Monday, April 16, 2012

Guest Blog: Gerry Bartlett

Note: Gerry is giving away copies of her book Real Vampires Hate Skinny Jeans to two lucky posters. The contest is only open to US mailing addresses. Post comments below and Gerry will stop by.

Learn more about Gerry and her books by visiting her website at: http://www.gerrybartlett.com/



Top Five Things Gerry Can’t Live Without

I’m not ashamed to admit I’m a creature of habit. And getting more stuck in my ways the older I get. I’ve been on a road trip recently and realized there are just some things I can’t function without. Here’s my list:

1) The Internet- If you’d told me this a few years ago, I wouldn’t have believed you, but I have to check my email. Often. It’s like my link to the world. And we stayed at a motel on this trip that had connection issues. My reaction was ugly. I was ready to hit the closest McDonald’s at midnight just to get my ‘Net fix. Of course part of it is my reliance on Facebook. I love the way people interact there. And miss it when I can’t answer queries.
2) Diet Dr. Pepper or Diet Coke. So I take a cooler with me on the road. And have to have my drink to wake up in the morning. No coffee for me. Ah, the first cold caffeinated drink in the morning. Yes, I’m weird that way.
3) Makeup- We travelled with a friend who actually LEFT THE MOTEL without any. Sorry, but no one sees me without full war paint on. Moisturizer, base, eyes, including liner, and blush. I can do my entire face in a quick five minutes and I’m ready to face the world. But not before. Maybe I’m fooling myself, but my mom taught me a lady never shows her naked face in public and I live that rule.
4) Comfy clothes. Now I like to shop and do it frequently. But whatever I wear has to not bind me at the waist. Yep, I can sneak in some elastic or spandex as long as my top hangs over the waistband. And I haven’t tucked since before my kid was born and he’s, well, an adult. I will suffer for beauty, but not for more than the two minutes it takes me to try on a pair of heels, walk around a store and then give them back to the clerk. Nope, I’m over that. Comfort is king.
5) Finally, I can’t live without my support system and I don’t mean that mega-underwear holding me in and up. I mean my fabulous friends and family who help me get through the tough times and celebrate the good ones. I’m lucky to be surrounded by special people who know when to listen and when to say the right thing. It’s a blessing I don’t take for granted.

Now how about you? What are some of the things you can’t live without? Share here and maybe you’ll win a copy of REAL VAMPIRES HATE SKINNY JEANS. I’d love to hear from you. Come on, don’t be shy. Obviously I’m not.


*****

Gerry's blog: http://gerrybartlett.wordpress.com/
Sign up for Gerry's newsletter: http://www.gerrybartlett.com/Newsletters.html
Gerry on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Gerry-Bartlett/654253765
Gerry on twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/gerrybartlett

11 comments:

Jane Myers Perrine said...

Eye brows. No one sees me without

CherylR said...

I agree with a lot on your list,with family being on top, particularly the grandkids. Nothing makes me smile like a hug from them.
I love makeup, hardly ever wear high heels and need the internet for my online scrabble games.
BUT, I must admit that I would be lost without books. I read all the time.

MelissaCC said...

1. my kids
2. my cell phone lol
3. my john deere sleep pants
4. a good ole paper back to read in the tub.

Anonymous said...

1. My family
2. Books
3. TV
4. Pizza
5. Sweets!!!!

-Lisa Geggie
lmgeggie@hotmail.com

Lori Gray said...

Hmmmm...what can't I live without? Well, I think family, friends and pets are a given. The hardest things I've had to learn to live without is my precious Mama and very recently our 11 y/o chihuahua, Taco. So I'm going for material things for my list.
1. Chocolate
2. Books...real books, I don't own an e-reader
3. Music
4. Lotions/moisturizers/lip balm
5. And like you...Comfy clothes and shoes...one of the best things about being a nurse is that scrubs are so comfy!
Thanks Gerry, this was fun!!!

Estella said...

Books!

Momof1DD said...

1. My family
2. My Hair straightener
3. Books!!!!
4. Cell phone.
5. Makeup now that I actually need to use it to cover up all the rosacea (red cheeks) age has give me. :(
6. A good cold pepsi. ;)

And the list goes on and on...

LSUReader said...

Love your list. I could have written the same thing, except where you have make-up, substitute chocolate for me!

Gerry said...

Love these lists! Keep them coming. I miss my mom too. Hugs on that.

Brendazview said...

1. My friends and family
2. COKE! I will give up food before my Coke!!!!
3. Coffee - Yep. I may starve but I'll never go thirsty!
4. Books. If I' m in a room without something to read it might as well have rubber walls!
5. Air conditioning - I was born hot natured, I'm perimenopausal, I have fibromyalgia (comes w/hot flashes) and own more than a few extra pounds! No A/C = Brenda in a clock tower!

Karen H in NC said...

I love your list and it pretty much matches mine.

1. comfy clothes
2. cooler full of diet coke and water. But I don't start drinking the cold pop until mid-morning. Gotta have my coffee first thing.
3. Yogurt and muffins for breakfast. I don't like to do the fast food breakfasts.
4. Books, lots of books.

BTW, I love the title of your book..sounds like a fun read!