Thursday, May 17, 2012

Guest Blogger: HelenKay Dimon ... with a contest!


Thank you for letting me stop by here today to talk about my newest release, WHEN SHE WASN'T LOOKING.  I thought I'd talk a little about one of my favorite topics – heroes.


One thing that is consistent for me whether I'm writing romantic suspense, contemporary, or thinking about that super sexy futuristic series I've been toying with writing, is my love of heroes.  I love them.  Tough, jerky, overly alpha, funny, sweet, it all works for me. Readers talk about needing to relate to the heroine, and I get that, but I really have to fall for the hero.  If I do, I can forgive a lot.  A lot.


Jonas is the hero of this book.  He's frustrated and a bit grumpy and more than a little damaged because of some things that have happened to him, but he's rock-solid in the decency department. Sometimes I love heroes who are most of those things, but maybe don't realize they're the decent type.  Some of my all-time favorites are:



1.     Duncan from Linda Howard's DUNCAN'S BRIDE

2.     Gray from Linda Howard's AFTER THE NIGHT 

3.     Gideon from Amanda Quick's RAVISHED

4.     Jared from Sandra Brown's HIDDEN FIRES

5.     Johnny from Karen Robards' ONE SUMMER

6.     Lucky from Tami Hoag's LUCKY'S LADY

And there are many more, but those give you an idea. You may notice some hyper alpha tendencies in these heroes.  Yep, that's a weakness of mine, too.  In real life the over-the-top alpha doesn't do too much for me, even if he has a supposed heart of gold.  Maybe if some of those alpha tendencies are tamed, then okay. But in a romance novel, I swoon.  The tougher he is, and the harder he falls and more he has to grovel to win over the heroine, the happier I am as a reader. 



I can't be alone on this, can I?


Learn more about WHEN SHE WASN'T LOOKING by visiting HelenKay's site at: http://www.helenkaydimon.com/index.php




Post a comment or question for HelenKay and you'll be entered in a chance to win a copy of WHEN SHE WASN'T LOOKING or another one from her backlist, winner's choice.


7 comments:

Kathleen O said...

Oh you have a fav of mine on your list Helen, Jared from Sandra Brown's Hidden Fires... and how about Jack from Robyn Carr's Virgin River.
And the hero I am reading about now, Mick Riley from Jaci Burton's The Perfect Play... Oh I could go on and on and on.. But I would have to say one of my all time fav heroes is from Heather and Brandon from Kathleen E Woodiwiss's The Flame and the Flower....And what about Shanna and Rourke.
Like I said I could go on and on...

Jane said...

One of my favorite grumpy heroes is Dain from Loretta Chase's "Lord of Scoundrels."

Estella said...

I don't have any favorites---I love them all.

bn100 said...

Great list of heroes.

bn100candg(at)hotmail(dot)com

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the book and great reviews whoo, greatvheroes,
Kimh

Kai said...

You listed some of my favorite authors. As heroes go, I move from one hero to the next. I just can't make up my mind on which one I like best.

kmccandle(at)yahoo(dot)com

flchen1 said...

You certainly aren't alone, HelenKay! I love those cranky alphas (maybe not so much in real life, but in a story? Irresistible!) For instance, Mason, in Ellen Connor's Nightfall... doesn't say much, but does his job like nobody's business :)