Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Q&A with Lorraine Heath!

1. Tell us about your newest release.

It’s such a pleasure to be here and thank you so much for asking about SHE TEMPTS THE DUKE. It begins a new trilogy about three brothers who are targeted for murder when their father, the Duke of Keswick, dies in an accident. Their uncle wants to do away with them and inherit the dukedom. Their neighbor’s daughter, Mary, helps them to escape. The brothers, ages 10 and 14 (twins) decide to split up. One goes to the army, one to the sea, one to the streets. Twelve years later, they—three rough and hardened men—return to reclaim their heritage. But nothing they’ve endured during the years has prepared them for the women who can bring them to their knees.

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

That is a tough question—probably the scene in the garden when they first kiss. Sebastian has tried to continue to see Mary as the girl who had played with him as a lad but he’s finding it more difficult. It doesn’t help that he was terribly scarred during the war and doesn’t want to burden her with a beast for a husband. Mary is coming to realize that he has become quite the formidable man, but she is also able to see beneath his scars. The kiss, in modern terms, rocks their worlds.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve always thought of myself as a writer. When I was young, I kept a diary and wrote lengthy letters to any relative who provided me with an address. I just loved writing. To this day, I prefer to communicate with the written word rather than verbal ones.

4. Tell us a little about your daily writing routine. Are you a plotter or pantser?

Definitely a pantster. I usually have an idea of where the story is going but now how I’m going to get from the opening sentence to the closing one. It’s always a fun exploration. As for my daily writing routine, I write early in the morning, late at night, and often in between.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

That I like to write with storms playing in the background. I have a CD that plays a thunderstorm while I write. For some reason, it really gets me in the mood to tell a story.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

How much control the characters have over the story. I’m often surprised when I’m writing along and suddenly the hero sneaks in a kiss when I hadn’t planned on it happening until much later.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My sister, Theresa, was a big influence. I would send her a chapter, she’d read it, then call and ask me where the next chapter was.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They think it’s great. They’ve always been very supportive. My husband takes care of the house, food, cooking so I’m free to write. My sons would go to booksignings with me when they were younger. I am actually writing under the name J. A. London with my youngest son. Our first book, DARKNESS BEFORE DAWN, will be released in June 2012 from HarperTeen.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love spending the day at the spa, going to movies, reading romance. I enjoy traveling, although we haven’t done as much of that as we’d like.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Next up, in October, will be LORD OF TEMPTATION, which is the 2nd brother’s story. He’s a ship captain and while he knows he should move back into Society, he’s just not quite comfortable there—but not being in Society makes it more difficult to have what he most wants: Lady Anne.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

Readers have lots of options. They can visit my website at http://www.lorraineheath.com or visit my Facebook fanpage at http://facebook.com/lorraineheathbooks  or see me at twitter @Lorraine_Heath

SHE TEMPTS THE DUKE is very much a Beauty and the Beast sort of tale. What is your favorite plotline?



Questions for Lorraine? Ask away!
You will be entered in a drawing for a prize from Lorraine.
USA mailing addresses only.

16 comments:

Laurie G said...

I do enjoy the beauty and the beast theme. However, my all time favorite is the marriage of convenience. The wife is ditched, left to her own devices, she discovers her own identity and strenghts. She embarks on her own. She sets the ton and her husband's world upside down.

I recently read your Devil/Pleasure series with rookery friends: Luke, Jim, Jack and Frannie finding their HEA. I'm still waiting to read Will's story. I enjoy your books!

CrystalGB said...

Hi Lorraine. I love your writing. She Tempts the Duke sounds great. I love beauty and beast stories.

Maureen said...

Beauty and the Beast is a favorite of mine along with the marriage of convenience plot.

flchen1 said...

Beauty and the Beast is a favorite, but friends-to-lovers or plain-Jane-wins-the-hero probably top my list :) Very much looking forward to this series, Lorraine! Do you celebrate your releases in any special way? New bling? Framed coverflats? Dinner out? :)

Lorraine said...

Laurie: I love marriage of convenience stories as well. I'm so glad you enjoyed the Scoundrels of St. James series. I do have to give some thought to William Graves' story.

Crystal: Thank you for being a fan of my writing. I hope you'll enjoy this story.

Maureen: Marriage of convenience is always fun.

Flchen: SHE TEMPTS THE DUKE also has a friends-to-lovers thread. As for how I celebrate my releases: I always go to the bookstore and purchase a copy of my book. There is just something about seeing it on the bookshelf and taking it to the counter and buying it.

I have two announcements to share. For a limited time, my book A DUKE OF HER OWN is specially priced at $1.99 for the electronic version.

Once again, some of your favorite Avon Authors have banded together for a Valentine's Day celebration, where we reveal our favorite foods to inspire romance. Travel from author to author, discovering amazing "sites", seeing what's new for your Valentine's reading pleasure and, (most importantly!) collecting a treasure trove of the most scrumptious recipes you'll ever find. Start the Avon Authors' Valentine's Recipe ring journey at http://www.lorraineheath.com/recipe.htm

cheryl c said...

I really enjoy the Beauty and the Beast theme. I also like marriage of convenience, enemies to lovers, different worlds, and so many others!

This whole series sounds great!

castings at mindspring dot com

LSUReader said...

I like the back story you've given us. It sounds like a wonderful trilogy.

Beauty and the beast stories are my favorites of the fairy tale themes. I'm also fond of the friends to lovers plotline.

Thanks for visiting. Congrats on the new release.

Kim said...

I picked up Waking Up With the Duke and really enjoyed it. It was my first Lorraine Heath novel. I'm looking forward to reading the new one as well. Of all the books on your backlist, is there one in particular that I should read? Do you have a favorite that you always recommend starting with?

penfield716(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Lorraine said...

Kim: You're asking me to pick one of my children. :)

IN BED WITH THE DEVIL is the 1st book in the Scoundrels of St. James series. I would probably recommend it because it was nominated for RWA's RITA award.

Martha Lawson said...

This sounds like a great series! I love a beauty and the beast story. I'd love to be entered to win. Thanks.

StacieD said...

Hello Lorraine! I think it's cool you write to the sound of thunderstorms. I can't concentrate if it is too quiet. Having white noise in the background helps.

geishasmom73 AT yahoo DOT com

flchen1 said...

Ooh, that's a fine way to celebrate! Do you have a special shelf for your releases? :)

Thanks for the good news, Lorraine!

Mariee said...

My favorite themes are enemies to lovers and beauty and the beast.

marieimy (at) gmail (dot) com

Lorraine said...

Thank you all for visiting with today. I've really enjoyed it!

Pam P said...

Another fan of beauty and beast theme, and your books, Lorraine. Loved the last series and definiteliy looking forward to the new one.

Mo Boylan said...

Lorraine, I love Beauty and the Beast themes. Also bride of convenience. I am amazed how authors take a fairy tale and put their own spin on it. Keep writing!