Friday, December 17, 2010

Q&A with Cara Marsi!!!


1. Tell us about your newest release.

In "Murder, Mi Amore," Lexie Cortese's Roman holiday turns deadly when she's mistakenly slipped a stolen blue diamond. Lexie is in Rome to forget her ex-fiance's hurtful betrayal, but she's suddenly thrust into a world of terrorists, murder, and kidnapping. Pursued throughout Rome by people who will kill to retrieve the diamond, Lexie doesn't know what to believe or who to trust. She's befriended by a mysterious, handsome Italian, Dominic Brioni. Can Lexie trust Dominic, or is he involved with the people who want to kill her? Dominic has one job-befriend the American and bring her to justice. His superiors at Interpol believe Lexie is involved with international jewel thieves and terrorists. Only she's the most unlikely terrorist Dominic's ever met. Will Lexie and Dominic learn to trust their hearts before they are both killed?

2. Can you tell us a little about your favorite scene in the story?

Dominic is injured when he and Lexie fight off someone trying to abduct her. Because of his minor injuries, Lexie insists Dominic stay with her.They spend the night in her hotel room, and when they wake up the next morning, they make love. This is where they both decide to trust each other, but Dominic learns something soon after that makes him wonder if his trust in her is misplaced.

3. When did you first realize you wanted to be a writer?

I've always loved to read. As a teen, I read the Judy Bolton mysteries by Margaret Sutton and the YA novels of Elizabeth Howard. That's when I knew I wanted to be just like those authors.

4. Where do you get your information or ideas for your stories?

Sometimes I'll see something in the news or read an interesting article and I think, "what if." Also, when I travel I get ideas from my surroundings. I set "Murder, Mi Amore," in Rome, where my husband I visited in 2006. There's a chapter set in the small town in Abruzzo where my grandparents came from. We visited Abruzzo on that trip and I incorporated real sights in the town into my story. I based Lexie's hotel on the one we stayed at on the Via Corsi in Rome. It was a short walk from the hotel to Trevi Fountain, where Lexie and Dominic meet. Lexie's from Las Vegas, and the book ends in Las Vegas. My son lives there and I recently visited. I wanted to tie in the real Trevi Fountain in Rome to the fake one at Caesar's Palace in Vegas.

5. What would you say is your interesting writing quirk?

When I'm stumped on a scene, I get up and walk around my house. I walk and walk and think about the scene and I don't stop until I figure out what I need to make the scene work.

6. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?

What a hard job writing is and that I fall madly in love with my all my heroes.


7. What authors or friends influenced you in helping you become a writer?

Too many to list. My critique partners, past and present; the successful authors who took the time to help a new writer; my sister; the many friends I've made through RWA.


8. What does your family think about your career as a published author?

My husband is very non-supportive and I don't discuss my writing with him, although he did help me with my video trailer.He doesn't read books and can't understand my love of books and of writing. My son who is grown has never read my books, but he tells all his friends his mother is an author. My sister and cousins and aunts are very proud of me and support me in everything I do.


9. Besides writing, what other interests do you have?

I love to travel, to read, watch TV. I walk two miles a day and I recently signed up with a personal trainer to help with upper body strengthening. I'm also a news junkie. And I love going to conferences with my writer friends. I've met so many friends through RWA.


10. Can you tell us about what’s coming up next for you writing wise?

I write short stories for the confession magazines, True Romance, True Love, True Experience. I love writing these stories. I have numerous stories with them and I intend to keep writing my shorts while I also write novels. I'm working on another story with an Italian hero and the American woman he loves. I've completed a werewolf paranormal about a sexy werewolf and the woman who is sent to kill him.

***

Learn more about Cara by clicking here to her website

16 comments:

Cara Marsi said...

Thank you for having me today. I loved writing Murder, Mi Amore and revisiting Italy. The werewolf story I mention is now published. It's called Cursed Mates, and it's available at Noble Romance Publishing.

Sandra Edwards said...

Awesome interview, Cara! I'm so excited to have downloaded Murder, Mi Amore onto my Kindle :-)

Sandy

Robin said...

Love the interview. I'm so excited about your new book. I can't wait to tear into it -- you tell such great stories. Congrats!

Cara Marsi said...

Robin and Sandy

Thanks for your posts. I hope you enjoy Murder, Mi Amore.

Roni Denholtz said...

Wow, this sounds like an intriguing book! I want to read it! Carolyn, I was surprised that walking around in your house helps you when you get stuck. I wonder if I should try that!

www.vikkibakus.worpress.com said...

Wonderful interview, Cara! Cursed Mates sounds as delicious as Mi Amore. I bought my first True after your story was published. You have wonderful story variety! Congratulations on all of your accomplishments.

sue fineman said...

Cara, your characters jump off the page, and your settings are so real I feel like I'm there.

Cara Marsi said...

Thanks, Roni, Vikki and Sue.

Yes, Roni, it really helps to walk around my house. Vikki, it's cool you bought a True to read my story. Thanks. Sue, thanks for your kind words and for your help with Murder, Mi Amore.

Maeve said...

Great interview and I LOVE the sound of your book. *sigh* Looks like another one for my TBR pile!

Autumn Jordon said...

Murder, Mi Amore sounds intriguing. I love the fact you tied the two fountions together.
Wishing you mega sales, lady.

Roni Denholtz said...

Hmmm..maybe I do that in a way. I ofetn walk my dog to kind of clear my thoughts...maybe when I walk her I should be plotting...

P.L. Parker said...

Murder, Mi Amore sounds so exciting. I have to download that this weekend. Looking forward to reading it. Congratulations Cara!

J K Maze said...

Murder, Mi Amore sounds like a winner. I plan on reading it soon.

Having support from friends and family really helps. Somehow or other, there is always at least one person who doesn't give their support. I'm thankful for the ones who do.

Your walking around when stumped has got to be better than my way - I play cards on the computer. Inasmuch as I need exercise, I wonder if I can retrain myself. Good for you.

Thaniks for inviting us to this blog.

Joan

Lynn Reynolds said...

Hi Cara -

Murder Mi Amore is a great romantic suspense story. Can't wait to read Cursed Mates.

Love your walking strategy. Maybe I should get a dog, then I'd write more!

Kim Watters said...

Hi Cara,
I love the title of your book. And that it's set in Italy is another bonus. A great way to travel there without leaving your lounge chair. Can't wait to read it.

Cara Marsi said...

Thank you all for posting. I hope you all enjoy reading Murder, Mi Amore as much as I enjoyed writing it. I'm glad I could help with my walking thing.