Thursday, June 24, 2010

Spotlight Review: CRUSH ON YOU by Christie Ridgway

Be sure to see below*


CRUSH ON YOU – Christie Ridgway
Three Kisses, Book 1
Berkley Sensation
ISBN: 978-0-425-23513-3
June 2010
Contemporary Romance

Napa Valley, California – Present Day

Five years ago, Alessandra Baci was about to marry, but all that shattered within a matter of minutes. She still hasn’t fully recovered and is nicknamed the “Nun of Napa” by friends. She and her two sisters, Stevie and Giuliana, have run the Tanti Baci winery in Napa Valley since their father’s death just three months ago. In the process of remodeling a cottage on the property that they can rent out for weddings, the man they hired decides he has a better deal somewhere else and walks off the job. But a new man in town, Penn Bennett, offers to fill in. He rubs Alessandra the wrong way, and she tries to turn him down, but what excuse can you offer when Penn Bennett happens to be the host of a hot home renovation television series?

Penn just recently connected with his half brothers and is in town staying with them. The Tanti Baci winery is next door to the Bennett property, so it doesn’t take long to meet the neighbors. Alessandro has her hackles up, especially when he generously offers to remodel the cottage in time for her best friend’s upcoming wedding. He also cons her into helping him, and a few battles later, an intense attraction develops. But why would he even think he could get involved with the notorious Nun of Napa?

In the start of a new series by Christie Ridgway, we are introduced to the Baci sisters, who are close-knit and trying to keep the family winery running. Opening the cottage as a wedding destination seems like a good idea, but with their first wedding looming in not too many weeks, it suddenly becomes a battle when the contractor quits. Enter Penn and his offer. Alessandra knows she should be grateful to have someone famous and good at his job in her court. But he rubs her wrong in several ways, and the fact that the way she reacts about some of the “rubs” has her feeling as if she’s betrayed her past somehow.

Penn can’t understand why he lets the prickly Alessandra get under his skin, but he also knows she needs to let go of the past. Convincing her is going to very hard to do. Penn himself has a few issues—namely coming to terms with getting to know his half-brothers and realizing that maybe he does like them rather than resent them for having a father in their lives, something Penn never had. Meanwhile, several encounters later with Alessandra leave him hot and bothered. Can he finish the construction on the cottage without giving in to his desire for the beautiful, but frozen Nun of Napa?

CRUSH ON YOU is well written and highly entertaining. Alessandra is sympathetic, yet her history never lets readers wallow in her past. I’m not going to give away all the facts of her fateful wedding day five years ago, but trust me when I say it’s understandable why she’s been shut away emotionally since then. The entrance of Penn into her life stirs up her emotions and brings her alive, though not in the way she wants. (LOL) Penn is a hot television star but doesn’t have a big ego and will do most anything to help people out—including Alessandra.

A sizzling hot tale that will make you laugh and make you cry, I highly recommend you pick up CRUSH ON YOU for some entertaining reading that is time well spent.

Patti Fischer



* Want to win a copy of this book? Then post away and I will pick a winner on Sunday night. One entry per person, US and Canada residents only.

23 comments:

Laurie said...

I enjoy Christie's humor!

I'd love to read Crush On You set in the beautiful Napa Valley winery area of California.

I want to find out how Penn breaks Alessandra out of her past memories.

Dawn said...

This is a new author for me and it sounds like a good book.

Dawn ♥ romance
d53a@aol.com

Karen H in NC said...

Sounds like a great beach read. Christie is a new-to-me author. Count me in on this draw please.

Cecile said...

Okay... your review has got me interested! Please count me in this one!
You did a great job at reviewing it!
alliwantandmorebooks@gmail.com

Natasha A. said...

This looks like a great fun read! Excellent review! Thank you! I am definitely interested in reading this!

elaing8 said...

This sounds really good.I have never read anything from this author before.
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

CrystalGB said...

Great review. Sounds wonderful. What a pretty cover.

tetewa said...

A new author for me, sounds good!

Maureen said...

It looks like a good story and I would love to win it.

Armenia said...

Patti, thanks for the recommendation. I love a story with love and humor. Christie Ridgeway is a new-to-me author and would love to give her a try.

runner10 said...

I would love to read Christie's book. I've read so many good reviews.

Jane said...

"Crush On You" sounds great. Thanks for the giveaway.

LSUReader said...

This sounds like a fun read. Count me in, please. Thanks.

flchen1 said...

This sounds cute--haven't read her writing before, actually!

Linda Henderson said...

I've always enjoyed her books, this one sounds like a great read.

Estella said...

I'm looking forward to this new series!

Caffey said...

Wow, that does sound sizzling! I read one of Christine's but can't remember title so I must go check! I think I too have one or two yet of hers to read. But this new series I shall be watching for. If I read it right, the hero Penn is a construction guy, Yum!

gigi said...

This sounds like another winning book from Christie. I have always enjoyed reading her stories and wedding type stories are a big favorite of mine.

Mitzi H. said...

Hahaha....Nun of Napa. Love it!!!
Sounds like a fun story...perfect for the beach!!! Count me in.

mitzihinkey at sbcglobal dot net

acdaisy95 said...

New author to me. Sounds great!

Chelsea B. said...

Sounds like a cute and entertaining read!

cheryl c said...

I am excited when I hear about a new and fun contemporary romance. We need more contemporaries on the store shelves. Thanks for the review and the giveaway.

Kathleen O said...

Christie is an auto buy for me and I already have this on my shelve...