Thursday, May 05, 2011

Q&A with Carol Cassada!


1. Tell us about your newest release.

Westmore is the first in the series, it a romance novel with a soap opera appeal. The novel revolves around three families; The Greens, The Braxtons, and The Reynolds.
The Greens are a lower class family, the matriarch is Charlotte who's getting back into the dating scene following the death of her husband Michael, when she thinks all hope is lost a handsome detective by the name of Jim Bryant comes to her rescue. Peter is the youngest of the Green children who returns home after a long absence with his new girl whose ten years older than him and causes worry for his mother. Scott and Alicia are singing siblings who are trying to make it to the big top, but their plans maybe derailed.
The Braxtons consist of publishing tycoon Andrew Braxton who is a controlling and manipulative man, wife Elizabeth fed up with his behavior decides to end their twenty-five year marriage. Meanwhile son Wayne is looking to break free from the family business, yet his father sets in motion a diabolical plan which causes pain for his family, but other citizens.
Jeff Braxton and his wife Marie face trouble in their marriage after their only daughter leaves home. Marie upset they never had more children, blames his family for costing her a second child, this startling revealation could spell the end for their marriage.
The Reynolds consists of widower Stan whose life is turned upside down when son Jacob begins dating rocker Alicia Green. Plus Stan's daughter and granddaughter Laura and Megan move home after Laura's divorce. Just when things are getting back to normal for Laura, her ex shows up unexpectedly.
Towards the end of the novel an accident occurs which affects the lives of everyone.


2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

One of the most powerful scenes in the story is when Marie who secretly blames her late father-in-law Clayton for costing her a second child and has been holding all the pint up emotions inside of her for so long, unleashes her wrath. She takes a framed picture of him and destroys it, smashing the glass and stomping on the photo, readers feel her pain. After the destruction a great relief encompasses her, it's like she gets a good feeling destroying something of her father-in-law, in a way she's paying him back for all the misery he caused her.



3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

It wasn't until my teen years when I became interested in writing. I took creative writing classes in high school and then in college, one of the reasons I loved writing is because it was relaxing. I'm the type of person who easily gets stressed and writing helped me relieve my tension. By the time I graduated high school I realized I wanted to be a writer. At first I was gonna go into the journalism field and be a reporter, then I decided I wanted to write books for a living. After I graduated from Old Dominion University in 2008 I began writing my first book Going Home Again which was released by Romance Divine in February 2010.


4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

For Westmore I watched a lot of soaps, I've been a soap opera fanatic for many years. In fact I started writing the ideas for Westmore when I was about fifteen, I originally wanted to be a writer for soap operas and have my ideas put into a show, but I knew it'd be too far fetched. Throughout the years I kept writing new ideas, changing titles, and renaming characters. Then one day an idea popped into my head, why not take my ideas and turn Westmore into a book series, so in July of 2010 I began working on it.


5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

As far as my writing ritual goes, I've got to have privacy, if there are people around and they're distracting me, then I can't get any work done. I also like to listen to music, especially rock tunes it helps get my creative flow going.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

It's a lot of hard work. This time around I chose to go the self-publishing route by using Createspace. I had to do all the work, besides editing the manuscript, there's creating a cover, setting up the sales channel, and most important promoting the book. Sure it's a tough, but if you're serious about writing, then you need to commit yourself to every aspect of the business.


7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I can't think of an author who really influenced me, I just decided I was gonna be a writer and followed through with my dream.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They're proud of me and have been very supportive, especially my mom, she's the one who encouraged me to follow my dream of writing. There were times when I thought about giving up and she was on my case about continuing with my writing. Aside from supporting me she's been very helpful in the promotion, she brags to all her friends about me. I couldn't have done any of this without her.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

Aside from writing, I love to read mostly paranormal, supernatural, and folklore books. Spending time with my family, which includes going out to dinner, to the movies, or shopping. But there's nothing I love more than playing with my three dogs and two cats.


10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I'm currently working on the sequel to Westmore, which deals with the aftermath of the accident and the repercussions people face. I hope to have it out by the end of the year. Aside from the sequel I occassionally do freelance work.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

They can visit my website http://www.carolcassada.net/


No comments: