it?

Sophie Greyosn said...

Hi Caffey!

Yes, I do plan Beau & Isabel's story, as well as a story for Kit, Tarin's best friend. Like my Facebook and/or Twitter page for the latest on my releases.

Thanks for the comment!