Thursday, June 09, 2011

Q&A with Adrienne Davenport!



1. Tell us about your newest release.

My current release, Dishonorable Intentions, is a historical romance set in Great Britain in the late 1800s. The heroine, Jezebel, is a beautiful Scottish countess who wants nothing more than to take care of her home and the aging servants who are her only family. To accomplish this, she disguises herself as her dead brother, rarely entering society.

The ruse seems to work until one day, while riding, she meets Aiden Darlington the darkly handsome Duke of Thistledowne. Aiden, immediately attracted to the fiery beauty, is determined to have her for his wife- no matter what.

When Aiden discovers his life is being threatened, Jezebel quickly becomes the prime suspect. Wary of each other’s motives, neither Jezebel nor Aiden dares to acknowledge the love that is growing between them. Even as they fight to resist its force however, they can’t deny its existence or the knowledge that it is that bond which could ultimately be their only salvation. If only they can find the courage to reach for it.


2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

I’d have to say the scene where Aiden enters his study expecting an assassin and instead finds Jezebel waiting for him. He has his knife raised about to strike when he rounds the tall chair and sees her. Aiden and Jezebel intend to only discuss their situation but the atmosphere is tense and each party is barely keeping their emotions under control. When Jezebel continues to rebel against Aiden, the Duke, unable to take it any longer, loses his temper and pulling Jezebel to him, kisses her deeply and demands to know why she opposes their marriage.

I enjoy this scene because it shows the characters at the height of their emotions and the entire scene has a really charged tone to it.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve wanted to be a writer since at least fifth grade. In high school I was always writing poetry on the back of my assignments. Poetry always came easy, but I dreamed of writing a full novel. I never felt like I had a good enough idea. With Dishonorable Intentions I felt like I finally found the idea I was looking for. From there on out, it was just a matter of finishing it.

4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

I’ve been reading all genres of romance since I was in middle school, so when I started writing I already had a little bit of a background. I do, however, do a lot of research. Whether it is a historical or contemporary I like my ideas to be realistic so I make sure I have my facts straight. My ideas usually start with a character and a loose theme. Over time (and many nightly cups of tea) those characters and themes evolve into full storylines.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

Probably the way my stories develop. I start out determined to create characters and settings that work well with each other for one book. By the time I’m done however, I’ve often decided that characters, ideas, etc. go better with a new book or a book in the works then with the one they were originally meant for.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

In my case, it wasn’t any one fact, it was a conglomerate. In the book I’m currently working on, Stranger by Morning, the characters travel around the world. In the process of deciding where I wanted them to travel and exactly why I wanted them there, I have looked at the landmarks from many different countries. Just getting to explore all those landmarks (via internet of course) has been really neat.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I am lucky to have a lot of friends who have been there to support me but the few who stand out are my son, dad, and best friends Stevie and Nicole. They have been around since day. I also have two friends, Lea and Cherie, who have helped me get my footing in the writing world and have helped me learn how it all works. That help, I can’t say it enough, has been invaluable. Without these guys I would have probably gone crazy by now trying to learn everything.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They support me on it and they think it’s really cool that I am getting to live my dream of being an author.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Usually when I’m not writing I’m spending time with my son, Julian. When I’m not doing that, I’m outside either doing yard work or bike riding. Ever since I was little bike riding has been my way of distressing. It also helps that I live in Moab, Utah which is the perfect place to do it.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

As I mentioned earlier, I’m working on a book called Stranger by Morning. It’s a contemporary romance about a businessman turned thief named Christian St. Lorriane who is tracking the person who murdered his mom and sister. He ends up enlisting the help of Reese Donavon, the reporter who is tracking him, only to find out she is his childhood sweetheart. When the murderer looks to Reese as his next target the stakes rise for Chris and finding the villain is no longer just about vengeance.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

You can check out what’s new at:

You can also look me up on any of my blogs, all of which I have links to on the page listed above.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or just want to say hi. I love hearing from readers and will try my best to reply to your emails as quickly as possible.

I'm glad to help you out. :)

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Hi Adrienna! I love reading historical romances and this sounds so fab!! Will you be doing more historical romances related to this one? What was the last historical romance you got to read for yourself? I know authors don't get much time to read when they write, so I hope you do! Again a joy to meet you!

Adrienne Davenport said...

Caffey,
It's wonderful to meet you, thanks so much for the compliment! If you are interested, you can find Dishonorable Intentions at Amazon.com as well as Eternalpress.biz. Right now it is only available in ebook format but soon it will be available through Amazon.com in paperback as well. To answer your questions, at least four of the books I have lined up are related to this one. They all circle around Aiden and Jezebel's friends or relatives. I'm really looking forward to writing them but first I have a contemporary that needs finishing, Stranger by Morning. The last historical I read was November of the Heart by Lavyrle Spencer. It is one of my all time favorites but I lost my copy awhile back and barely found a new one. As for actually finding the time, :) I read late at night after my son goes to bed. That's my winding down time. If you have any other questions feel free to email me at adrienne_davenport@hotmail.com and I will get back to you asap. Thanks again for your interest.
Take care!
Adrienne Davenport