Thursday, June 23, 2011

Q&A with Abbi Glines!



1. Tell us about your newest release.

Breathe is about a young girl, who hasn’t been handed an easy path in life, finding herself immersed in the private world of America’s favorite teenage rock star. Sadie has a pregnant irresponsible single mom who relies on her to fix all their problems. Jax Stone is the golden boy of the music industry who has escaped for the summer to the coastal southern town of Sea Breeze, Alabama. Jax knows Sadie will never fit into the life he leads but he can’t seem to stay away from her. When his fame splashes their “summer fling” all over the media, Jax leaves in hopes of saving Sadie from the harsh spotlight. Broken hearted Sadie’s life spirals out of control. However, she holds the rock star’s heart in her hands and he soon realizes without Sadie he can’t breathe,

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

After weeks of watching Sadie from afar and trying to stay out of her life Jax’s control snaps. He sees an opening to spend some time with her and takes it. While taking her grocery shopping “in disguise” a little girl recognizes him. When the girl’s mother apologizes for her daughter starring and explaining that her daughter is convinced he is Jax Stone, Jax bends down and whispers to her that she is right. The rest of the scene actually makes me a little weepy when I read it, even though I wrote it.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

Hard question....um....gosh...I guess I’ve been writing stories in notebooks since I learned to spell. Even as young as eight I was telling everyone I wanted to be a writer.

4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

Breathe is set in a “fictional” town patterned after the actual city of Orange Beach, AL and Ono Island. Basically I wrote what I knew. My next novel, Existence, is a paranormal YA romance and only very little research was needed. However, I did necessary research online. The book I am currently working on is requiring extensive research. I’ve interviewed people, gone to the city and area the book is based in and studied the culture. I have also spent a lot of time reading up on the culture online.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

My need to suck on Twizzlers while writing.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

That my characters can take over the story. For example, I had Existence all mapped out before I started it. Then when I got going, one of the main characters completely changed the whole idea and twisted everything around. Who knew characters in my head could have a mind of their own!

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

My mom. She isn’t a writer but an avid reader. She has been reading my manuscripts all my life. Even when she didn’t like what I had written she kept encouraging me to keep at it. Even when I wanted to give up she wouldn’t let me.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My husband is super supportive (however, he is believing for a best seller so he can go buy some stupid fishing boat he has had his eyes on for awhile). My kids love telling people their mom wrote a book. My mother tells anyone who will stand still long enough.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I read. I mean I seriously read. I should own stock in Barnes & Noble. I’m also slightly obsessed with Disney World. If I don’t get there at least once a year I get ornery. My three kids, my husband and I spend a good deal of time in water. Paddle boarding and boating happen to be our favorite past times.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Existence will be released by Wild Child Publishing sometime in 2012 is my guess. I don’t have a release date yet. Existence is about a girl whose time is up and when Death comes to take her he can’t seem to do it. Before she even realizes what is happening Death is breaking the rules and falling in love.

Right now I am working on something that is requiring a good bit of research into the swamps of Louisiana and Voodoo.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

I am a Twitter junkie: @Abbiglines

I also blog frequently: http://www.abbiglines.com/

2 comments:

Terri Talley Venters said...

I enjoyed reading your interview. We have alot in common. My mother is my biggest fan & my kids love telling people I wrote a book. Only I have my eye on a boat while my hubby wants a pub =)Congrats on your new release, Abbi!

Abbi Glines said...

My husband would love you! He has a boat obsession. He gets one and always wants a bigger better one. Glad you liked the interview. It's always fun to hear other authors have similar situations.
Thanks =)