Monday, April 09, 2012

Q&A with Dana Marton!

1. Tell us about your newest release.


Agents Under Fire is a fast-paced novella trilogy filled with international intrigue. It stars out with a high-stakes chase on Venice's crumbling palace roofs and only gets more dangerous from there. It received the best reviews of any of my books, I think. I so love these 3 tough but tremendously honorable heroes. And luckily, readers seem to feel the same.



2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?


Probably the very first scene. Gabe Guardian thinks he's chasing a rogue soldier, the man his commando unit was charged with bringing in. But then he finds himself face-to-face with a woman from his past, and she challenges everything he believes in.


3. Is there a message in your book that you want readers to grasp?


Not to take everything at face value. But the book is not very heavy on the message. :-) Mostly it's just a frolicking good read.


4. If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?


Make the stories longer. I had a lot of reader email from people who wanted to know more about the characters and weren't ready to let them go at story's end. I think that's a good sign!


5. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?


In first grade. And I got right down to writing, too! But I didn't seriously attempt writing a full novel until many years later. And then it was just a matter of 13 or so more years and several completed books before I finally sold that first book. So if you want to know the shortcut to being an author, I'm definitely not the one to ask. I took the scenic route and then some.



6. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?


I'm not much of a plotter. I just start the book and let the characters take me where they want to go. Makes for some interesting/and scary/ times. I tend to "see" the beginning of the book in my head like a movie, then start asking questions and follow the action. I've been known to dream a whole plot, however, now and then. I always keep pen and paper on the nightstand.


7. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?


You have to cook poison ants for 6 minutes before they become edible. (I sincerely hope I'll never have to use this knowledge.)



8. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?


My favorite author, Susan Mallery, provides tremendous inspiration and the best advice, although we don't write in the same genre. I'd say my books were most influenced by Suzanne Brockmann's wonderful stories.


9. What does your family think about your career as a published author?


They cut me no slack as far as cooking dinner goes, that's for sure. LOL They're not very impressed, I'm afraid. The only true reader in my family is my sister. Everyone else prefers outdoorsy stuff. They have no idea what I'm doing inside with a book. And I have no idea what they find so fascinating in the woods. (If they're cooking ants, I don't want to know about it :-)



10. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?


I love painting and tennis, antique hunting, DIY projects around the house. And reading, reading, reading, of course.


11. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?


A whole new direction. I'm super excited about this and scared to death at the same time. My very first epic fantasy, THE THIRD SCROLL, is coming out on May 1st.


12. How can readers connect with you online?

Through my FB page www.facebook.com/danamarton . Please do come by and say hi. I'll be doing a lot of giveaways this month!


Thank you so much for having me!
Dana

Click here to read more about Agents Under Fire

1 comment:

Dana Marton said...

Thank you so much for having me as a guest! Hope everyone is having a wonderful start to their week. If you have any questions for me, just please post. I'll be checking in. Big day for me today. I'm starting a brand new book, an anthology with Julie Miller and Paula Graves. I'm also launching a new fun giveaway on my FB page. And designing a whole new web site to reflect that soon I'll be branching out to epic fantasy. But keeping romantic suspense! --Dana