Monday, May 21, 2012

Guest Blogger: Sophie Barnes: A closer look at some of the locations mentioned in Lady Alexandra’s Excellent Adventure





Since most of the plot takes place in Paris, I was able to draw from my own memories of the city – having lived there for two years during the late nineties. The apartment where I stayed at that time, was located in the Passy, not far from Trocadero and with a direct view of the Eiffel Tower through the French doors of my bedroom. The apartment where Alexandra, Ryan and Michael stay during their assignment, was inspired by this place, although I unfortunately had to exclude the Eiffel Tower in order to preserve historical accuracy =)

Montmartre is also largely based on memory – I used to love going there on weekends to enjoy the view of the city. During the Regency period, Paris wasn’t as huge as it is today, and Montmartre was still outside the city limits and free from Paris taxes. Wine was made by local nuns there – and Alexandra and Michael do sample a glass or two =) Toward the end of the 19th century, Montmartre became a place for seeking entertainment with singers, artists, performers, and famous cabarets like the Moulin Rouge and Le Chat Noire increasing in popularity.

My biggest challenge in terms of describing a place with as much accuracy as possible was probably the Tuileries Palace where Napoleon resided.  The magnificent edifice, which was located right before the Louvre if you happened to be coming from the Tuileries Gardens, burned in a fire in 1871 and was eventually demolished after the ruins had stood on the site for eleven years. A couple of old photographs do exist, but it was difficult describing the interior as well as I would have liked, until I stumbled upon a very detailed account by N. Robinson in Frank Leslie’s Popular Monthly, Volume 17 from 1884. I’ve included the link below, for those of you interested in reading about the history and the interior of this magnificent palace that sadly, no longer exists.


 



 I’d like to thank Romance Reviews Today for hosting me today. I’ll be popping in throughout the day to chat with you and to answer any questions that you might have. So feel free to leave a comment or two - let me know if you’ve ever visited Paris or if you hope to do so one day. 

If you’d like to follow the rest of my tour, I’ll be back again tomorrow at www.loveromancepassion.com to talk about women who dueled =)

To find out more about me, Lady Alexandra’s Excellent Adventure, or my upcoming releases, please visit my website at: www.sophiebarnes.com

You can also follow me on twitter at: @BarnesSophie
or on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/AuthorSophieBarnes

To see the book trailer, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2PbyzMfmiA


#####

A big thank you to Sophie for being our guest!

She is giving away an e-arc of LADY ALEXANDRA'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE to one lucky poster. 

Ask a question or post a comment and you'll be entered in a chance to win.

10 comments:

Sophie Barnes said...

Good morning and thank you for hosting me today! I'm so thrilled to be here =)

Lisarenee said...

This sounds like a great book. I wish I had lived in Paris for two years. At least with books like yours I can feel like I have been there. :) Lady Alexandra seems like a really fun character. I love romances that include a strong and independent women in historical times. They usually are the funnest to read about.

Karen H in NC said...

I have never been to Paris (or anyplace in Europe for that matter) but I would one day love to visit. Your book sounds like a truly excellent adventure and I can't wait to get my hands on a copy!

Thanks for the giveaway...maybe I'll be lucky here!

Evie Knight said...

Hi Sophie,

It's so exciting to see your 2nd book out. You've been missed at our one wicked romance a week reading group, twitter and everywhere else, but you've been a busy lady ;) I don't yet have this one, but I can't wait to read the fun and excitement I know it has. As always, best wishes on this release.

Xo,
Evie
http://inluvwithromance.blogspot.com

Sophie Barnes said...

Hi Evie,
I've missed you too - thank you so much for the positive reinforcement. I'll be looking for your review on one Wicked romance a week =D

bn100 said...

This book sounds fascinating. I've been to Paris and would like to go again. It was great.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

kimmyl said...

This book sounds great and I love the cover. Wish I could go and just visit Paris. How awesome!

readingdiva@ymail.com

Laurie G said...

Did you go to school in Paris?
Were the people friendly?
Do you have any other favorite must see recommendations for those of us who haven't visited Paris?
Favorite thing to eat in Paris?

Stella Ex Libris said...

Thank you for the lovely post Sophie! I LOVE Paris, when I was 20 for my birthday I asked my parents for a trip there: spent a whole week all alone in Paris, soaking up the city and walking all day and discovering the city. One of my favourite places was Montmartre as well, it ha such a lovely atmosphere. I'm curious to read your Regency take on Paris and how you changed/adapted the modern Paris we know :-) Thank you!

stella.exlibris (at) gmail (dot) com

Karen H in NC said...

Just wondering when a winner will be announced. Thanks