Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Meet Alannah Lynne...finalist in Writing with the Stars!!!!

Give a warm welcome to Alannah Lynne, who is one of the top ten finalists in the Writing with the Stars contest sponsored by Romantic Times Magazine and Kensington books.


1. Tell us a little about LAST CALL.

A bar owner’s refusal to sell her property could cost her her life. (I don’t think I can give you the whole back cover copy, because that’s one of the challenges. And RT might get upset if I post that copy somewhere else first)



2. How long did it take for you to write it?

7 weeks! I decided at the beginning of May to enter the Writing With the Stars Contest. I originally started revising a fallen/guardian angel story. Then, about two weeks in, I realized I couldn’t tone that story down enough to fit the Brava line (it’s more suited for Aphrodisia). At that point, I went to work on LAST CALL. I’d written it last year, but originally it was only 60K words (it needed to be 80K for the contest), and in a computer crash I’d lost 20K of the original 60K.

In essence, I started over. I used very little of the original version, and I finished it in 7 weeks.



3. Tell us a little about your reaction when you got "the call" from Kensington?

I was discussing my website with Jimmy Thomas via Facebook. I was typing the comment: “When, not if (I’m thinking positive) I final in the Kensington Brava WWTS contest I’m going to change my website.”

The phone started ringing as I typed that sentence. I finished the sentence, hit the “comment” button and answered the phone. I was so shocked, for a minute I thought I was hallucinating. LOL Then I squealed and ran back to my computer to send Jimmy an OMG-you’ll-never-believe-this message.

Halfway to my desk, I came to my senses. LOL I was still on the phone with Megan Records, so I skidded to a stop and said, “I can’t tell anyone about this, can I?”

She laughed, and confirmed that I couldn’t share the news until RT broke the story on their website September 1st. That was the longest 2 weeks of my life!! LOL



4. How is it going working with HelenKay Dimon?

There are not enough gushy words to describe how awesome HelenKay is! Seriously! We had to have all five of the challenges turned in on September 7th (the Tuesday after Labor Day). She spent the entire weekend e-mailing back and forth with me, helping me get the challenges as polished and perfect as I could get them.

There are no words to describe how patient and encouraging she has been. Not only while we were working on the challenges, but in the time since. She’s a fabulous writer and mentor, and a darn nice person!


5. Finally, tell us why we should vote for LAST CALL.....


You know, I would love to beg everyone to go vote for LAST CALL, but instead, I’m just going to beg everyone to go vote. All ten of us (the finalists) have worked hard to get to this point, and I really wish we could all win. I encourage your readers to go to the RTbookreviews.com website and read all the entries. If there is another entry they feel is more deserving than LAST CALL, show that author some love in the form of a vote. :) Whoever gets the vote will appreciate it.

*********

Learn more about the contest (and how to vote) by clicking here.

And be sure to visit Alannah's website at http://www.alannahlynne.com/

6 comments:

Evangeline Holland said...

Great responses to the questions!

And wow--seven weeks!? That really pushes me to go beyond the limitations I think I can achieve.

Congrats!

LaVerne Thompson said...

Way to go Alannah. I voted.

LaVerne

katcantrell said...

Alannah, 7 weeks! I really wanted to enter Writing with the Stars but I didn't have anything long enough finished. I'm sorry now I didn't try harder. You've inspired me today. :)

Alannah Lynne said...

Hi Evangeline - thank you so much for dropping by and visiting with me at these guest blogs today!!

It's amazing what we can accomplish in 7 weeks. Had I realized what I'd be doing when I started, I probably would have talked myself out of it.

As it was, I didn't have time to get all up in my head, and worry about if I could finish, yada yada...all those things that normally go through my head. LOL

I didn't have time to think about anything but getting the words on the page. You can do it too!!!

Alannah Lynne said...

Big hugs for LaVerne - thank you for your vote. And thanks for hanging out with me today around the blogosphere. Good thing you didn't have anything else to do today!! LOL

Alannah Lynne said...

Kat - that's one of the nicest things I could hear. I'm glad I could be an inspiration. I love to be a cheerleader for others!!

Let me know what you're working on, and what your deadline is, and maybe we can work on ours together. Keep each other going and encouraged. Drop me a line through Divas if you're interested. :)

Hugs!
Alannah