Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Q&A with Lucy Felthouse!




1. Tell us about your newest release.


My latest release, Uniform Behaviour, is particularly exciting because it’s the first anthology I’ve edited. It’s an erotic uniform anthology, containing sixteen stories from fourteen authors. The uniforms in question range from soldiers and sailors through to cleaners and waiters! A percentage of the proceeds also goes to Help for Heroes, a UK charity aiding those who have been wounded in current conflict.


2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?


My story in Uniform Behaviour is called Just Couldn’t Wait and features a journalist who catches sight of a handsome waiter at a dull press party. Let’s just say things don’t stay dull for long! As it’s only a short tale in itself I don’t want to give too much away, you’ll just have to read it and find out what happens!



3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?



I don’t think there was ever a moment of realisation. Even as a child I was always writing stories and when I wasn’t doing that, I had my nose in a book. So I think it’s something that’s always been there. It’s only since I got older that I realised I was actually good at it and wanted to pursue it.


4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?


Anywhere and everywhere! Sometimes it’s a situation, sometimes a person, sometimes an item. Other times I’m thinking of a theme for a particular call for submissions, and thinking of the topic itself will give me an idea. I always have a notebook to hand to scribble down my ideas.


5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?


I’m not sure I really have one. I don’t write anywhere unusual or using a particular pen or anything. Sometimes I write directly to my laptop, other times in a notebook. It depends on my mood. Sorry I couldn’t give a more interesting answer to that question!




6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?



When I was editing Uniform Behaviour, I realised that I’m not as good a proof-reader as I thought! I’m pretty good, but having had a professional look over it, there were small things that I missed. I definitely need to brush up on my hyphen usage!




7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?


As I mentioned in an earlier question, I’ve always been a writer. With regards my route to becoming a published author, I guess the person that helped me the most was the one that suggested I should have a go at writing an erotic story. Turned out I was pretty good at it and I’ve never looked back since!



8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?



Many of them don’t know! They know I write, but none of them are big readers and don’t show much interest. I’m sure they think it’s some silly little hobby. My friends are a completely different matter...



9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?



I’m pretty geeky – I like messing around online on Twitter and Facebook. I also create websites for people. Away from the computer, I enjoy reading, walking and visiting stately homes and historical places of interest.



10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?


I’m currently working on several stories for various calls for submissions. But there’s an idea for a longer piece bubbling away in the back of my mind, and I think the time is right for it to come forward. I have some stories coming out in a couple of anthologies from Cleis Press and Ravenous Romance. And of course, I’m always checking my inbox in the hope there’ll be another acceptance email.



11. How can readers connect with you online?



Readers can hit my website, http://lucyfelthouse.co.uk/ . From there, they can learn more about me and my writing, see a list of where I’ve been published and connect with me via email, Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads and more! I look forward to making some new friends!

1 comment:

Indigo Skye said...

Yay! Thanks for sharing your inspiration with readers today!
-Indigo Skye