Thursday, May 24, 2012

Q & A with Carol A. Spradling!







1. Tell us about your newest release.

Shades of Gray is the story of a tormented man who allows himself to be ostracized by the entire town in order to protect someone he loves.

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?
There is a scene in the beginning of the book where Kat, who has been severely beaten, arrives at Gray's home. Her broken and battered body reminds Gray of a similarly horrific time in his life. The tenderness he shows her, while struggling with his own private memories, is very gripping.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?
When I mentally rewrote each book I read, I knew there was only one way to get
the type of ending I was looking for. I would have to write it myself.

4. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?
I don't know if this qualifies as a quirk, but I tend to facially express the emotions of the characters as I type the scene.

5. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
How much fun it is. Don't get me wrong, it is a lot of work, but I love to watch the  characters develop as the story takes shape.

6. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?
Initially, Diana Gabaldon, Jo(anna) Bourne, Kristen Callihan, and Jennifer Hendren offered advice and encouragement. Today, Peggy Henderson is my invaluable, critique partner. I am amazed by her insight.
7. What does your family think about your career as a published author?
Although, I recently learned that my daughter is embarrassed by my covers,
everyone is very supportive.

8. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?
I love hiking in the mountains. My husband and I go to the North Carolina mountains every chance we get. A morning hike followed by an afternoon of writing is my kind of day.

9. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?
I've started a time-travel series and hope to release book 1, Faithfully Yours, this fall. There is a small twist with this series. Instead of traveling hundreds of years through time, the heroines in my series time travel within a fifty year range.

10. How can readers connect with you online?

No comments: