Monday, April 23, 2012

Q@A with Alexandria Infante!




Tell us about your newest release.

Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn;
Arieanna is a 7th grade history teacher. Being adopted at an early age Arieanna appreciates the value of family, even if she has no clue what her birth family is really like. Jenny and Harold are the only parents that she knows; and she’s just fine with that. Arie’s life right now seemed nearly complete. Her career was soaring, she had a family who adored her, and her students loved her. Life was simple and uncomplicated. That is until she met him. Unknown to Arieanna is the fact that Auron has been sent by a secret priesthood of St. Cisadore, and is actually there to protect her, the descendant of Ast’ at all cost.  Arieanna has no clue that a legend was foretold of a young woman being able to wield and use Ast`s infamous book of magick, and she certainly had no inkling that it would be her.
Auron’s number one objective is to keep that book from entering the hands of the wrong people, in spite of the fact that it might cause his own death. Auron knows that if that book gets to Jimmy Mann all hell will break lose. Centuries of war will then spill onto a human battle ground, and the Council will do whatever it takes to keep that from happening. The Council has a job to do and they don’t care about casualties, even if it means wiping out every last one of them; the Descendant, Lycans, Warlocks, Witches, Shape-shifters and Vampires alike!
The legend says that Arieanna alone holds the key to the location of Ast’s infamous book of magick; the only problem is, is that she doesn’t know it yet! This is to her disadvantage, because those who do know will kill her if they have to, to get their hands on the book and the power that Arieanna holds dormant. However, Arieanna is sidetracked, because she meets the love of her life in Auron a 475 year old werewolf who was banished from his Företag nearly 200 years earlier. Arieanna will invoke great power and only Auron can help her control it, in order to keep her from wiping out both paranormal, and humans alike. Chalk full of  Scottish Lycans, British Vampires, Welsh Warlocks, American Witches, and the legends of Ast’, Sekhmet, Mulkie, and Ast’s/Isis` supposed book of magick; Arie and Auron will find a love that will be tested by not just the supernatural, but the regular everyday relationship hang-ups!

Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

The fact that they go through so much together. I would say it’s when she finally realizes that he loves her for who she is, and not the fact that he was married to her aunt centuries ago.  I had a reviewer think that this concept was totally out there, and trashed it, but when I wrote this book I didn’t. Not to mention that he explains to Arieanna, as well as the reader that even thought they may favor each other, they are nothin alike.

Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?

I loved writing this book. My love for mythology sparked this series, and each book gets darker. I could say that I see myself in the character of Arieanna, and I thought why not make a book where regular everyday teachers fought against the things that go bump in the night. You always see the detective, ex-cop or private detective, but never the regular person minding their own business; so I thought it would be fun to throw a bunch of teachers and professors in the mix.
Arieanna holds my heart, because she was the first character concept that I came up with. I wanted to show that love has no genre, race, creed or species lol. I believe that the book is both sexy and romantic, because you can feel the intensity between Auron and Arieanna. The love is expressed, because Auron will do whatever he has to do to protect Arieanna, and vise versa. The first book is very tamed. I guess you develop as a writer, and so you try to outdo yourself each time, and I can honestly say that’s what I did. Each book in the series gets darker, more sensual, and the erotic element is played up even more.

How much research does there go into your stories?

A Lot lol. I want to be true to the myths that I’m using, so I check, and double check.  Teaching Between Midnight and Dawn is just the first in a series that I am doing. I have written 13 so far, but then wanted to go with a different concept for book 11. I came up with a new book 11, and made the previous book 11 book 12 lol. Each book in the series gets darker, more sensual, and features a new myth.
Whether its Spartacus and the Roman Games, Ancient Blackfoot Legends, the Japanese Sun Goddess, Gargoyles, Secret Church societies/ Tantric and Demons,  Three day Love Fest (PG version of the word lol) to the God Bacchus, and the Goddess Demeter; or the Keltic God Dagda.  However , they all center around the myths of Ast` (Isis), Osiris and Sekhmet.
I also have a Fae series, and they too are centered around the myths, only this time Keltic, Finnish and Scandinavian.

When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Oh man, it feels like forever. I wrote my first play at 15 or 16 lol, and it was coined after Shakespeare. Needless to say it was a true tragedy lol, but I loved it just the same because I wrote it. I’ve always loved to read and make up stories as a child, and if ever my mother was searching for me; all she needed to do was look under my bed or in the closet; and there I was either writing or with my nose stuck in a book. It only seemed natural that writing would come next.
Yet, we grow up and have to make sacrifices and choices that we sometimes don’t want, and the things that we really love get tossed to the backburner. I have had a very lucrative career as a Ex. Sou Chef (16 years), but decided that I didn’t want to do that for the rest of my life; and became a teacher (4 years now). It is because of the career change that I am finally able to do what I love. How I got started in the genre, I read a couple of authors, and thought man oh man could I do this; and I did lol.
Plus, I have been a vampire and werewolf freak since my teen years. I loved Forever Night (telling my age here lol) Interview with the Vampire, and Buffy. But what I loved most about each of these works was the Love that is either unrequited, implied, or put off all together because of circumstances. It all leads back to that Romantic Period’s “angst”. I wanted to be a part of that, because I am in love with the idea of love, and a romantic at heart.

What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I really don’t have one. At least not that I aware of lol.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That I’m actually good at it, and I’m able to convey the love that the characters have towards each other, because that’s very important for me to get across. True Love is colorblind, regardless if some people want to accept that or not.

What authors or friends influenced you in helping you to become a writer?

Oh wow, I wouldn’t necessarily say that I was influenced by one specific author, it was just something that I loved to do. And as for influence of friends, none lol. It would have to be my children. They always push me to be my best. I love the Paranormal, but I didn’t see myself reflected in the works that I read; and if I did it was a side character, a supporting character, or a villain; so I thought I’d write my own. Being multi-racial myself (Puerto Rican, Cuban, Native American, Irish and African-American) I wanted to see a character like me, and the fact that this is rare spurred me on.
Authors like me tend to get pigeon holed into one specific genre like Minority literature, Latina, African-American, or Ethnic, who hardly ever move out of that; and I think that this is completely unfair. I hoped by writing what I believe the genre should encompass, people would see the book for the story and negate the race of the character; that being, anyone could place themselves in the shoes of the character, not just someone of a minority background.
I'm sure I'm prejudiced by plenty of things though lol. I discover brainwaves in songs, movies, the world at large, or just simple phrases sometimes. I love to write at Starbucks, because the bustling people always inspire me. The nasty woman impatiently yelling at the Starbuck`s employee because she gave her a mocha coffee instead of a mocha latté becomes a villain, the Hugh Jackman look alike becomes the next wolf.
The sexy emo guy ordering the Eggnog latte` becomes the next Master of the city for my vamps, the hot blonde ordering the Tazo berry tea becomes the next warlock; and the tiny brunette might actually become the next main female character. I love to write at night, especially since I write paranormal. Rainy nights are good for scenes of action, but full moon nights always seem to give me the most creativity.  People in general instigate me to create something new. I base both my Paranormal and Fae series on mythology, so I am constantly inspired by a new myth, new legends, or new facts about lost artifacts; and I incorporate them into my books.

What does your family think about your career as a published author?
Oh they love it. My older children are college students, so they actually tell their friends to look for my books lol. I’m not sure I actually want them reading it lol, (they’re 25,23,21,) cuz I think there would be that “Oh my God mom, brain sear, I’m blinded by the horror”, and they run from the room screaming, because mom wrote this lol.

Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love searching out new myths, comic books and comi-con, searching for antiques, video games with my 15 year old, babies and monster trucks with my 9 year old, museums; but then it can be something as simple as going to the movies with my 15 year old to see the latest super hero fan fare. I have been in love with Superman since I was a young girl, lol. Could be why I’m obsessed with the black hair/ blue eyes thing lol. Darn you Christopher Reeves lol.

Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

My next book is called A Lad’s Trousers, and is due to be released in Aug of 2012.
Zalanthea is a runaway slave but not by choice. While emptying chamber pots she’s attacked by a Union Soldier, and in the process of defending herself she kills him accidentally. She knows that unless she flees she’ll be dead by morning, so she steals the town’s drunk’s clothes to disguise herself as a boy.
Thinking her a lad Mr. Wooldridge offers her a job onboard ship, because the boy looks as if he hasn't eaten in days. Zayla believes he’s the Captain and follows him aboard the large ship. She’s surprised when Wooldridge delivers her to the captain, and she realizes just why he’s been dubbed the name Stone. The piercing gray eyes say all that he doesn’t. Yet she can’t help but feel an instant attraction towards him.
Zayla takes to ship life, but is plagued by nightmares. In the midst of one of these nightmares Stone stumbles from his bed to wake the screaming boy. As he tries to comfort the crying boy he suddenly realizes that he is a she. Not only is Stone stunned, but now he’s embarrassed because in his haste to get to the boy he forgot his under things.

Excerpt;

Something woke Stone, but he knew not what. He listened intently, but there was nothing except the racing beat of his startled heart. He could hear the rock of the ship, and the crash of the waves; but nothing else. He picked up his timepiece, turned up the wick and looked for the time. It was near to three in the morning. Stone scratched his head, turned down the wick once again and lay back down in the bed.
As he lay there wondering what the hell that shrill noise had been, he bolted upright from the bed as he heard it again. He realized that it was Zach. In the process of jumping from the bed he stubbed his toe, then hobbled over to the cot to calm the boy’s screaming form.
“No sir! Please don’t! No!” Zach screamed, as he continued to kick and scream like a banshee.
“Zach! Zach!” Stone yelled but to no avail. Finally Stone grabbed him by the shoulders and began to shake him until his teeth rattled. His eyes flew opened and he buried his face in Stone’s chest sobbing.  Instinctively Stone grabbed him and held him to his chest stroking Zach’s back and hair.
“Shh…shh, it was just a nightmare and...” Stone’s quick intake of breath nearly choked him. He put the boy away from him then. He uttered a snort and stood to his feet. He walked to his bed, turned up the wick, stared, and then nearly pissed himself.  It was a young woman!  His mind screamed as he slapped his forehead.  How could he have not seen it before? The hat that she constantly wore lay on the bed, and a riot of dark brown curls hung down her back. She was frightened, and her large green eyes held unshed tears.
“Well I’ll be damned!” Stone muttered and sat down on his bunk taking a deep breath. He realized at that point that he was naked, and snatched the blanket over his lap wrapping himself in it. He rose from the bed and walked to where she was.
“How long were ye planning to play at being a boy?” Stone demanded calmly.



How can readers connect with you online?

Well my main site is www.poisonedpin.webs.com, and here you can check out the upcoming books, what I’m doing and what I’m all about. Readers can read the first couple of chapters of all 13 books there. I’m also @ poisonpin@blogspot.com, http://poisonedpin.livejournal.com/9252.htmlhttp://poisonedpin.xanga.com/weblog/,









No comments: