Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Q&A with Jennifer Labelle!



1. Tell us about your newest release.


Meant To Be is an emotional story about love, loss, and new beginnings.

Jenna Baker is shaken after her recovery with a near death experience. As if being haunted with visions and losing her husband in a car accident weren’t hard enough. She finally moves on to meet the man of her dreams, only to have the husband she thought was dead suddenly reappear.

Meant To Be’s release was on February 16, 2011. Check out http://www.secretcravingspublishing/  to get your copy or http://www.jenniferlabelle.com/ for a longer blurb, and a brief excerpt.

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

My favorite would be hard to narrow down, since there are so many of them. Let’s see, if I had to narrow it down to one, it would probably be when Jenna experiences a moment of déjà view. She awakens in the hospital again and feels like she’s already lived this chapter in her life. The first time was to hear the devastating news that her husband Tyler hadn’t survived their car accident, only this time she’s astonished to learn that he’s in fact alive and well. It takes some time to convince her that she’s not seeing his ghost. She’s confused, angry and yet amazed all at once, with a ton of questions that need answers. Like, where has he been all of this time? And, What’s happened to her?

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I’ve been actively reading and writing since high school, but it wasn’t until my last child, and only daughter was born that I decided to peruse it professionally. I became a stay at home mom then and had more time to actually sit down to write a novel. Before then I stuck with short stories and attempted poetry.

4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

My research comes from the internet or the library. For instance, a portion of the book takes place in Ireland and since I’ve never had the luxury of visiting it in person, I had to get my information from books, travel brochures and stuff I found on my laptop. **Sigh** I hope to one day indulge myself. Ireland is a beautiful place and I’d love to travel there one day. Otherwise my idea’s come from life experience. The things I’ve lived through or fantasized about. Meant To Be actually started off with a dream that I had, and couldn’t forget. I just added to it.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

I don’t really think that I have a specific quirk when it comes to my writing. I’ve listened to specific songs to get me motivated sometimes. For instance, I’m currently working on a Contemporary Romance that’s based on a true story, and have been listening to a lot of Nickelback. It helps that I really like the band though. I also do an outline to every story that I write before starting anything else. I liked to be organized and I find it easier in the long run that way.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

It surprises me how well it flows together on its own. I love how the characters come to life, creating unsuspecting plot twists and turns throughout, and the originality of the finished project. I still shock myself sometimes, almost as if in disbelief, that I actually created something so amazing to me. I really hope you all enjoy Meant To Be as much as I have.

7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

I don’t really think that anyone influenced me to become a writer. Reading and writing is just something that I’ve always loved to do. I’ve had a lot of support along the way from friends and family. My husband was very patient with me and helped distract the kids so that I could get a few extra hours in here and there to finish it. My sister of course for being my guppy, I’d get her to read the stuff I wrote before I sent it out, and my three children who are my inspiration for everything. I strive to succeed for them, to love them and provide for them. I’ve been very blessed.

8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

They’re very proud, gloating, and faithfully spreading the word with me. My nine year old has already told all of his friends and teachers. My two youngest are ages four and two, and they seem to be in awe every time they see the cover with “Yay, it’s mommy’s book” cheers. Considering their ages I find it very cute. My always supportive husband has shown my website and book cover to everyone he works with. My sister, mother in law and friends are also sharing as much as they can with everyone that they know. I’ve had a lot of support throughout.

9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

My life is quite simple. Besides my writing, my life is all about my husband and children. One day I’d like to travel. Once a month I try and get a girls night out with friends, leaving the hubby and kids to fend for themselves. Besides that I like to read, it helps me relax and allows me to live vicariously through the characters that others create....LOL.

10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

Nothing as exciting as another release.... yet, but I have several WIP’s. I’m currently working on another Contemporary Romance that was based on a true story. Fingers crossed, that I’ll be ready to submit shortly.

11. How can readers connect with you online?

There is my website: http://www.jenniferlabelle.com/

My publisher’s site: http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/

You can find me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jennifer-Labelles-Meant-to-be/168414043184292

You could follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/1JenniferLabell

And of course there is my email: 1jenniferlabelle@gmail.com

3 comments:

DarleneLF said...

Great interview Jennifer!

Jennifer Labelle said...

Thank you Darlene!

Caffey said...

Hi Jennifer! I did hear about your book watching for the releases that were coming with SCP before it came out! I can't write a thing but even if I could, I don't know how I could give up so much reading to be able to write. Do you set aside time for you so that you get to get some enjoyable reading done too?

Great reading this all! A busy woman you are!