Thursday, April 14, 2011

Susan Mallery, author of ALREADY HOME, on the Different Facets of Love...

Susan Mallery has entertained millions of readers with her witty and emotional stories of women and the relationships that move them. In her latest novel, ALREADY HOME, Jenna Stevens, still reeling from a recent divorce, is unpleasantly surprised by the arrival of her birth parents, who seem to want her to feel a family bond immediately. She was perfectly happy with the loving, traditional parents who raised her. Can she learn to love a second mother without damaging her relationship with the woman who raised her? Join Susan’s Members Only area at www.susanmallery.com for exclusive sneak peeks, short stories, and more.



Think of all the loves in your life. If you’re lucky, romantic love is a part of that picture. If you’re even luckier, it’s just a part. Throughout my career, I’ve become known for writing romance novels that make women sigh, and that make women laugh. I’ve been gratified to see my books go as high as #5 on the New York Times bestsellers list, and Booklist has put me on three of their annual Top 10 lists.

I love writing about romantic love, but I’m excited that I now have the opportunity to explore different types of love stories in women’s fiction novels such as this month’s ALREADY HOME. Because that’s what ALREADY HOME is, at heart – a love story. But it’s about the love between a woman and her two mothers.

After a painful divorce, my heroine, Jenna returns home to be comforted by her mother. She gets more mothering than she bargained for when her birth mom shows up unexpectedly and insists on being a part of Jenna’s life.

Of course, things don’t go smoothly. That wouldn’t be any fun! What makes writing – and reading – so much fun is that love always comes with conflict. (Let me rephrase that – in real life, love almost always comes with conflict. In compelling fiction, it always does.) As a writer, I torture people for a living. And my readers love it!

I don’t think I’ll ever stop writing romance. I love it too much. The first heated look, heavy with meaning and desire. The first kiss. The first time the heroine realizes that she would give anything for the chance to spend her life with the man who’s been driving her crazy. Even in my women’s fiction, I can’t resist including a few of those delicious moments. Jenna’s love interest is pretty fabulous. And there’s also a fun dynamic happening between Jenna’s newly found brother and the assistant manager at her store.

Tell me about the loves in your life, romantic and otherwise. Who are the people who mean the most to you?

11 comments:

amy kennedy said...

When I start to think of the loves of my life I become overwhelmed. I realize how blessed I am. Didn't meen to get all verklempt.

My family is like a big island for me -- I can go to them for anything. And that goes from my mom and husband to my nephew's wife.

But I also have so many other loves, brief though they are -- a favorite patron at the library, or seeing a baby smile.

I'm going to stop, bec ause, normally I'm not this sappy!

Amelia James said...

I adopted my daughter in June 2010. She's my angel. I couldn't love her more if she was my biological child. I didn't know I could love like that until I brought her home.

Kathleen O said...

I was not blessed with kids of my own, but I have lots and lots of nieces and nephews who are all the loves of my life.. Each time I hear "Aunt Kathleen, or Auntie Kathleen" I feel like a millionaire...

SusanMallery said...

Amy, don't apologize! I loved your comment. Sounds like you are a lucky woman, blessed with a loving family. I really enjoyed what you said about the fleeting moments of love we feel for strangers, especially babies. That's so true.

SusanMallery said...

Amelia, since ALREADY HOME came out, I've heard from a lot of people who either were adopted or who adopted a child, and the stories are incredibly heartwarming. There's a lot of love in the world. I'll be very interested to hear your reaction to ALREADY HOME. I hope you'll write to me via my website after you read the book.

SusanMallery said...

Kathleen, that's so sweet! Those kids are lucky to have you as an aunt. Much love!

Julie said...

The love of my life is my husband, Eric. We've been married almost eighteen years. In those eighteen years, there has been plenty of conflict. (It's hard to live in a house with another adult.) There has also been the very real fact that love grows.

My husband knows my every fault, and loves me anyway. Some of the stuff he does drives me insane as well, but I love him anyway. It's good that things work out that way.

I feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

SusanMallery said...

Julie, you brought tears to my eyes. Your comment is proof that love exists, and it can last forever! I know soooooo many people who are happily married and have been for years. There is something truly wonderful about having a partner for life. Give Eric a big kiss.

Brandimhoenig said...

My husband is the absolute love of my life. We both were married before which made it interesting because when we met and connected we both realized that we didn't know anything the first time around. We actually met online and not through a dating site. Everyone around us said we wouldn't make it, but I'm very happy to say they were absolutely wrong. We've been together for 10 years, 6 of them married, I have my daughters, and he has his daughter. We've all bonded as a family really well. The best part is he's my best friend. We talk numerous times a day, finish each others sentences, hate being separated, and can we each know what the other is thinking most of the time. I think we're going to be that couple that when one of us passes the other is going to pass of a broken heart. He's everything to me and I can't imagine going through the ups and downs of life with anyone else!

SusanMallery said...

Brandi, that's so sweet! Congratulations on your happy marriage! I do believe that divorce, while painful, is sometimes necessary so that we're free to meet the right person. How sad to go through life with the wrong person.

SusanMallery said...

Thank you so much for hosting me here today! I had a lot of fun!!!