Friday, April 15, 2011

Susan Wiggs discusses writing to music and The Goodbye Quilt

For me, every book has a soundtrack. Here’s the one I listened to a lot while writing The Goodbye Quilt. http://c.itunes.apple.com/us/imix/the-goodbye-quilt/id430141104  ...and that’s just the beginning!
Music has always been a big part of my life. My mom used to serenade us on the piano every night at bedtime, with everything from Brahm’s lullabye to "Here We Go Loo-Be-Loo." I took cello lessons forever and played in orchestras all through college.

When I write, I try to pick songs that "feel" like the characters and the book I’m working on. The Goodbye Quilt is such a deeply emotional story, but it’s also a road trip book. So there are fun songs ("Holiday Road" anyone?) and quieter ones, too. To celebrate the publication of this book, I’ve set some images to a great song by Alice Peacock. You can check it out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iFrBbydBAo
And a reminder: We’re giving away a $500 travel certificate to one lucky reader, to bring your college kid home, or to go wherever you want! Be sure to enter before the April 10 deadline here: http://www.susanwiggs.com/contests.shtml


What do you love to listen to when you’re on the road? I would love to hear your own road trip picks!

2 comments:

Kathleen O said...

I listen to a lot of differnt music from all differnt eras. I lov the 40's, 50's and 60's, but I also listen to country and some classical... I just like what I like..

Laurie G said...

I listen to Eric Clapton from Layla with Derick & the Dominoes to Cream's White Room and Badge to his stint in Blind Faith with Can't Find My Way Home. I also listen to a lot of Oldies: John Denver, Bad Company, Bon Jovi, The Beatles, Pearl Jam, Santa Esmerelda and Leo Kottke.