Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Carly Phillips answers your questions....

Remember a month ago when I ran a contest where you asked questions for Carly Phillips and I told you she would answer your questions? Well, here are the questions and her responses:


1. When you are writing a series, do you ever get so attached to characters that you want to keep writing about them?

I connect with all of my characters on some level or I wouldn't be able to get into their heads, but I'm also always happy to finish a book! I definitely get attached to my characters, but also ready to let them go when it's time.

2. Who are some of your favorite romance authors?
 The Plotmonkeys of course ;) Janelle Denisen, Julie Leto and Leslie Parrish. I also love to read Victoria Dahl, Erin McCarthy, Rachel Gibson, Toni Blake, and Jill Shalvis. Recently I've dipped a toe into paranormal reads and fell in love with Larissa Ione, Nalini Singh, Meaghan Hatfield and more!

3. Have you thought about ever branching out into other genres?

No, I enjoy writing light and sexy contemporary romances about family and relationships though my next series for Berkley will be a bit deeper. More like my earlier books, CROSS MY HEART and SEALED WITH A KISS. I did think about it briefly and decided I'm too happy doing what I do!

4. How did you start writing?

When I was home with a colicky baby (my eldest daughter), I read romances to help relieve the stress of parenting. The books really helped keep my sanity LOL and it wasn’t long before I tried writing my own romances. With my husband’s support, I wrote around the baby’s schedule … 10 completed manuscripts and 7 years later, I sold my first book!

5. Do you listen to music while you write or does it have to be silent?

Actually I usually have the TV on. I am a HUGE General Hospital fan LOL. I can write amidst chaos. I'm one of those odd ducks!

6. From KISS ME IF YOU CAN, what scene did you have the most fun writing?

Any scene with Charlotte and Sylvia was fun to write. I loved the one where they tie up "Ricky" the best!

7. Do you "write" your characters' personalities first & then just let them loose & see what they'll do, or do you think of the situation & outcome & then make up the personalities to suit the story?

Good question! I usually think of a situation, then craft character around the situation; OR I'll do character's GMC and make them fit each other, then work out the rest of the scenario, but I usually have a sense of the story first. Especially in a series, where I've already done one or two books, then characters have already begun to be set. That's challenging for me though, because I'm a pantser at heart and I like to see where characters take me, so I hate tying them down too specifically in one book and being stuck in the next!

8. Do you have any unique routine you do each day as part of your writing?

I started using "Write or Die", which is an application that lets me time myself writing, and forces me to push out scenes. I love to be able to sit down in the morning and write, and know I have page count done for the day. Then I can do touch ups in the afternoon. I write at my recliner using my laptop!

9. Do you have input into your covers and titles?

At this point in my career, yes, thank goodness! Sometimes it doesn't work out, but I foresee good things going forward.

10. What are you currently reading?

I started a Nalini Singh book in her Psy-Changeling series, read through two books and I'm on book 3. I love finding an author that's new to me, with tons of new books in a series ahead of me to read!


Learn more about Carly by visiting www.carlyphillips.com

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

She's such a good author. One of my favorite contemporary romance favorites