Monday, July 05, 2010

Guest Blog: Tessa Adams asks 'Why are Shapeshifters So Sexy?'

When my editor first approached me about writing a paranormal series, I spent a lot of time thinking about kind of series I wanted to write. Did I want to do vampires, who are admittedly very sexy but at the same time have so many different series out that I wasn’t sure I could come up with an original idea? Did I want to do witches, who I love to read about or did I want to have the series be connected through my heroes instead of my heroines? Did I want to do fairies or immortal warriors or psychics? The list went on and on, but even as I considered each choice (all of which I really love reading) a part of me knew that I was going to write about shifters all along. There’s just something about them—the ability to change form, all that animal magnetism, all that heat and sexiness and darkness—that I just can’t resist, as a reader or a writer.

And that’s when my new series idea, Dragon’s Heat, was born—a group of dragon shifters who live in the caves of the modern day New Mexico desert. Struggling to keep themselves hidden despite their war with another clan and a disease ravaging their people, my shifters are searching for their place in a world that doesn’t believe in dragons. Tall, dark, tortured and sexy as all get out, it’s been a joy to write the first two books in the series and I’m looking forward to writing the third in the next couple of months.

But what is it about shifters that is so sexy? What is it about them that appeals to me so much? Is it the fact that most of them have dark, tortured pasts? Probably, as I love to put my characters through the wringer. Or maybe it’s the fact that they’re always walking a fine line between being in control and out of control. All that heat and passion and emotion right on the brink of exploding always gets to me. Whether I’m reading Nalini Singh’s Psy/Changeling series or Patricia Briggs’s Mercy series, I’m always sucked into the angst and struggle and search for identity that most shifters must go through.

So what do you think? What is your favorite type of paranormal creature to read about (if you like paranormal creatures, that is)? And if that type happens to be shifters, what is it about them that you find so irresistible? Since I’m anxiously awaiting the release of Dark Embers, my first Dragon’s Heat novel which hits shelves on Tuesday, I thought I’d give away a copy here. So leave a comment to be entered in the contest.


-------------

Learn more about Tessa Adams by clicking here.

24 comments:

debbie said...

I really like the shifters. I think it is the strong connection to an animal, that I find interesting. I would love to read your book.

elaing8 said...

I like all sorts of paranormal creatures.I like the shifter stories,the alpha protective males that will do anything for their loved ones.
I also like vampires,the tortured hero,mysterious,handsome and protective too.
Dragon stories I've recently started reading and love them.I cannot wait to read Dark Embers

aromagik said...

Although I think vampires are actually my favorites, I like shifters because they're usually so earthy and intense. That makes for a really delicious hero, I think. :)

~Lindy

throuthehaze said...

I like all different types of paranormal creatures. Vampires and shifters are some of my faves.

Anonymous said...

I love paranormal from the serious to the offbeat and funny. There is something special about the majesty and power of dragons and I would love to win your book.

tetewa said...

Vampires are my favorites with shifters coming in a close second!

chey said...

I'd like to read about unicorns. I haven't read about them yet.

chey127 at hotmail dot com

Cybercliper said...

I love the paranormal - especially shifters. I think it's the dual nature that intrigues me - the struggle between the animalistic and the human side makes for great passion in everything they do. annhonATaolDOTcom

joder said...

I enjoy shifters, especially wolves. They're sexy, strong, and mate for life.

joderjo402 AT gmail DOT com

jeanette8042 said...

My favorite paranormal creature is vampires because they got me hooked on this genre in the first place and they're hot too.

Armenia said...

I enjoy wolf shifters as they are very protective, loyal and sexy.

CrystalGB said...

My favorite paranormal creatures are shapeshifters. I like them because you never know what is lurking below the surface. You never get bored with a shapeshifter. ;)

Estella said...

I like dragon shifters but my favorite paranormal creature is the vampire( at least right now).

Cathy M said...

I love shifter stories, especially with wolves and the big cats. But you can't get much bigger than a dragon, and you just might give me a new shifter to love.

Congrats on your new release, Tracy.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Chelsea B. said...

I really love both Shifters and Vampires! And I don't really know--I guess everyone just has their own reasons for finding shifters irresistible :-) I like them because, usually, you know they are going to be strong, protective, touch my woman/man and die types, and whats better then that? :-)

Pam P said...

Love dragon shifters. What I like about shifters - unique and dangerous and edgy, so complex dealing with dual natures.

Sherry said...

I love shifters and my favorite of them is wolf shifters. I love how they are so alpha. Sometimes you just need a man that is totally in charge.

sstrode@scrtc.com

Sue A. said...

My old favorite was the vampire, but my latest are werewolves. I just like the pack dynamics of wolves.

Martha Lawson said...

I like shifters of all kinds, but I especially like dragon shifters! I guess because I haven't read alot of dragon books! I'm glad to see more of them coming out. I can't wait to read this one. Maybe I'll get lucky and win it!!!

mlawson17 at hotmail dot com

flchen1 said...

I do happen to be a shifters fan--I guess it's that combination of animal and human that makes them especially intriguing to me :) And it's exciting to see the best of both of those in one creature. Dragons are definitely a favorite--they can be so beautiful and powerful!

Happy new series, Tessa!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

catslady said...

I probably like any kind of cat first but I really enjoy them all and as others have said, it's the animal part of us that I think makes it so fascinating. After all, we are animals lol. And your cover is extremely sexy!

Congrats on a new series - it does sound wonderful.

catslady5(at)aol.com

Cherie J said...

I love shifters and I am a huge fan of Nalini Singh's psy/changleing series. I love the fact that shifters are so primal. The males are so possessive and protective of their mates. They understand the importance of family and would die for theirs. That all just appeals to me greatly.

limecello said...

Hm... I used to love the "traditional" paranormals most - vampires. But I think I've been won over by shifters. I like that they're human, and not. So they can be more normal...ish.
Also there's something compelling about their animalistic sides.
And I love Nalini Singh's Psy/Changeling books as well!

Caffey said...

Dragon shifters and your setting in Mexico is so unique! I'm excited about this series. I love shape shifters for all the uniqueness they bring too. You so never know what their world is until you get into reading it! I think too that makes them so irresistible, that they are unique and I get to grow on them as I get to know them!